automatic transmission

94pathfinder

on the way to work this morning i noticed that my tranny was slipping quite a bit, and now after my drive home it seems that i have no third gear at all it'll shift into third, and you can press the gas pedal, and it'll just rev up. i can drop it from drive to 2nd and it'll work fine.

any ideas. thanks

when was the last time you flushed the transmission?

have you checked the condition of your transmission fluid lately?

is it dark brown and no longer cherry red?

does it smell burned?

did you bypass your stock transmission cooler to an external unit?

Nope,you need a new tranny,thats what mine did,you burnt a clutch plate,I'm sorry for your lose...Just revs in third,no gear there at all,you can try changing the fluid but it probly will be just a waste of money...Again I'm soory for your lose...

Edited by nismothunder

on the way to work this morning i noticed that my tranny was slipping quite a bit, and now after my drive home it seems that i have no third gear at all it'll shift into third, and you can press the gas pedal, and it'll just rev up. i can drop it from drive to 2nd and it'll work fine.

any ideas. thanks

no on the tranny flush, never done it.

i have the oe trans cooler. didn't know about replacing it with an aftermarket one, what do you recommend?

That really doesn't sound good at all. I don't think changing the fluid will help, but if you do, make sure to replace the filter/pickup unit, clean the pan and bypass the stock cooler that is prone to clogging. There are many threads about them.

Honestly, I think you need a tranny shop or a replacement unit. :shrug:

B

If you can change the clutch, you can do the swap. It's a bit more work but not any harder.

Someone just did this with a write up lst year. Was it BeastPath?? Search for "tranny swap" and see what you find.

Yes, the way to go is with a donor vehicle...

B

Ok so i've ordered a replacement transmission with 65K on it from Japan for 380 bucks, then i'll go to one of the auto parts stires and grab a trans cooler, and hopefully i'll e able to do more then 35.

Yes, good idea. I was at the wreckers yesterday and grabbed 2 tranny coolers, one fair size off of a pathy and a pint sized one off of a chrysler.

Where did you order a tranny with 65k miles for $380?? Good deal!! I think many people would like to know!!

B

yeah this is more of a bitch than i thought it would be. stuck on the torsion bar ancours on the front lower control arms. mainly on the drivers side, and the bigger bolt, other than that. yeah this thing is the suck

Was this happening after the vehicel was warmed up or soon after you started it?

I see you are in Michigan and it is winter time.... if it has been real cold there, especially over night when it has been sitting, then it takes the fluid a while to warm up, it will not like or want to go or stay in overdrive.

Just a thought.

Was this happening after the vehicel was warmed up or soon after you started it?

I see you are in Michigan and it is winter time.... if it has been real cold there, especially over night when it has been sitting, then it takes the fluid a while to warm up, it will not like or want to go or stay in overdrive.

Just a thought.

agreed... also, nissan make a tranny cooler flush. 999MP-AM006P I belive.

• 2 weeks later...