College DD

OldSlowReliable

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which car should I take

• Take the pathfinder only.
    • Take the malibu only.
    • Take the malibu and hopefully take pathfinder down later.

Sorry if this is too in depth...

1991 Pathfinder

What it has

3" BL

3" SL

No rear sway bar

(5) 33" bfg/at brand new on soft 8 rims

Autotragic

Custom front bumper/sliders

Inconspicuous valve tap

Leaking exhaust gaskets

Rusty

Holds 60/65 comfortably

Not exactly the smoothest/most quiet drive

Noticable in a parking lot

Dripping most if not all fluids (however slow)

Horrid gas mileage

Second set of 235/75/15 usable tires

PLPD

What it needs

Brakes (atleast a full check of all pads/shoes and rotors/drums)

Shocks

Alarm

Wheel locks

4.9 gears (I wish)

Timing belt

Why its good/bad

I know a ton about this vehicle, and can fix just about anything that goes wrong, in a parking lot.

Won't fit in parking structure

Already has new rims/tires with a spare set in storage.

I would be able to hang out with the local wheeling club and go on impromptu wheeling trips to very close locations (sand dunes/club land/wheeling park)

Someone could steal tires/rims unless I get a really good alarm.

Probably not comfortable for passengers who I will be transporting on the 4.5 hr trip home on big breaks from other colleges (friends from highschool)

4wd for kalamazoo winters.

1998 chevrolet malibu

what it has

new front brakes

corroded rims and balding tires

increasingly worrying valve tap

sound system w/deck

comfy seating

anti-theft (not real alarm though)

fwd

inconspicuous

22/24 mpg city/hwy

Pleasure for trips

Year old battery

3-5 year old struts

mini-spare

cheaper to tint

comfortably holds 120 on highway

what it needs

preferably tint

rims/tires

why it is good/bad

easily parks and fits in structure (dunno if I'll be parking in one)

can't go wheeling

notoriously goes through pads/rotors

85k miles

don't know this vehicle nearly as well, and although its easier to work on (less rust issues), its a chevy and therefore kinda backwards when it comes to engineering.

Would most likely be a better car to take friends back home with (albeit I'd have a harder time in snowy weather)

Alright. Now you have a basic idea of my options. Here is the situation.

I get to take a car to western michigan university for my freshman year, as its 3 hours away and otherwise my mom would have to drive 12 hours a visit just to pick me up for a weekend holiday.

Up until last week, it was a given that the pathy would be stored away in the garage while I did my college/navy thing, and I would take the malibu to college because its more streetable. Now she is saying that maybe the pathy is a better choice because its older, I know more about it (alot less suprises) it has 4wd, and I would be able to keep a hobby going at college. This came up after a talk about storing it down by me instead of up at the house 3 hours north.

Since the pathfinder has the new tires and rims, thats taking one thing off the list of to-dos as the malibu is in dire need of new rims/tires (apx $400-$600 for a whole set). What she doesn't know, is that to be really comfortable driving it that much with other people it would need a few things that can get costly (the pathfinder that is).

I brought this topic to NPORA because you guys know pathfinders well, and how they can be sometimes, and I was afraid I'd get "shoulda bought a jeep" or "take the truck so you can just go wheeling all the time" at the other 4x4 site I use.

I'd love to take the pathfinder (and after 1st semester probably would take it down with me anyways), but it just doesn't seem like the benefits outweight the things it would need to survive. The big thing is, that I would be in charge of caring for it instead of my mom, and she would have a small summer DD (my malibu) and use her jeep in winter instead of another 4wd(pathfinder).

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Simple fact...you will get noticed. Whenever im driving around my campus people notice me cause of my rig. Some say cause of the "mickey Mouse" roof lights others just cause of the style. But chicks dig trucks and big things so id say take the pathy. I even get notes left on my windows :sly:

Photo-0018.jpg

When I was parked like this in the school lot :takebow:

Photo-0017.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

I wish I had a simple answer for you but I don't. Your post caught my attention because I'm stuck in a situation of trying to use an older Pathfinder as a DD right now and it's not really up to the task without spending some serious money.

But I am gonna make two points:

The only notes you'll get on the Malibu are "Next time you go to Walmart take me with you"

And if you keep the Pathfinder parked around a college campus make sure you put a hidden fuel cutoff or another anti-theft device on it.

Edited by dhardison

And if you keep the Pathfinder parked around a college campus make sure you put a hidden fuel cutoff or another anti-theft device on it.

Yeah, I was going to put either a fuel pump switch or a starter cutoff along with the alarm.

I would take the pathfinder, like you said you know how to work on it more, It will leave you a hobby while you are down there, and like said before chicks dig trucks. Or just sale the malibu so you have more money to fix the things you don't like about your pathfinder.

When I moved away from my hometown area,, (country in Oregon grew up wheeling) I moved to the city to go to collage, my family talked me into saleing my 4x4 and getting a car for in city driving. Note i had been building the old jeep grand wagoneer for years and there was nothing stock left on it. I have regretted letting them talk me into it ever sence.

I'd take the pathy,like you said its easy to spot and you know about it.I'd take mine to school because its a damn dependable rig.If you changed the t-belt on it...

I'm worried that if its easy to spot for me, then its easy to spot for someone who wants to vandalize a vehicle. The area that it will be residing in isn't exactly crime-free

pull the fuel pump fuse...

If I gotta drive it every other day, that would get really annoying :tongue:

Thats a good idea with the fuel cutoff somewhere. But the campus cops at my school are pretty legit they all know me and my buddies by name and the trucks we drive so im not worried.

Yeah, the school actually has sworn sheriff deputies as a police department (not the college kids with mace) but if I park way out in the middle of nowhere (freshman parking most likely) Idk how much they watch that area

I don't know what people are like over there, but I recall college as being one of the safest and crime free environments I have ever experienced, not to mention during any 'normal' hours, there are always people walking around, coming and going. You should be just as concerned driving around and parking/going into supermarkets.

End of the day, if someone messes with it, so be it. Are you not going to enjoy what you have because something might happen to it? Just put in a disconnect switch in it and try not to have $1000 worth of exterior, bolt on goodies on it. You know the vehicle, can work on it, and it should be pretty reliable. Sure, the gas mileage isn't great, but then you shouldn't be spending a lot of time driving around, you should be spending a lot of time in class and doing homework... ;)

B

I don't know what people are like over there, but I recall college as being one of the safest and crime free environments I have ever experienced, not to mention during any 'normal' hours, there are always people walking around, coming and going. You should be just as concerned driving around and parking/going into supermarkets.

End of the day, if someone messes with it, so be it. Are you not going to enjoy what you have because something might happen to it? Just put in a disconnect switch in it and try not to have $1000 worth of exterior, bolt on goodies on it. You know the vehicle, can work on it, and it should be pretty reliable. Sure, the gas mileage isn't great, but then you shouldn't be spending a lot of time driving around, you should be spending a lot of time in class and doing homework... ;)

B

I should mention that it will have to make 9 hour round trips back home filled with me(270lbs) and 3 other people (sub 170 each lol) plus bicycles and laundry, lol... about every 6 weeks or so for dorm closings.

We will see how the malibu rims go, I may register both vehicles and try each one out for a while.

Truethfully I dont think you will have a problem,I would leave the keys in my ignition with the window down at my school and no buddy ever bothered it.Most people thought of it as an eye sore with the clumps of sod on the roof but still,if you dont have a spendy deck or subs and bongs in it nobuddy will pay it any mind.

And,the 76 el camino came with a battory kill switch new...

When I made my statement about the anti-theft device I wasn't thinking so much about on campus theft or even being parked in a dorm parking lot at night. I worked for the IT department of a college for 16 years and most campus security, at least where I worked, was very good.

I was thinking more about parking on the outskirts of the college, the side streets etc., for all the extracurricular activities. Old Pathfinders seem to be like older Hondas and some other cars that don't have an ignition key security chip. Easy to steal, easy to sell the parts, stuff like that.

Just reminiscing about some of my college student nights going out to the clubs and having to park 5 blocks away in an alley on an unlighted street.

Edited by dhardison

On monday I'll be making the call to the campus PD to get info on parking/security, if I have to park in the parking structure, its a definate no-go because it is about a foot too tall (not even including CB antenna and radio antenna).

If I can get good in-campus parking that'd be great and all but its a large campus with lots of the parking being out at the practice fields and such, which are up to a mile away from the main campus center.

They also say that each student will have one computer stolen while at the school...I wonder about cars

Ok, I've said my take so you'll just have to sort it out yourself, but I feel the need to point out some things.

I should mention that it will have to make 9 hour round trips back home filled with me(270lbs) and 3 other people (sub 170 each lol) plus bicycles and laundry, lol... about every 6 weeks or so for dorm closings.

9 hour round trips every 6 weeks? :rolleyes:

You will spend more time than that every 6 weeks throwing up but it won't stop you...

270?? Holy Crap!! Step away from the buffet!!! P...

They also say that each student will have one computer stolen while at the school...I wonder about cars

Where the hell are you going to school?? :blink:

Let's put it this way. Computers are a whole lot easier to carry, hide and sell.

How many students wind up dropping, losing or selling their computers for beer $ and then report it stolen?? :scratchhead:

Thanks, I needed that :D

B

I'd like to see a malibu do exactly what you said you wanted to do. Where you gonna put the bikes? the tiny ass trunk?

It actually has alot of trunk space (once I sell my subwoofer) and I bought a trunk based bike rack that holds 4 bikes. I do know that the back seat is significantly more comfortable and it has a much more pleasant highway life than the pathfinder (pathy downshifts on hills, is loud, and noticably stiffer than the malibu)

9 hour round trips every 6 weeks? :rolleyes:

You will spend more time than that every 6 weeks throwing up but it won't stop you...

270?? Holy Crap!! Step away from the buffet!!! P...

I'm big boned! I swear! ;)

I just wasn't sure if the pathfinder would really be UP to a 4.5 hour each way highway and major city driving.

Edited by OldSlowReliable

i got a 2000 malibu, with some winter tires it is quite able. those 3.1 v6 are bulletproof. Its taken my abuse and still is reliable. id say take the 'Bu.

really? they don't eat intake gaskets? every motor has a weak link. None of them are completly problem free and any of them can break down at any time. A showroom fresh new car with single didget miles can blow a motor or transmission as it rolls off the dealer lot. People panic too much over age and mileage. MAINTAIN YOUR STUFF AND IT GENERALLY WILL BE FINE/LAST LONGER! (I said generally) I ain't voting either way... Take the one YOU prefer. You wanna roll around in grandma's pre-Buick, enjoy the pro's of it... same goes if you take the Pathfinder, just look forward to your perks...

And put down the fork! :FartExplode-vi:

Edited by nunya

I had a camaro when I started going to school and specifically bought a pathy for traveling as I needed more space for my stuff, and at the time my friend going to the same school as me didn't have a car either. I went with the pathy and have loved every minute of it. Never had any problems with break ins, there are a lot of nicer cars than a WD21 out there to break in to.... good luck on the decision and hope it works out! beer.gif