Biggest Tire Without Lift+ Antenna ?

brix542

Hey sorry if this has been ask before but could find when i searched. What is the biggest tire i could run on a 1988 se without lifting it. I dont mind taking the fender flare of or cutting it some. Would really love 33x12.50s but would settle for 31.10.50. Also which is better a 5 or 7 ft firestick or a 8ft stainless steel whip for a cb? Thank ya

Was expecting to have to use 31s but can always hope. Any guesses on how many inchs body it would take to clear 33s? If its only 1-3 might just do homemade or spend the 125 for 3 in. Thanks

31's is probably the best bet, but I remember someone recently posting pics of a their ride with 33's and no lift IIRC, just a lot of cutting. Anyone else remember that? (starts searching for page...)

Found it... it was 32x12.50's on Aerosync's page in the Member's Rides section. Did some cutting, but says it's stock. Just scanned it really, may have done the PML. Hope this helps.

Edited by Soccerstudd5

Il look to see if i can find that thread soccer. Thanks

Ive also been looking at body lift for the PF and the one i found for 125+ shipping say it wont fit models with auto trans. It is a Preformacne accessories kit and i cant figure out why it wont fit auto trans. Is what it says true or not. Thanks

Found it... it was 32x12.50's on Aerosync's page in the Member's Rides section. Did some cutting, but says it's stock. Just scanned it really, may have done the PML. Hope this helps.

Yeap, my 1994 Pathfinder has 32x12.5 with no cutting. I just removed the plastic flares. Besides that, it is stock.

It rubs a tiny but at full lock, that's about it.

Edited by AeroSync

I went with Cragar Soft 8 black steel wheels (15x8", 4" back spacing) from Summit, on sale for $40 each, but I'm running 31x10.5" tires.

Each tire will specify the rim width range they recommend so I suggest you use that as your guide, but most will be in the same range. For example, the ideal width for 12.5" tires is usually listed at 10". Factory back spacing is 3.75.

Use this site to check...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

B

I've got an '88 SE Offroad that came with 31s. It's been on 33-10.5-15s on stock Lego wheels for a couple years with no lift. I didn't have to trim any metal, only plastic. In the rear I had to cut the flare mounting tabs off at the top of the wheel arch and bend the sheet metal tabs up to clear. I also had to bash the lower corners of the quarter panels a little bit. Basically I just folded the lip in a little so it wouldn't chunk the rear tires. I trimmed all the flares but it'd be much better to just take them off. I'll be doing that and losing the inner fenders soon. The only rubbing I get is the inner sidewalls in the rear at full flex. It's all smooth metal so there's no tire damage, it's just a little annoying. Oh, I did have to swap out a bunch of the factory flare bolts for beefy sheet metal screws with integral washers and low-profile heads. Again, loose the flares and that issue is gone. I'll try to post some pics later.

I've got an '88 SE Offroad that came with 31s. It's been on 33-10.5-15s on stock Lego wheels for a couple years with no lift. I didn't have to trim any metal, only plastic. In the rear I had to cut the flare mounting tabs off at the top of the wheel arch and bend the sheet metal tabs up to clear. I also had to bash the lower corners of the quarter panels a little bit. Basically I just folded the lip in a little so it wouldn't chunk the rear tires. I trimmed all the flares but it'd be much better to just take them off. I'll be doing that and losing the inner fenders soon. The only rubbing I get is the inner sidewalls in the rear at full flex. It's all smooth metal so there's no tire damage, it's just a little annoying. Oh, I did have to swap out a bunch of the factory flare bolts for beefy sheet metal screws with integral washers and low-profile heads. Again, loose the flares and that issue is gone. I'll try to post some pics later.

yes but wasn't the BFG 33x10.50 designed to be a tall tire for low rub clearance vehicles?

yes but wasn't the BFG 33x10.50 designed to be a tall tire for low rub clearance vehicles?

I have no idea what they were designed for :scratchhead: but I've always preferred "pizza cutters" and these fit the bill. My Unimogs have really tall, skinny tires. I ran 34-9.5-16.5 Swampers on my '64 Patrol and it would idle through almost anything. Man did it piss off the guys with 400hp "mud trucks" in the '80s. :aok: I've been 'wheeling massively underpowered trucks most of my life. High contact pressure is the only way to make them work in the woods so that's what I'm used to. My Pathy is rocket-fast compared to every other truck I've used extensively off road. Here's a recent pic of the "good side":

DSCN8658.jpg

And a shot from the morning after I put it on it's side :doh: :

DSCN7881.jpg

I didn't have to trim any metal, only plastic. In the rear I had to cut the flare mounting tabs off at the top of the wheel arch and bend the sheet metal tabs up to clear. I also had to bash the lower corners of the quarter panels a little bit. Basically I just folded the lip in a little so it wouldn't chunk the rear tires.

So, rather than trim the metal, you bent it. Same deal, no matter the lift they'll rub there. My 31s rub there with 4" of lift (though only when in an off camber turning situation).

Yeah, I just bent the lips over a little. Totally reverse-able. The wheel arch is still the same shape when viewed from the side. The tires just barely touch when the truck is flexed out and backing over stuff kinda hard. The fenderwell is totally stuffed with tire and there's no way I could run chains without a sawzall and sledgehammer.

• 5 weeks later...

As for CBs, I would always go for a Fibreglass antenna (ie. The Firestick in your example) over a whip because they maintain their rigidity & therefore the signal wont flex because the antenna wont flex... much. Also, the fibreglass Firesticks are specifically tuned to the application, in your case 27MHz CB, as a whip may not be, & may require extra tuning.

Your only issue now is to look at your total height clearance. If you want to get under carparks & bridges, Whip. If not too worried, Fibreglass.

phillipisland20092large.jpg

I like my GME. It gets a lot of people walking past, looking straight up. HA!

--DuckMan.