Fog Lights Dont Work

ac92pathfinder

The factory lights aren't relayed. Did you check the connections to the lights themselves? Also, take the switch out of the console and make sure they're well connected as only one wire provides power. And remember, they only work when the low beam headlights are on.

I don't know about the '95s stock fog lights but my stock '91s have been problematic in recent years at the fixture's ground. As a matter of fact I have one not functioning currently that I have to tend to. My issues have been electorlysis (sp?) related. This go round I think I will try and solder the ground wire onto the fixture's ground post. If you haven't I would condiser pulling your fog light fixtures and examining for corrosion and other defects. Kingman has sound advise as well for the switch.

so i pulled out my switch and looks like one wire that plugs into the switch is missing but i see no wire it has a + on it. heres a pic Nov02_001.jpg

purple is supposed to go on the top prong of the switch..I just pulled the center console on my wifes pathy to do a transmission swap and the only switch on that center console that I cannot trace a quick disconnect plug is that darn foglight switch so I wrote down the wiring color and where it goes..Try switching it on top prong

Edited by PATHRIDER

purple is supposed to go on the top prong of the switch..I just pulled the center console on my wifes pathy to do a transmission swap and the only switch on that center console that I cannot trace a quick disconnect plug is that darn foglight switch so I wrote down the wiring color and where it goes..Try switching it on top prong

i dd switch the wire on the switch the light on the switch lit up as if the switch is on but nothing. maybe i should just get a switch for the heck of it and see what happens. any other ideas anybody know touch one of these wires together and see if the fog lamp could come on? thanks for the great replies :clap:

if you go out and take the bulbs out of the fog light and take a volt meter and hold the negative to a known good ground around there and postive on to where the postive on the foglight do you get any voltage. Also if the switch is put back to its orginal wiring when you flip the switch does the light come on?

the light does come on on the switch and i did replace the switch and it does the same thing. i did switch the wires on the switch and that was a big :nono::crossedwires::hide: i blew the right side headlight fuse. i dont have a volt meter but i can pick one up from harbor freight. thanks

yeah see if your getting power up there (where the lights mount)maybe the ground is bad or something if not trace the fog light cords maybe they got cut some how or rubs on a sharp edge or something.

Edited by edicer2

AC I wouldn't think one ground's failure would impact the other light from working at least that is not the case on my factory wired '91. Good advice to start probing around with a VOM to see what you have. That is the same route I took to identify my issue. And a Harbor Freight VOM will be plenty good for what your are needing it for here. My only advise there is to determine what size fuse will be protecting your VOM and have a couple of those as spares. Noting more frustrating that "pegging" your meter because you have the function set incorrectly and no replaemment fuses on hand. No need to ask how I know this.

My fog's dont' work either, but they went out slowly... like, they'd take time to come on. Are you SURE they aren't relayed? Because what would happen is I would pull the switch, then 3-6 seconds later the lights would come on.

Now, nothing happens... 0o' at all.The switch doesn't even light up.

Granted, my fogs are not factory (they are mounted under the bumper on L mounts) so I dunno...

AC, did you get your fogs sorted? As I suspected my issue again was an open ground. This go round I took a little more time

to diagnois what was going on. My lamp would work dandling from the wires but once I would mount it in the housing it would go out. Then at

one point I nearly melted the bulb retainer to the fixture because the ground was so terrible. After a 1/2 an hour of playing

around with it I discovered the positive lead, once the lamnp was fitted back in to the fixture it would disrupt the ground and no light. So after

finagling the wires around a bit inside the housing all is well.

My fog's dont' work either, but they went out slowly... like, they'd take time to come on. Are you SURE they aren't relayed? Because what would happen is I would pull the switch, then 3-6 seconds later the lights would come on.

Now, nothing happens... 0o' at all.The switch doesn't even light up.

Granted, my fogs are not factory (they are mounted under the bumper on L mounts) so I dunno...

If it was the factoty fog light kit, there should be a black Bosch relay mounted on the passenger side firewall near the wiper motor.

• 1 month later...

My fogs don't work either. It's the relay on my rig. Sounds like it could be the same on yours. I can get mine to work by unmounting the relay and banging it on the firewall or with a hammer. Might want to try that.

anyone got a pic of the relay in the relay boix so i know what im looking for :). also im putting on a grille gauard and the fog lights mount on there can i use the factory wires to plug in the nw fog lights i get from walmart or auto part stores? thanks

can i get the relay at the autoparts store or is it a dealer item?

I'm sure Nissan can get you one but people on here say you can get them easily at most autoparts stores. Just bring in the old one to match it up. I tried to get one at Autozone, but the one's in stock were wired differently and didn't allow the fogs to function at the same time. I haven't put much effort forth since then to find one that works. They are around $12.

Maybe someone on here can chime in on a store that carries them.