Pacesetter Headers

Yendor

Are there different ones made up for a manual and auto tranny? There's someone in my local area who is selling them brand new for $200 and they are ceramic coated. He said that they are only for a manual tranny.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't work. Not because of your transmission, but because of the difference in the motors between the 87-89, and 90+ WD21's.

I was recently at the pacesetter site and there were different part numbers for the 95 pathy with auto and manual trannys. The 1198's are for MT, the 1197's are AT.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_truck.php

Hardbody 4WD/5 spd,Pathfinder/ 5 spd

90-95

V6

1-1/2"

2"

1, 3, 6

G7175

70-1198

72C1198

Hardbody/ Pathfinder, 4WD, auto

90-95

3.0L, V6

1-1/2"

2"

2, 3, 6

G7175

70-1197

72C1197

For those who have these headers, are you happy with them? I was looking into getting a set. I have a perfect exhaust right now but would love to give my pathy a little more pep and nice sound.

For those who have these headers, are you happy with them? I was looking into getting a set. I have a perfect exhaust right now but would love to give my pathy a little more pep and nice sound.

I've had worse luck with them than good. I'd stay away personally because you get what you pay for. You go cheap on engine internals, and they break right? Why is your exhaust any different?

I've seen alot of good luck around here with Thorley. But honestly it's your money, go with what you want.

I've seen alot of good luck around here with Thorley. But honestly it's your money, go with what you want.

I'll add this too; I have heard of more than one person have weld issues where the pipes meet the flange for the head, as well as needing to get the flange machined flat on the Thorleys. They are a little stouter (.02 thicker tube IIRC), and have more coating options, but aren't really better in the quality stand point.

Simon, grimgreg, and koveman, did you guys notice any power/gas mileage increases at all? I would like to get a set but it will take more than the sound to sell me on them.

I noticed a slight increase in MPG, though, that could be attributed to the extreme leak I had at the manifold flange before I installed the headers.

Other than that, there's a little better throttle response, a little more low end torque, and an overall smoother delivery of power across the RPM range.

My headers are paired with a hi-flow exhaust system, so I'm not sure if JUST adding headers to an otherwise stock exhaust would help as much.

Just don't expect miracles, and you should be happy with them if you decide to do it.

I also went with a new converter and cat-back exhaust when I installed the headers. Throttle response was definitely improved. Mileage was hard to tell since the sound made my right foot heavier. What I liked the best was how the truck seemed to snarl and growl with little blips of the throttle.

I'll add this too; I have heard of more than one person have weld issues where the pipes meet the flange for the head, as well as needing to get the flange machined flat on the Thorleys. They are a little stouter (.02 thicker tube IIRC), and have more coating options, but aren't really better in the quality stand point.

i've only had one pair that hasn't been garbage and the good pair I've had is the only one i've seen out of all my friends who have had the headers that hasn't been junk. You're about the only person i've ever seen defending them.

Thorleys are wayyyyy better in terms of quality. Just my personal experience with pacesetter is enough to keep me from buying their products.

You're about the only person i've ever seen defending them.

Mine, so far, have been good. Though, they've only been on 3 months or so. :shrug:

No problems with them on my '92. Still waiting to install a new set on my '95. Not looking forward to the stud extraction.

:shrug:

• 4 months later...

I have heard good and bad about the PS headers. But then again, the same about the Thorley's. I need to replace my manifolds as they leak bad, and headers are the logical choice...just not 100% sold on what to go with...