Truck Update

Kittamaru

Well, the good news is good - the new sway bar anchors are installed (and boy are they perty!), the new evap canister is installed and functioning, and all the plugs, wires, and other top-end electronics are re-checked and serviced, functioning as they should.

The bad:

Taking her for a test drive after doing all that, I discovered an interesting sound - like metal scraping on metal. It's coming from the front end, and I presume its the brakes. The reason is that I can "feel" whatever it is in time with the sound when I put light pressure on the pedal. In addition, it feels as if the rotor is warped or something (it pulses when I press on the brakes).

Thing is, it wasn't doing this 3 months ago when I parked her and began repairs. I haven't played with the brakes at all (though I did remove the front wheels to inspect them, didn't do anything though, but in the process I broke a left-front wheel stud off at the halfway mark - damn thing looks like it was welded to the lug nut, ugh).

My question is, what could have happened while the truck was sitting, undriven, that would do this? Could a brake caliper have rusted over and frozen extended? Air in the system? I'm kinda at a loss, an at the moment don't have the time (or present knowledge) to dis-assemble the brake assembly and check - once my mother gets around to actually cleaning out her garage (I don't have one I can use at my house) I might be able to o so, but at present I've been doing a majority of the work outside or on the dogs side of the garage (yes, our dogs get a side of the garage, and the truck doesn't. :scratchhead: )

Second issue - there is some fluid all over the bottom end of the engine... was there when I parked her, but I cleaned it off. Now, I HAVE started her periodically between then and now (to keep everything fresh and such) but I haven't driven her or really revved the engine. I have a hunch what it is, and where its coming from (seems to be motor oil) and I know I have a slight valve cover gasket leak (but not bad enough that it sprays out, even under high RPM's)- looking under the truck, I see a bit of rust on the barb where what I can only assume the coolant pump hose attaches to the pump itself. I'll try to get a picture when I have a chance, but any other thoughts on this would be helpful - and yes, I've done a visual inspection from the top and there's no obvious location I can see (though that doesn't mean anything). Damn, I wish I lived closer to ya'll as I'm way out of my league here. That or I wish I had the money to just put the truck in shop and have the dealer fix it properly, lol.

Ah well, if nothing else I'll learn eventually, right?

The brakes could just be surface rust on the rotors from sitting. The noise may subside once you drive it a bit.

In terms of the fluid, not sure what it is. Try to snap some pics.

+1 on the brakes having surface rust. Especially if it sits outside. The pulsing is a bit odd, but from what I know, you can warp rotors by over torquing the lug nuts, I could be wrong though.

The surface rust will get wiped off by the brake pad the more you drive it and the sound should go away.

As for the fluid, just saying there is fluid on the bottom side of the engine isn't much help ;) it could be motor oil, it could be gear oil (if you have a 5spd), it could be automatic transmission fluid, it could have come from the power steering pump... who knows... wipe some off with your finger and tell us what color is it!

It's black with dirt, beyond that couldn't tell ya. Doesn't smell sweet though, so I'm guessing not ATF or Coolant?

As for the brakes - why would they make noise even when I'm not pressing the pedal? That's what has me worried. I mean... the best way I can think of to describe it is how when a bike tire goes off center and rubs against one of the brakes - that swishing sound every time the "bent" part of the rim hits the rubber? Well, imagine that, but metal on metal.

Pics will come... well, as soon as I can (hopefully friday)

the thing with brakes, on a car anyway, is that the pads are always touching the rotor. If not you'd get that squishy pedal feel. But it sounds like at least one of your rotors is slightly warped.

As for teh oil. is it on the side of the block, or just the oil pan? could be the front or rear main seal. the rear main is a PITA... the front, still a PITA, but not as much.

the truck I test drove for a member here was sitting for 3 months when I went to test drive it. It was in mint condition but the brakes made noise for like 3/4 of the test drive until I was able to get it on the highway and smooth them out.

I wasn't able to leave the neighborhood (not inspected, and thus tags are out of date) but that's comforting - I'll have to hope that's it for now :)

As for the fluid - it's... well, it's everywhere. On the pan (oil and tranny), on the bottom of something attached to a belt (I think water pump), on my sway bars, crossmembers, CV axels. Literally, everywhere. Like it's spraying out.

Stupid thing is, the oil level is normal, coolant level is normal, ATF level normal, Brake and Power Steering fluid levels are normal... I don't know where in gods name its leaking from 0o'

I just replaced the sending unit (a pain in the ASS as the previous one had been cross-threaded, and I had to be very careful re-threading the thing, god what a bitch that was) so I don't think it's that.

Cam seals... I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't actually thought to double check those. I'll take a look tomorrow (I work all day today, ugh)

Yeah, it doesn't really take a whole lot of oil to seem catastrophic... Have you ever dumped a quart of oil on the ground? those little half dollar sized spots most people leave don't seem that worrisome afterwards...

Dust the oil as much as you can (within reason) with some talcum powder, start the motor, let it warm up, shut it off and look again. Any leaks will be painfully evident. ;)

B

Precise, that's the most stupid, absurd, and outright simple idea I've ever heard

You are a &^%*ing genius and I love you forever....!!!!! Doh, why didn't I think of that. LOL! I'll give it a shot and tell you what I find tomorrow :D

They are actually a little odd - they have a second full section of metal added to them in addition to much thicker and deeper-reaching welds. They should hold up FAR better! :fireworx:

• 7 months later...

NECRO TIME

So, alrighty, I'm planning my strategy for summer - I figure the very first thing I should do is (once and for all) get a transmission cooler + filter installed. I'm going to drain the transmission as much as I can (God only knows the last time it was changed anyway) and if I can I'd like to pull the pan, clear the screen and such, all that.

That's probably going to be my number 1 priority - draining the truck of all fluids that I can (after all, it's just sat all winter with no stabil and hasn't been started... plus I think the gas is like, a year old already, so yeah...)

From there, it's the tranny cooler + filter. My question on this is, where exactly do I put it? I was looking at dropping it in front of the Radiator, but it seems awfully tight in there... but looking through the threads it seems like it's where you guys have put it, am I right?

Any recommendation on type? I know there's tube+fin and stacked plate... what's better in terms of longevity?