transmission.... help

4X4pathy94

Im taking the transmission out of my pathy and was wondering do the torsion bars have to come right out in oder for me to drop the transmission?

or is there a way just to disconnect one side? So the diff can swing down.

they have to come out. if you are 4wd you will have to drop the torsion bar crossmember also to clear the t-case

oh yea i was looking at that and was kinda hoping that i wouldn't have to take that off. i have never done this before on any vehicle and was wondering if there was anything else i should take to make this easier.

ihave taken this out so far:

rear drive shaft

4x4 drive shaft

i have 2 of the torsion bars out

skid plate off

wondering if i have to take out the y pipe along with the rest, looks like it is in the way

also i was wondering if anyone would know if this problem would be the tourque converter or something else... I was driving the truck and made a corner going uphill and then my transmission felt like it came out of gear and in to neutral and after that made a funny noise kinda of whine when i pushed the gas. Park still works but no other gears are working. To make matters worse after that my starter became stuck on making a horrible whinning noise. any ideas im thinking torque converter and perhaps flywheel as well.

oh yea i was looking at that and was kinda hoping that i wouldn't have to take that off. i have never done this before on any vehicle and was wondering if there was anything else i should take to make this easier.

ihave taken this out so far:

rear drive shaft

4x4 drive shaft

i have 2 of the torsion bars out

skid plate off

wondering if i have to take out the y pipe along with the rest, looks like it is in the way

yeah, you have to take the y pipe out. make sure you disconnect all the wiring and breather hoses as well.

to get to the torque converter bolts you have to take out the starter and unbolt all the lower trans bolts in order to get the drive plate to drop out. You also need to remove the starter bracket.

some people advocate dropping the tranny and t-case as one unit, but that caused some clearance and weight problems for me. depends how high you can lift up your truck safely i guess.

Proably is, just had thoughts of someone here cutting the floor out of one in a j/y to get one...

yep, that was Koveman and I :D

also i was wondering if anyone would know if this problem would be the tourque converter or something else... I was driving the truck and made a corner going uphill and then my transmission felt like it came out of gear and in to neutral and after that made a funny noise kinda of whine when i pushed the gas. Park still works but no other gears are working. To make matters worse after that my starter became stuck on making a horrible whinning noise. any ideas im thinking torque converter and perhaps flywheel as well.

I honestly dont know. Hope it is just the TQ converter and not the whole thing.

how did you go about getting at the mounting bolts for the y pipe. they are pretty high, and in a tight spot.

I hope its the torque converter, but is there away to figure out if my transmission is good when i pull it out.

how did you go about getting at the mounting bolts for the y pipe. they are pretty high, and in a tight spot.

I assume you mean on the passenger side. Long extension (17"+) & probably a swivel. PB Blaster nuts first if possible. Long extension & swivel comes in handy also for unbolting the tranny from the engine as well.

Edited by andreus009

I hope its the torque converter, but is there away to figure out if my transmission is good when i pull it out.

idk if there is a way to find out once it is out. There is a whole diagnostics section in the FSM, or you could download it from this forum, but the tranny still has to be in the vehicle I think.

I assume you mean on the passenger side. Long extension (17"+) & probably a swivel. PB Blaster nuts first if possible. Long extension & swivel comes in handy also for unbolting the tranny from the engine as well.

Yes, long extension for the y pipe bolts, and something to hold the bolt in place while you turn the nut - - or is that what a swivel is for? lol

Extensions are a must to get the tranny bolts out! As in, multiple extensions that are dual position + a 14mm wobble socket. Someone to guide the socket onto the bolt helps too.

Yes, long extension for the y pipe bolts, and something to hold the bolt in place while you turn the nut - - or is that what a swivel is for? lol

If i remember correctly it is studs on the passenger side. So either the nut turns or the stud turns. Either way it comes out.

swivel a.k.a universal joint (had to check my self)

Here is thought about dropping the tranny. Mine is a 5 spd but maybe this applies as well for the auto. I've had my tranny out twice and didn't have any fancy jacks (used 2 standard floor jacks, though 1 did have about 5" diameter plate/dish), so to help control the way it wants to roll, I left the tranny support crossmember bolted to the tranny. This leaves you with some leverage arms when it is disconnected from the frame. Those with autos can comment on whether or not this has merit.

Edited by andreus009

took this video real quick take as much crap out as possible because it is a pain in the ass. go buy a cheap box end wrench for the torque converter bolts and grind the hell out of it also put the torque converter on the tranny first not the motor also if you can look in the torque converter and mine was missing teeth so i new it was bad. i have a 3 inch BL and it was a pain so good luck

pictures worth a million so a video is worth

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...=P1000332-2.flv

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/P1000286.jpg

took this video real quick take as much crap out as possible because it is a pain in the ass. go buy a cheap box end wrench for the torque converter bolts and grind the hell out of it also put the torque converter on the tranny first not the motor also if you can look in the torque converter and mine was missing teeth so i new it was bad. i have a 3 inch BL and it was a pain so good luck

pictures worth a million so a video is worth

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...=P1000332-2.flv

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/P1000286.jpg

yea i having trouble with the torque converter bolts seems the oil pan is in the way.... did you unbolt the tranny and move it to get at the bolts?

• 2 months later...

yea i having trouble with the torque converter bolts seems the oil pan is in the way.... did you unbolt the tranny and move it to get at the bolts?

no i went threw the starter hole and bought a cheap 14mm and took it to the bench grinder its one of thoes bent ones

thanks guys for all your help trans has been finished for a while and everything seems to be going well except for those darn rebuilt starters hate them.

I told you that you could have the starter from the parts truck! :deadhorse:

Edited by adamzan