I need to gain an inch

jj big shoe

I just got some hefty 33x13.5x15 Super Swampers and need more lift. I've already got the 2 1/2"-3" suspension lift but only a 2" body lift (I don't really like body lifts) and these monsters rub bad. I'm definately going to have to trim and bang even with another 1" lift on the body.

My real question is, how unsafe is adding a 1" disc to each 2" lift mount? I would try to screw, bolt or epoxy the 1" spacer to the 2" block for safety (well it sounds safer, eh?). I'm trying to go on the cheap and would rather not spend 130 bones on a new lift just to scrap the 2" lift I already have. I know it's not the proper way, but cash is waay tight for a while.

Why don't you pick up a 3" lift and sell the 2" after the swap? You're going to spend a bit on the longer hardware and pucks anyway. I'm sure there would be plenty of takers if you decided to go that route. You should be able to get $100 for it.

I thought about that but I wouldn't think the old lift would sell easily. I'll put a feeler in the parts section, though. I'm prolly going to end up getting a new 3" lift unless someone who knows could say for sure that a 1" hockey puck type lift stacked on my 2" lift wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by jj big shoe

I would feel better if YOU did it right.

Bigdave I selling his never installed 3"

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26758&view=findpost&p=502781

I bet you could offer him just over $100 for it since he wants some dough in his pocket for the 4th.

Edited by MY1PATH

Check craigslist's in near by area's too, I had originally bought a 2in lift (for the same reasons as you) but later decided that I would need a 3in to accomplish all of my mods. I found an unopened 3in lift on CL. Bought it, then sold my 2in to another member here :aok:

Buy a rod of UHMW polyethlyene or MD-fortified nylon rod a couple inches in diameter, and then use a miter saw and a drill press to cut the rod the length you need, drill 'em out for new bolts, and get to the hardware store for some nice 10.9 din rated hardware to put it all together. Its cool stuff. Self-lubricating, and tough. Nice thing about it is that it works with common woodworking tools. Total cost is about $35 for the rod, plus whatever the fasteners cost. You can make the lift any height you want, though I'd keep to less than 3", otherwise you can hose your frame.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Gray-Md-Nylon-Cast-Rod-NYLMCM.php?vid=201007022159-5p&sku=NYLMCM&qty=1&diameter=2.250&dim2=1

Edited by RJSquirrel

Stacking pucks on top of a BL soulds about as exciting as stacking lift blocks on a leaf sprung truck. That and I had to read twice anyway because all I saw at first was the title and RJSquirrel's comment "self-lubricating"...

Thanks for all the suggestions but after thinking it over, I'm going with buying a regular kit. I'm still going to need stuff like a gas filler extension and bumper brackets so the kit would be the way to go. For those who don't know, I'm all about "repurposing" things for my needs. But sometimes (usually) it ends up being a ton more work and costs only a small pecentage less when the project is finished.

The thing is I traded my wheels for these. Call it shrewed, call it impulsive, call it stupid, but now I can't move my truck. I was surfing Craigslist and found a guy who wanted to trade his Super Swampers for a more streetable tire, so we swapped. The rims are 15x10 with maybe 3.5" backspacing and the tires are 33x13.5, not exactly what I would've gone shopping for but I took the deal. I'm just hoping I can massage the sheet metal enough to make them work after the lift.

The adult in me is kicking himself for making such an impulsive decision and not thinking the whole project through, but the 12 year-old kid in me thinks they look badass.:aok:

Probably the best thing is getting the full kit. It will save you time since you won't have to engineer the system. I had intended that using the MD nylon rod you could cut full spacers, so you could sell off the old lift to recoup some $, not just make pucks.

good luck.

I just got some hefty 33x13.5x15 Super Swampers and need more lift. I've already got the 2 1/2"-3" suspension lift but only a 2" body lift (I don't really like body lifts) and these monsters rub bad. I'm definately going to have to trim and bang even with another 1" lift on the body.

My real question is, how unsafe is adding a 1" disc to each 2" lift mount? I would try to screw, bolt or epoxy the 1" spacer to the 2" block for safety (well it sounds safer, eh?). I'm trying to go on the cheap and would rather not spend 130 bones on a new lift just to scrap the 2" lift I already have. I know it's not the proper way, but cash is waay tight for a while.

Well lets look at it this way,it not that the tires are too tall,its that there too wide.If you have mud flaps/fender flairs then take them off,you will gain 3/4-1 inch of clearinse by just doing this.

And while your side wall says 33 inch tall its really just 32 something.

Yeah, but I'm going from 32s to 33s and side-by-side they are taller. I lifted and trimmed enough to clear my old tires at full compression and off-caber stuff, but looks like I'll have some trouble with these mostly due to the rim offset. It doesn't look like they'll tuck in easily after a taller BL even without the flares mounted.

I do better when I plan and think things out before diving in, mostly because I can do it bit by bit and gather everything I'll need. This is going to be different since I don't have a way to return the truck to its previous configuration. I'm prolly just making a big deal out of nothing and a BL will get me where I need to be for the most part. I'm just noidie that way and don't want to get stuck with a truck that chops it's own tires up. Either way, I think I came out ahead since I could sell these tires/rims for more than I could've sold the old set for, definately more demand around here for 33" Swampers.

I'll make it work, I just wasn't planning on messing with the Pathy for a bit. I promised to get a '77 Vette streetable in the next month or so and will be busy.

Oh, did I mention the new wheels look super-cool? (giggle)

CIMG0667.jpg

CIMG0668.jpg

Yeah, trimming is definately in order even after the 3" BL. This is what happened with 32s and only a suspension lift:

fender_crunch.jpg

BTW, I went ahead and ordered a 3" BL today for $110 w/ $8 shipping! Best price I found. It's from 4WheelOnline.com. Looks like their having a sale. I have to pay sales tax since its shipping from within the state, but still a good deal.

Cool. I posted a feeler in the "Parts For Sale" section, but since no one has responded yet you'll get first dibs. I'll hopefully be able to do the swap in the next few weeks and will let you know via PM. I'll get the 2" lift parts list and make sure everything's included and in good shape.

Can you still make a change to the order? Make the whole kit $8 cheaper (save the shipping) by having it sent to a local store for pickup... if you have one.

The store is an hour away in Tampa and for the time and gas I figure $8 isn't so bad.

Hey JJ. I asked Aaron once about his set up with his swamper LTB's he bought that were 33x13.5x15 and I'll post up the message and his answers since it may prove to help you out. I love the idea of 13.5's too. They look sick as hell and I'm still wanting to get a pair of either the Swamper LTB's or those Pittbull Rockers that are 13.5 wide so I totally see where your coming from.

Here ya go and good luck man

Sent 29 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Dowser. Back in May 2005 you picked up those Swamper LTB 33x13.5x15's. Just had a few questions for you since I'm looking at tires recently.

1. With the Bias Ply did you find if the vehicle sat over night it took them a little bit to driving to get them to loosen up a little? I've heard they could be a bit brutal at first on the highways before you get them up warmed up.

Aaron. The set I got had no noticeable problems with flat-spotting overnight, or even over a week or two. They ran just like radials as far as I'm concerned.

Dowser. 2. 13.5 wide is my main concern. Wondering how bad the steering radius turns out to be. Lose quite a bit of turning ability? And regardless of that, can you get them to stuff under the wheel well or do they hit the fender line?

Aaron. Again, nothing noticeable on my end regarding the turning radius, but I'm pretty forgiving with it cuz it's built for offroading, heh. The wheel/tire combo I got must be the world's best setup, cause the fronts and rears stuff just fine into the fenderwells, with very little trimming in the rear and a lot in the front. I originally trimmed my front to fit the old 33x10.50's I had and I didn't have to do anything extra to fit the 33x13.5's.

Dowser. 3. your wheels. Did you still use a 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing or did you end up having to go to a 15x10? If you had to go larger what was your new backspacing?

Aaron. The wheels I got weren't new, they were real scuffed up and old. I didn't go pick out the BS I wanted. IIRC they're 15x8.5's with 3.5" BS. My old steel wheels were 15x8's with about 4" BS IIRC.

Dowser. 4. Its been 4 years... Just how bad was the tire wear?

Aaron. Pretty bad. Tread compound is very soft so road wear is fairly noticeable and they tend to cut easily on sharp rocks. I may have gotten about 20k out of them, tops.

Hope that helps, man!

-Aaron

Thanks for the offer, but I swapped the clutch fan for an electric one from a Taurus long ago.

Wow, you musta got some serious air in order to load your front suspension and hit the fender!! NICE!

Yeah, I jumped out of a bowl and sent the front end about three feet in the air. If I had an inch more lift or and inch less tire it would've cleared.
Hey JJ. I asked Aaron once about his set up with his swamper LTB's...
Thanks for the info, Bud. I cruised 88s Cardomain page yesterday and it looks like he's got maybe the same offset but I've got wider rims. Either way I'm pretty sure I'll make them work at least for the street after the 3" BL. If there's no way to get them to tuck into the fenders or I have to chop more than I want I'll sell them and get something a bit less aggressive. I'm just not really looking forward to the labor since I just painted it and I have some other obligations right now. Oh well, idle hands... Edited by jj big shoe

Good decision JJ, don't muck around and get the 3" kit.

The truck looks great like that, too bad you can't turn... :lol:

I have a set of 235/75/15 Michelin LTX on stock chromies I'll give you a deal on... ;)

B