Footwell Lighting

1) Is it prewired like the alarm?

2) If so, what do I need to get?

3) If not, what have yall done? I was thinking 4 of those 24 LED strips, one under each side of the dash, and one under each front seat for the back floors. How would I wire them up do you think? Just steal power from the dome light fuse to trigger a relay?

4) I also had an idea recently. Instead of swapping in an OEM map light from a newer model and having to cut all that stuff, could you swap in a new rearview mirror that has the lights built in? My malibu has two lights with manual switches on the bottom of the rearview that would be simple...what you guys think?

Sincerely-

Sick of dropping crap at night.

Edited by OldSlowReliable

1) Is it prewired like the alarm?

2) If so, what do I need to get?

3) If not, what have yall done? I was thinking 4 of those 24 LED strips, one under each side of the dash, and one under each front seat for the back floors. How would I wire them up do you think? Just steal power from the dome light fuse to trigger a relay?

4) I also had an idea recently. Instead of swapping in an OEM map light from a newer model and having to cut all that stuff, could you swap in a new rearview mirror that has the lights built in? My malibu has two lights with manual switches on the bottom of the rearview that would be simple...what you guys think?

Sincerely-

Sick of dropping crap at night.

For the foot well lighting, if you use LED's you will not need a relay. Just tap into the dome lighting wiring somewhere and run with that. I like the idea of foot well lighting, I have work to do now.

If a rear view mirror with lights fits, where is the problem? My 95 truck has 2 map lights in the rearview mirror and I have recently swapped out the stock lamps for LED's, same with the dome light and boot light. What a huge diference that has made.

Foot well lighting... Flashlight.

Seriously though, the 94-95 dual map light rear view mirror is an easy install and works quite well. Someone bought mine to do the swap, beastpath I think?? Anyway it is a good upgrade and probably all you need, especially if you upgrade to LEDs like Kiwipete did. He has a write up IIRC, maybe in his Members Rides thread?

B

Seriously though, the 94-95 dual map light rear view mirror is an easy install and works quite well. Someone bought mine to do the swap, beastpath I think?? Anyway it is a good upgrade and probably all you need, especially if you upgrade to LEDs like Kiwipete did. He has a write up IIRC, maybe in his Members Rides thread?

B

I have yet to take pictures, will do this weekend. :blush02:

I plan on installing lights under the dash, in the corner of each door, and along the lower part of the trim panels in the back or where the rear ash trays are.

It'll be interesting to figure out wiring and running the lights in parallel...

It's always nice when you open the door at night and you can see everything clearly. :aok:

Seriously though, the 94-95 dual map light rear view mirror is an easy install and works quite well.

B

4 cell Mag-light tucked under the seat beside the tire bonker...

All seroiusness I like the later mirror idea - if I ever had my interior lights on to begin with. I generally have a good knolidge of where I left junk layin around and use the flashlight if I lose something that bad...

Well I'm just sick of looking for something in the truck at midnight on the trail or at camp, and having 1 halogen bulb 6 feet away on the ceiling.

I wasn't aware that there was a factory map light rearview, I thought they were only attached to the ceiling above the rearview...

I was considering doing the under-door lighting, but swapped that for the original idea of rock lights, as I can save on shipping if I buy the LED strips and rock LED's @ 1x, and that way I could wire ALL the rock lights onto a relay, have it triggered by either a switch or by the Dome light....yeah, I've thought about this a bit!

I'll be waiting kiwipete!

All of my interior lights work...but I like the idea of having more light if I need it. I have messed around a bit with LED light bars, and used some RGB circuits (they change color at your command!)...

Maybe a clear/red setup so if you really NEED to see using the clear (white light) would help...or to save your night vision, use the red...

Interesting...

I was considering doing the under-door lighting, but swapped that for the original idea of rock lights, as I can save on shipping if I buy the LED strips and rock LED's @ 1x, and that way I could wire ALL the rock lights onto a relay, have it triggered by either a switch or by the Dome light....yeah, I've thought about this a bit!

I'll be waiting kiwipete!

Can you tell me what are rock LED's?

If they are LED's you will not need a relay for them as the current draw is minuscule.

I would wire them in with the dome light or map light if you have one. It shouldn't be too hard to run a small wire from there through the hood lining and down the pillars to the lights. They will just need an earth connection for them, small (baby) speaker wire would be sufficient.

If you use the dome light connection they will also come on when the doors are opened. Plenty of ideas here.

I would prefer to use the dome light myself.

There are all sorts of battery powered LED lights that would probably work well for this. Some have stick-on adhesive , some mount with a couple of screws. Check Home Depot.

There are all sorts of battery powered LED lights that would probably work well for this. Some have stick-on adhesive , some mount with a couple of screws. Check Home Depot.

I have some of those in my house (for lighting on say, the stairs to the basement and such) but they put too much of a directional light...hence the $3 12" light strips

Rock lights (I say LED because commonly people use halogen but I prefer the ease of LED) are waterproof lights that fit into say a 3/8" hole drilled into key locations. For instance, infront of each tire, behind each tire, in each wheel well and 2 on each rock slider, plus one on the front center and one on the rear center. They are there for night trail runs, so you can see whats going on underneath and watchout for ROCKS....hence the name. They help alot cause if 3-5 people have them on a trail, it lights the terrain for people behind them and around them, w/o blinding people like headlights and offroad lamps.

For an exact representation of what i'm talking about and what I'm going to do, theres a link in my build thread. :D

Most SE or LE pathfinders came with footwell lighting btw. You can just grab them from the JY.

Does anyone have a picture showing the footwell lighting on these trucks?

Just interested in how they are mounted and what they are mounted on?

Does anyone have a picture showing the footwell lighting on these trucks?

Just interested in how they are mounted and what they are mounted on?

x2 as well as wiring, like I asked above. is it prewired? If it isn't, theres really no point in using stock, cause it would just create more work :)

how is it more work. if anything it is less because you don't have to source a light to put there. Although magregors truck has one that was swapped so im pretty sure it is pre wired.

how is it more work. if anything it is less because you don't have to source a light to put there. Although magregors truck has one that was swapped so im pretty sure it is pre wired.

If its not prewired, its the difference between running relays, dealing with halogen bulbs, harder mounting, and driving 100+ miles to the nearest pick n pull...whereas a local guy is a LED dealer who can get me the LED strips for cheap that won't require relays, and can be mounted 1001 different ways.

The wiring is there for the map and footwell lights, I have added both to my 93. FYI, you need to get the parts from a 93 or older for the footwell lights, they changed the connector style on the 94/95s. If you did get one from a 94/95 you could just cut the wires before the connector and then splice them in your's. Word of advise, if any of your door pins are bad you will want to fix them, there is no "off" switch for the footwell lights, they come on no matter what if any door is open (or not completely shut). I've woke up to a dead battery because one of the doors wasn't completely closed and the footwell lights were on all night.

The wiring is there for the map and footwell lights, I have added both to my 93. FYI, you need to get the parts from a 93 or older for the footwell lights, they changed the connector style on the 94/95s. If you did get one from a 94/95 you could just cut the wires before the connector and then splice them in your's. Word of advise, if any of your door pins are bad you will want to fix them, there is no "off" switch for the footwell lights, they come on no matter what if any door is open (or not completely shut). I've woke up to a dead battery because one of the doors wasn't completely closed and the footwell lights were on all night.

I fixed my door pin issue with some masking tape in a flat bundle on the door....so it pushes slightly more against the sensor so it doesn't flicker on turns :D

So there is wiring for footlights in a 91?