92 Alignment Issues.

Ok so here’s what’s going on. My 92 pathy was doing a lil wandering while driving. Upon further inspection I found that the upper ball joints to be sloppy and my driver-side outer tie rod was toast.

So I head down to the parts store and buy 2 upper ball joints, and inner and outer tie rods for both sides. Got all that replaced and now I have an excessive amount of positive camber. I do not understand this :scratchhead: . All I did was replace the ball joints. The tie rods should not have an effect on the camber. Any help would be appreciated.

Also just to see if maybe I had the t bars cranked a lil to much I measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender and I got 6 inches. I dropped the front end down 2 ½ inches, just to see what the result would be. It helped out a lil but I still have positive camber issues. Need to get this rig road worthy again. It’s my wife’s ride and she needs it.

You need to get an alignment. Mine was the same after replacing all ball joints and tie rods. After the alignment (they removed the shims) it was back to factory spec. Make sure they do it right.

Ok so here’s what’s going on. My 92 pathy was doing a lil wandering while driving. Upon further inspection I found that the upper ball joints to be sloppy and my driver-side outer tie rod was toast.

So I head down to the parts store and buy 2 upper ball joints, and inner and outer tie rods for both sides. Got all that replaced and now I have an excessive amount of positive camber. I do not understand this :scratchhead: . All I did was replace the ball joints. The tie rods should not have an effect on the camber. Any help would be appreciated.

Also just to see if maybe I had the t bars cranked a lil to much I measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender and I got 6 inches. I dropped the front end down 2 ½ inches, just to see what the result would be. It helped out a lil but I still have positive camber issues. Need to get this rig road worthy again. It’s my wife’s ride and she needs it.

your wife gonna kill you. lol j/k

Not all ball joints are created equal. therefore 2 differant brands may sit differant. ad that to the fact that a loose one my allow weight of the vehicle pull it one way or another in its slop and you have a completley differant alignment.

:goodpost: yeah she's already giving me crap cause she can't drive it right now. this is gonna be next :stickwack:

women are the worst. especially when you have to get another part. then they question you. and the nagging goes on and on and on. it never stops.

Not all ball joints are created equal. therefore 2 differant brands may sit differant. ad that to the fact that a loose one my allow weight of the vehicle pull it one way or another in its slop and you have a completley differant alignment.

i agree 100% with you. also when i got home i looked at my uca's and the passenger side has what looked like only 1 shim in it did not see anything behind that. and the drivers side has no shims at all. i did not want to take it in and get it alligned untill i got the rc uca's but if i cant get them for a while i guess i'll have to waste the money for now.

this just sucks i put the new parts on to fix it and it made it worse :headwall:

....I hate it when i take my truck to the aligment shop and they add shims...you can acually fix the aligment in the pathfinders by adjusted the T-bars. I prefer that because i noticed that if you shim the UCA's too much you end up with a rather unusual steering "shift" when making sharp turns.

i agree 100% with you. also when i got home i looked at my uca's and the passenger side has what looked like only 1 shim in it did not see anything behind that. and the drivers side has no shims at all. i did not want to take it in and get it alligned untill i got the rc uca's but if i cant get them for a while i guess i'll have to waste the money for now.

this just sucks i put the new parts on to fix it and it made it worse :headwall:

firestone has a lifetime warranty, and sears will honor it for 6 months

I've taken mine to les schwab twice now in the past month. They can't seem to get it right, I'll have to get under and have a look to see if there are some bad bushings or something.

Lets put it this way, if they knew what they were doing, they would have found what parts were bad while trying to align it. It's funny how many mechanics have no clue how to align anything that doesn't have cam bolts on a strut.

Go to Firestone and get thir life time alignment. If you use it twice, it paid for it's self. I will have used mine 3 times in 6 months now.

....I hate it when i take my truck to the aligment shop and they add shims...you can acually fix the aligment in the pathfinders by adjusted the T-bars. I prefer that because i noticed that if you shim the UCA's too much you end up with a rather unusual steering "shift" when making sharp turns.

Hmm, is that what it is?? Both of my trucks have done this though... :shrug:

B