Brake problems with larger tires?

psychopathy

I've heard many times that I'll have brake problems if I go with 32 inch tires. Supposed to stay within 3% of stock size. I'm wanting to lift my 03 this fall and go with what alot of people do on here. 2" AC lift and all that good stuff with 32 inch tires.

So....how bout it people with this setup (or larger). Any brake problems out there???

I run 33in BFG AT's on a 2in lift. Sure it does not brake like a sports car but it stops when you need it too. Just have to beware that you need a bit of extra space, and I typically am the only person driving my truck so I know how she handles and what to prepare for. When I move up to steel wheels and 35's new brakes will be in order.

You shouldn't have any issues. Obviously larger tires will create larger stopping distances but the r50's brakes are more than adequate from the factory and like andrew said people are running 32's and 33's on them with no issues. Actually, I've driven 01silvapathy's truck and his brakes seemed just fine to me.

Don't think 32" tires will get you near there, but once the tire size gets to about +10%, i believe, your ABS system will stop functioning properly.

For me ABS works fine with 33" tires. However, the stopping distance is noticeably worse between the bigger tires and added weight from bumpers skids sliders etc.

Be sure to adjust the load sensing valve in the rear, search 'LSV' for instructions.

I've been running 32" tires (265/75R16) for the last two and a half years and it feels pretty much the same to stock. In other words, the difference is negligible. The stock braking isn't all that fantastic, anyway.

not trying to put you on blast, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement to make unless you've done all the road style brake testing that is done on vehicles when they go through an actual road test in stock form and modified form. if you haven't, then the brakes do not feel anything like stock, period. that's a statement that should not be made to someone who isn't sure of what to expect or anything like that.

again, not trying to start anything, just saying. :)

not trying to put you on blast, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement to make unless you've done all the road style brake testing that is done on vehicles when they go through an actual road test in stock form and modified form. if you haven't, then the brakes do not feel anything like stock, period. that's a statement that should not be made to someone who isn't sure of what to expect or anything like that.

Blast away. I was expecting it. :whistle:

Clearly, I'm not a road test assessor so no need to read into what I posted to that degree. ;)

But here's my scenario. My '98 with 2" lift and 32" tires brakes the same as my friend's bone-stock '98. I've driven both, and both feel the same when I apply the brakes, be it at 50km/h, 80km/h or 120km/h. I'm going on some very simple findings I came across based on my own curiosity.

I'm basing what I said on the fact that a 2" lift and larger tires didn't significantly alter braking on my rig. This is an SUV so braking performance on these R50's isn't necessarily a focal point.

The difference IS negligible. Unless my experience is an exception to the rule. :scratchhead:

Have you ever driven a R50 with 32's or larger tires? Im just saying that people who have driven both stock and lifted trucks with bigger tires would know the differences over someone who has only driven stock :aok:

i had problems with cheap rotors matched with 32's. Brake fade, very long braking distances.

now got brembo rotors and 31's, it can lock them up now.

Edited by FUELER

Meh, to a degree. But this mod is actually much easier than it looks. It's just a matter of taking the time to do it. ;)

From what I have read on other forums about people who do the sawps its super time consuming and you need specialized tools to do it. Its just not worth it in my eyes. The rear drums have held up great all these years and probably will keep doing so for many more to come :aok:

Have you ever driven a R50 with 32's or larger tires? Im just saying that people who have driven both stock and lifted trucks with bigger tires would know the differences over someone who has only driven stock :aok:

Not on an R50, but on a WD21, armada, tundra, and an older chrerokee as far as vehicles that i've driven regularly (less experience on the tundra though). I've also gotten a lot of time on various SUVs in a on/off road road course with Rod Hall through my work, but no. Never on an R50.

What has to be understood at the same time is that many that have upgraded their tires, like yourself 01silvapathy, have upgraded your tires when you increased the size. IIRC, you were on some michelin cross terrains, then upgraded to some bfg all terrains. The bfgs undoubtedly have better traction on the road than the cross terrains did/do since the cross terrains are simply a street tire.

Again, i wasn't trying to get on tekaz or anyone else. Just saying that a statement like "it feels almost the same as stock" isn't true and shouldn't be said to someone who doesn't appear to know what to expect. That's all i'm saying. :)

Truce. ;)

Meh, to a degree. But this mod is actually much easier than it looks. It's just a matter of taking the time to do it. ;)

in all the years ive been on these boards, i have never once seen or read about a rear disc conversion on an R50.

in all the years ive been on these boards, i have never once seen or read about a rear disc conversion on an R50.

Nobody has ever done one on a r50, but there have been numerous people who have done them on the h233b axle which is identical to the one in our trucks :handlebars:

From what I have read on other forums about people who do the sawps its super time consuming and you need specialized tools to do it. Its just not worth it in my eyes. The rear drums have held up great all these years and probably will keep doing so for many more to come :aok:

Nobody has ever done one on a r50, but there have been numerous people who have done them on the h233b axle which is identical to the one in our trucks :handlebars:

Exactly. If it can be done a D22 Frontier, it can be done on the R50. :aok:

There is a write-up link on this forum, BTW.

Well we can put it this way...

Braking sucks with stock tire size and braking sucks with larger tires. So there really isn't a difference.

VERY well put...braking does suck either way......... sooooooooo there!!!

Tye

Then again...now that i think about it...when i had the thing apart last week...the pads were low and the rotors were really glazed over!!

my bad!!

Edited by ty01pathfinder

VERY well put...braking does suck either way......... sooooooooo there!!!

Tye

Then again...now that i think about it...when i had the thing apart last week...the pads were low and the rotors were really glazed over!!

my bad!!

It's interesting to me that several folks in this thread have commented about dissatisfaction with R50 braking..yet when I recently started a thread intended to seek improved braking performance via slotted and/or drilled rotors many commented that they were either unnecessary or would not provide noticeable improvement. Just an interesting observation is all. IF the R50 braking is so bad...what can one do to improve it...other than a rear drum to disc swap. I'm going with plain old rotors but just find it hard to believe that slotted/drilled is all just for a fashion show. Anywho....

To the OP...in theory I would think that braking performance would degrade with increased tire diameter...all other things being equal. I mean...isn't the point of using larger diameter rotors to improve braking? By increasing rotor size with a given tire/wheel combo..one decreases the difference between rotor diameter and tire diameter to get better braking. Go the other way...and increase the diameter difference and that should decrease braking performance, no? Just another possibly weird way of looking at it. Now...at what point can one NOTICE or even MEASURE any of this to make the differences meaningfulwhen pressing that pedal next to the gas...well that's another question altogether I suppose.

Edited by piste