Bad Wheel Bearings?

Nissan3

Hey everyone

I have a 2003 pathfinder 4wd.

I noticed this past week when im on the highway, if i do about 110km/h the front axle starts getting pretty loud, if i slow down it sounds normal. Today while driving i noticed my truck was clunking pretty bad in the front while driving, but the noise was intermittent and only happened while over bumbs or while i was turning, so i took off both my wheels and i noticed on the right side when i pulled on the hub there was a bit of play. Is this a bad wheel bearing? if so do i replace both the inner and outer bearing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A bad wheel berring can be found 2 ways

1 If you place a hand on the top and bottom of the tire push with one and pull with the other it will move.

2 if you spin the wheel you should hear a rumbeling noise.

3 if it was mine i would do both inner and outter berrings that way you know it is ok other wise a few ks down the road you may have to replace the one you didnt replace.

Hope this helps you out.beer.gif

Hey everyone

I have a 2003 pathfinder 4wd.

I noticed this past week when im on the highway, if i do about 110km/h the front axle starts getting pretty loud, if i slow down it sounds normal. Today while driving i noticed my truck was clunking pretty bad in the front while driving, but the noise was intermittent and only happened while over bumbs or while i was turning, so i took off both my wheels and i noticed on the right side when i pulled on the hub there was a bit of play. Is this a bad wheel bearing? if so do i replace both the inner and outer bearing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by long

Thanks for the response...I found the wheel bearings were actually ok, somehow the lock nut got loose :scratchhead: which was causing the play in the wheel, so i just retightned it and everything seems to be back to normal.

• 2 years later...

is there any posts on replacing the inner and outer bearing for a 2000 pathfinder.

This thread should illustrate the steps for you. You will need new inner bearing grease seals. I'd recommend using a synthetic grease.

Edited by Towncivilian

Well I guess it depends, if some moron did the brakes the last time and didn't tighten it properly I could see how it would seem that way. Though everything does wear out eventually.

I would still pull it apart and check the races and bearings. If there is any scarring on the races or bearings, you may have problems in the future. Bearings wear in a pattern. If the pattern varies, the bearings could wear faster than normal. I'm not trying to scare you.

Agreed, if the races are scarred or brinneled they might not last too long and now is a good time to repack them with fresh grease. To give you an idea, my 1995 WD21 had loose bearings when I bought it with under 100k miles and the drivers side was 'crunchy' when I tightened them up so I replaced them. My wife's 1999.0 R50 had loose bearings when we bought it with 150k miles on it and all I did was repack and retorque and they are still fine at almost 170k.

B