Funny But Sad

olddirtyrake

Sooo, Kinda embarrassed. Remember when I said I couldn't get oil to drop into the crank case and tranny wasn't shifting? Well, I think I may have found the problem Its me.

If the tranny fill is the dipstick on the left( while looking at the engine on a 95)then I filled the engine with tranny fluid through dip stick and wondered why the tranny wouldnt shift and the engine wouldnt fill with oil. Thats because I was looking at the at dipstick dry thinking it was oil stick then looking at the tranny stick reading it was a little over. While the valve cover was full of oil and didnt look like oil was in crank case because I was reading the wrong stick and filled the wrong one with tranny fluid.

Now I blew my cam seal running the engine with to much oil. Well not a big deal as long as everything else is fine. Live and learn.

My question- Could anything else been damaged having it running for like 3 mins with oil and trany fluid overfilled and no trany fluid? I slowly brought the shifter through all the gears to attempt to fill them with new fluid that wasnt in there, at idle? I would have been done by now if I would have just filled the right damn dipstick GOD! Thing was running fine until I got my hands on it. Any good posts on cam seal replacement?

if your dipsticks still have paint on them I belive the tranny one should be red and the oil yellow no?

keep an eye you your seals. Many ppl will run a qt of ATF in the oil to clean the engine 100 miles before a change so I don't think 3 min will be devestating to the engine just drain it and put the right oil in there. but if you added much more than qt of ATF I would do another oil change in 100 miles just to be sure. Fill your tranny, mabe use some lucas atf additive and x your fingers.

if your dipsticks still have paint on them I belive the tranny one should be red and the oil yellow no?

keep an eye you your seals. Many ppl will run a qt of ATF in the oil to clean the engine 100 miles before a change so I don't think 3 min will be devastating to the engine just drain it and put the right oil in there. but if you added much more than qt of ATF I would do another oil change in 100 miles just to be sure. Fill your tranny, mabe use some lucas atf additive and x your fingers.

ya I added like 4 qts X fingers bigtime. Thanks for the reassurance.

Tranny dipstick/fill tube on the passenger side by the firewall. Oil dipstick on driver's side below the exhaust manifold, fill on passenger side valve cover.

So you were reading the tranny dip stick for an engine oil reading?

I've spoken with your local club representative and he is on his way to meet you. I'm afraid you will be required to surrender your man card, your membership has been revoked... :lol:

Glad it was simple mistake, not something damaging. I will point something out though, if the engine oil capacity (any fluid really) is listed at 4 quarts and you put in 3-4 quarts and there still is no registration on the dipstick, stop!! Investigate!! It might be as simple as forgetting the drain plug, but something is obviously wrong. Don't just continue filling... ;)

B

Ahh Tranny fluid in the oil hmmm. Sounds like a cheap engine flush to me!!! Definetly replace oil and filter before driving anywhere. As far as the transmission is concerned, it was only a short period of time and I'm sure it didin't get to hot. I'd fill it with cheap stuff, run it a day or two then drain and fill again with a Castrol product. Do not overfill transmission fluid!!! Spend the $100 and get a cooler for it, highly recommended.

Oh they're no where near $100, I got mine for $35... 18,000lb cooler. I've actually never seen them above $50, even for a 25,000lb cooler. That's also from going to multiple auto parts stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you drunk? Where did you think all that oil was going if not on the ground? :omg:

Funny though...

You can have your man card back... I figure it takes a bigger man to admit to such skill, lol.

I accidentally fixed a leaky squealing power steering pump one time... I had to fill the dam reservoir up every morning.. one day, I accidentally put brake fluid in the PS pump, cranked the car up and no squeal.. and it stopped leaking... ;)

yeah,or he could sea foam it or just let it be.ATF has more detergents in it then oil,so it cleans better.And if he goes any place other then the site he's going paying 10 bucks for the amsoil flush if not more(Not knocking it,I sell it)

OSR...smo...really that the best you got...?