how to remove window tint glue?

ahardb0dy

This applies to the rear window with the defroster lines, I know about the garbage bag with spraying the glass with ammonia, Simple green, etc. but does that only work when the actual tint is still on the glass? Last night I removed 99.75% of the tint material but now have to remove the glue without messing up the defroster lines, my Sentra was easy as I just used a razor blade not caring about the lines but want to try to keep the lines intact if possible as it works. Thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

Man, I feel your pain...I used Goo Gone and it helped a lot...but it is tedious!! The tint shop guy told me he would do it for 20 bucks...almost wish I woulda taken it to him instead...since time is money and all...lol

that's the messed up part, my buddy that I bought the truck from took the rear window and wing from this truck and swapped it into the 93 he bought, guess cause it had his club sticker and stuff on it, so I got the crappy tinted window that matches the rest of his 93 and he got the un tinted window that should have been in my truck!! He took the side steps off too!! BASTARD !! lol

I have tried to tint on my own several times...and always leave frustrated and with not tint at all on my windows...I have a ton of patience, just not when it comes to that, because I am a perfectionist of sorts. Oh well...

I have also seen defroster repair kits...it is essentially a trace pen similar to the ones used to repair damaged solder traces, works the same, and well it actually works according to what I have read.

Good luck bro.

junkyard tomorrow than when I get home, (and it's 90 degrees out, I always seem to do stuff outside when it's the hottest!!) I will attack the window, have to pick up some more WD-40 just ran out, will let you all know how it goes, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Just tried using some WD40 and the glue or whatever it is just laughed!! Now I'm not sure if it is actually glue or a second layer of tint, I scraped some off on the very bottom where their is no defroster lines and it scrapes off just like tint, but it must be glue as after I scraped some off the window is totally clear underneath. Going to take the whole window out so I can lay it flat and let the WD40 sit on it, instead of running down the glass.

removed the glass today, layed it flat on a table and sprayed WD40, ammonia, purple power even tried brake fluid seeing how that can take paint off, all the different chemicals separately of course, tried scrubbing it with a scotch brite pad than really fine steel wool, the crap on the glass just laughed at all of them !!! ended up saying f-ck it and scraped all of it off defroster lines and all. If it gets bad enough down here in Florida that I need the defroster I'll pick up another glass but for now I am just glad to be able to see thru it finally, (that is until I have it re-tinted!!) I think it was a second layer of tint the way it scraped off but if it was there was no glue residue on the glass, and if it was only glue it was darn good glue at that !!!