Which Ucas?

Yendor

I need to get some new UCAs to finish off my lift properly, but I really don't know which ones to get. All the info I read on doing lifts didn't really seem to mention which ones where better than others. On 4x4 parts, I could only find these and it doesn't state what make these are. I also found the Calmini UCAs on the Rugged Rocks website, but they're considerably more. I did see someone mention that the Rancho UCAs are good, but I don't know where to find them.

Edited by Yendor

For UCA's you have 3 options, superlift, AC (4x4parts), and calmini. Calminis are a great product but they cost twice as much as the other UCA's and there power coating has been known to flak off. Superlifts would be the most inexpensive option but they are made for a 2-2.5" lift, while AC and Calmini are made for 2.5-3" lift. I would just check out AC forums and see if any one is selling some used UCA's.

:goodpost:

Rought country and Superlift are the same thing, just different paint/zink coating. I thought I heard that the Rough countries are discontinued though?? Also there seems to be some question as to if the AC UCAs are sufficiently angled to correct the upper ball joint alignment when the truck is lifted (the whole point). Many people have run them without mishap though... :shrug:

B

:goodpost:

Rought country and Superlift are the same thing, just different paint/zink coating. I thought I heard that the Rough countries are discontinued though?? Also there seems to be some question as to if the AC UCAs are sufficiently angled to correct the upper ball joint alignment when the truck is lifted (the whole point). Many people have run them without mishap though... :shrug:

B

I have been running the AC UCA's for about two years now without an issue. I also added the Ball Joint Spacers for the additional little bit of lift it gives to level my truck out (and make room for getting 32x11.50's once my 31's wear out). They have held up remarkably well, though I got them in the kit with springs, shocks and the steering reinforcement.

• 1 month later...

Yendor, how did they turn out? It has been a month or so since your post, have you gotten your lift finished? Give us some info brother, fill us in with the cheese whiz!!

Yendor, how did they turn out? It has been a month or so since your post, have you gotten your lift finished? Give us some info brother, fill us in with the cheese whiz!!

Totally forgot about updating this. I just got the UCAs in this weekend. I just have to get an alignment done and I'm all set. I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow.

I have been running the AC UCA's for about two years now without an issue. I also added the Ball Joint Spacers for the additional little bit of lift it gives to level my truck out (and make room for getting 32x11.50's once my 31's wear out). They have held up remarkably well, though I got them in the kit with springs, shocks and the steering reinforcement.

Thats good to know, I have the AC UCA and made my own 1/2 spacers. The ball joints are not at the proper angle but they don't bottom out when the suspension is fully up. I was thinking about getting different UCA but if they are working for you I might just run them for a while. I still don't like the angle the axles are at. You haven't had any trouble with your CV joints?

James

what about using the front diff drop bushings from RuggedRocksOffroad.com to help the CV angles??

They will help but IIRC it's only about 1/2 inch difference...

B

Yeah, unless you are maxed out on lift and running ultra-thin bumpstops, you are probably fine without that. Otherwise, the offset might save some CVs.

I had an old trailmaster 5 inch lift that I pulled of a 1996 S10 blazer lying around. I shoulda just bolted the stuff on and used blazer A arms...that woulda been different.

Well, not exactly bolt on...a lot of custom fab would have to go into play...and more work than it would be worth...a SAS would be far superior...

Sorry, am rambling on my lunch.

I have the Calminis (I didn't like the blue so I painted them black). They work alright and I get a lot of front flex, but when installing we had to cut a notch out of part of the arm so that the shock boot would clear without getting crushed/rubbed. Im not sure if they sent the wrong ones or if it's a possible design flaw.

I have the Calminis (I didn't like the blue so I painted them black). They work alright and I get a lot of front flex, but when installing we had to cut a notch out of part of the arm so that the shock boot would clear without getting crushed/rubbed. Im not sure if they sent the wrong ones or if it's a possible design flaw.

Nope, that is how they are made, a lot of people have had to do the "shock mod" to them.

Awesome. Am searching junk/scrap yards for XJ springs...just about have all the parts I need to do the suspension lift...anyone have any issues with steering being weaker after doing the lift?

Okay...

(yes I have searched.)

Where is everyone getting their updated CL's from? I have the equipment and skill to fab a tough CL up if I had the info on what to do.

Obviously Red, I wont buy from L & P.

I cannot and will not, under any circumstances, recommend L&P for anything! :nono:

Lee (formerly the "L" of L&P) left the company long ago, my dealings were with Phil (the P of L&P) and Phil only.

And that statement under my sig pic holds true.

Read through these if you want more info regarding my experience and that of others

L&P Performance deal @ your own risk

_&P Parts Quality Your Opinions Please

*the "L" is missing from many of my posts while talking about that company, because I do not hold Lee responsible for anything Phil did (and did not do) in my dealings with him. Lee had already left the company :togo:

But as far as I know, _&P is no more. friday.gif

As for Grassroots4x4 (hoohaa), I have personally never dealt with them most who have, have been happy :aok:

Awesome. Am searching junk/scrap yards for XJ springs...just about have all the parts I need to do the suspension lift...anyone have any issues with steering being weaker after doing the lift?

Whoever you end up going with, I would replace the steering before you even take it offroad with lift/bigger tires. Mine was shot after half a day of wheelin' at Harlan, KY. I had a friend build me a new CL and install the idler arm brace, and the steering has been tight ever since.