Washers fell into the holes!

Tungsten

HELP!! I was changing my mirrors and on the right side, when I was remounting the seal (the rubber triangle thing) the washers on the other side popped off and fell into the holes in the door. Now there is like no way to get them out. They are in that stupid welded bracket section of the door too. Should I just drill a hole toward the lower part and get the washers out?

You could try using one of those extendable magnets to fish them out, or just buy some new washers at the hardware store and forgetta bout them.

Those washers are aluminum and do not respond to magnetic forces.

I don't know there is almost no space to stick anything in. If you remove that seal you will see there is no room. I see those washers fall into that abyss on many Pathfinders. They are there so that when you tighten the screw, it doesn't go through the seal. If only they at least closed that gap between the door and the two bottom holes. I can drill a hole to get the washers out with the claw though.

If they're aluminum, maybe try the same idea of one of those extendable magnet rod deals (they've saved my arse more than once), but put a dab of grease or vasolene on the end for "stick." If you can at least stick magnetically or other, and pull it up high, arm your other hand with needle nose pliers or something at the top if the opening is tight. Sorry, never dealt with your particular stuck situation, but I've seen a few. If not, I agree on the buy more and forget. :aok:

Apparently there are small rectangular exit holes on the bottom of the door. I got 2 washers out and the third one probably fell through and rolled away somewhere.

When installing the triangle piece of the mirror, put the screws through it first and then the washers on the back. Do not remove the screws or the washers will fall through the door. Japanese ingenuity for the success!

Those things are actually steel and can be picked up by a magnet but because they are so tiny and weird, the magnet stick has a tough time grabbing them.

So, anyone got a spare? :laugh:

Edited by Tungsten