What's It Made Of

OldSlowReliable

Not saying you can't weld it, but to do it and not either melt the casting away or cause it to crack during cooling is the hard part. Usually to weld to cast you have to both pre and post heat it.

Yeah, or keep it cool the entire time....I figure if it is cracked, I'll get a good one from a partout or something....if they were steel I was thinking about welding em...

The ones in my garage sure look like cast iron.

If it is cracked and you want to weld it, good luck.

Not saying you can't weld it, but to do it and not either melt the casting away or cause it to crack during cooling is the hard part. Usually to weld to cast you have to both pre and post heat it.

Exactly. I've seen it done, but it's hit and miss.

Need a set? I have 2...

B

• 2 weeks later...

is that possible? just curious.

relatively cool....if you do small increments at a time, yeah it is, but usually its a combo of both, preheating the metal to a reasonable temp, and then not welding in 5 inch passes...

You could braise it after worming the it up first .

I have no idea how to braize metal...much less the tools to do so...

Edited by OldSlowReliable

I have no idea how to braize metal...much less the tools to do so...

It is basically like soldering, you brush a flux material on then heat it and add filler metal. You can buy braizing materials at most hardware stores and all you need usually is a propane torch (some fillers work better with hotter gasses).

For an exhaust though, I would fear that it would just melt out the filler once it got to operating temps :shrug: .