1994 Satrter

94pathfinder

Ok went to start my pathfinder yesterday to go to work, nothing, so i checked the volts on the batt. and i have 12.72 volts, im thinking its the starter because when i try to turn it over all i get is one click. I replaced the starter last febuary with a rebuilt one from autozone. do you think it's the starter too or anything else? :scratchhead:

Double check the connections at your battery, and at the starter. While your battery may show 12+ volts, the connections may be dirty/corroded, causing less voltage to get to your starter.

It's easy enough to check before going through the starter swap again. :shrug:

Definitely clean up those connections. Not only will it hopefully turn over, but running a starter on low voltage ups the amperage demand and can fry the starter very quickly.

If cleaning the connections still doesnt do anything, and you have full power to the starter, and it still clicks, then you have a problem with the pull-in or hold-in winding in the starter solenoid.

ok where does the negative battery cable ground out at, it corroded like a mofo, and i think it may be the probem.

Two points. Right behind the battery (1 bolt into the body) and then over to the engine block (or the PS pump, can't remember which). Depending on the condition if the cable, it may just be worth replacing. Diaelectric grease at the contact points couldn't hurt either...

B

Yep, clean the positive terminal and start tracing voltage back to the starter. If you have full voltage at the starter, leave your meter hooked up where you can see it and try cranking it again, does the voltage dive or not?

B

Random thought here. Is your truck a manual? If it is, maybe try and push start it and get it running and then see if the problem persists. My buddy's Toyota truck has a terrible problem with starting, sometimes it'll crank fine then other times it will just click until we push the truck a few feet or push start it. He can hold the key down and if I push it forwards or backwards a few feet it suddenly kicks over. It also kicks over if we hit the starter with a hammer. The starter has been replaced 3 times now as well. :shrug:

use the small oil pan heater that uoi stick on the bottom of the oil pan and just stick it to the starter. but i wouldnt even bother doing that cause your starter is on its way out anyway. anyway if you bought it from autozone see if you still have a warinte (bad spelling) on it.

I'm not sure how cold it is where you live, but there is nothing inside a starter that would freeze due to cold temperature. Unless you got water in there but even then the mechanism is incredibly strong, just think of what it does? It sounds like your brushes are sticking, very common, they wear down and no longer make contact or there is a fine powder on them. Again, knock it with a hammer a few times (not too hard) and it should turn over.

Could it be your shlyanod...(cant spell it) my camaro did it twice and it turned out to be a bad silanod...just a click,and after it sits for a bit it will start...but only once and it will die as your driving down the road and refused to start again until you replace it.