Project : Eagle Finder

EarlFairweather

Could save money if you had a engine puller(cherry picker).My dad and me took the body off my blue 65 chevy doing that.I bet that the cab weighed more then the pathys cab to.Are you going to leave it on that cradle(I advise not doing so because that wood will stress crack in a few days) or are you going to put it up on cinder blocks?(I advise this for ease of entry)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^What he said, but you may want the body a bit higher or at least have enough room to get under it to repair the floor pan. And lay down some plywood, maybe get yourself a carport tent or something. It'll make working outside much more pleasant plus keep some of the elements from getting into the truck. Your energy and ambition is great, but you may want to slow down a bit and think about the steps in this project with a little more detail. Not trying to knock what you're doing, I just don't want you to overlook something that could've made that step much easier, safer or more comfortable. I've hurried or didn't think a project through and really regreted it later, believe me.

Oh, and baggies, baggies, baggies! Put all nuts, bolts, clips, etc. in labeled baggies, even the busted ones. Given the depth and time of this project there's no way you'll remember what went where.

The labeled baggies or small boxes (I use oil filter boxes, but I can make quick acess to alot in a hurry) is HIGHLY recomended. And definatly don't rush man, you will overlook and forget things. Always good to take a break here and there...

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I know it's been a while since my update but I got some great news. Shortly after announcing this project I had to stop do to other pressing matters but this morning I got the body and frame seperated and am well on my way. It went pretty wellw hen you have the help of a large tractor.img3038kx.jpg

img3039w.jpg

HAHAHA!! Well done!!

Those are the best pictures I have seen in a long time!!

Can I ask a favor to take advantage of this? Please take a lot of pictures of the motor/chassis/suspension/running gear from all angles and various magnifications?? Some of the under carriage of the body also?? Burn them to a CD, and mail them to me so I can select some to be hosted here... It's not often that we see a divorced body/chassis and good photos would be perfect for explaining repairs and such. Please??

I'll obviously pay for your time, the CD, shipping, whatever...

B

Just came across this thread. Lookin good man, keep it up!

Mine is still on jack stands, so I understand completely...

Yes, I agree with B, more pictures of that frame running gear etc with the body off would be awesome and MAJORLY helpful!!

Wow....I was just thinking how much easier so many things would be if it was a 1,2,3 thing to remove the body like that!

Think how easy exhaust/frames/studs/springs/ucas/transmission/timing belt..........would be!!!

You thought about swapping a new body on while you're at it? Like steal B's or something? :P

Like steal B's or something?

You can steal the red one in the driveway, but if you touch the champagne one you are going to lose a hand...

Besides, the ARB bolts to the frame and won't go with the body... :D

B

Besides, the ARB bolts to the frame and won't go with the body... :D

B

cordless saw-zall :aok: that and I can easily run from you... I drive a 2 door :whistle:

seriously though... good to see some progress man! Don't give up now!

Thanks guys, and yes it's amazing how easy it is to work on it like this. If you have access to a large tractor and take your time this can be done with not to much effort. My Pathy had a ton of rust and everything was corroded so it took a while.

B, just tell me what specific areas you want pictures of and ill send them on s CD. Don't worry about money, I might need some little part some time and your advice is worth a million bucks!

Heres a picture for everyone haha

earlpathy.jpg

Take pics of everything you couldn't see easily with the body on if you could. Seeing things from a different angle, how it mounts, where lines are connected, etc. could be helpful when trying to explain something to someone else. The pics could be used as a common reference.

Not to question your carpentry skills, but please be sure your body stand is totally solid and won't give way before you crawl under there. You're going to be banging, chopping, prying, etc. and it needs to be sturdy. This project is going to be hard enough without a collapsed lung or something.

:scratchhead:

That's his happy face!! :D

Maybe he is thinking "WTF did you do to my truck!?!" :blink:

Yes Earl, exactly what JJ said. Pictures of what is normally covered, which really is everything. Seriously, just go snap happy with the camera, I'll happily spend the time sorting through them for what is useful. :aok:

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated!!

B

Ya that's my "I just tore my Pathy in half and only have my mother minivan to drive now" face. Okay I will just take a ton of pictures. Before I do anything else I will take pictures so it can be seen as original form.

On the to do list today, removing the old fuel lines.

Wow, awesome for sure. Good Luck with all the work. I don't have a WD21 (but if things go right, I might be getting a 91 with minimal rust) but pics are worth a lot. Stick the camera in there and snap away. Even things you don't think matter (like that one little connecter that's just there) really matter.

Jose

I'll be interested in where the $$ comes from.....I know I go about broke keeping mine in moderate condition (I battle rust though), and I make a fair amount of money that goes straight to the pathy....idk how much rust is on yours, but if one thing could kill a restore its rust repairs, THEY SUCK THE LIFE OUTTA YA!

Personally I'd kill to have a completely rust free truck (like one or two on here right now) and make it just a nice wheeler than do what you plan....seems like overkill for a mallcrawler..

I have 2 of them.. oh yeah..

I think they use steel due to the pressure, but I just looked up the fuel lines in the Nissan FAST program and than looked up the prices from an online Nissan Dealer and the lines aren't that expensive, the supply line is about $49,the return line is about $25 and the vent line is about $17. All 3 of those lines run from the rear to the front. Doubtful you would need all of them

Edited by ahardb0dy

I'm all for quick and dirty as a temp. fix(as long as it don't end up being a perminantly temporary fix) but I'd MUCH rather hear you put metal lines back in. We ain't talking some 7-8psi lines here... The couple extra bucks for the right thing is well worth it, especially at the lengths your goein man :aok: not like your workign in tight confines or anythign right now!

I have 2 of them.. oh yeah..

:shrug: Both mine have perfect frames...