Headliner

Toby

How does it come down?

Or the grey vinyl covered piece in the center, does that come down seperately from the rest of the headliner? the vinyl is coming off mine and I'm going to replace it or reattach the vinyl. but it's got pushpins holding the vinyl up now.

I think that's probably the most common Pathfinder interior malfunction. I'm sure everybody will chime in on what they did to fix theirs but here is what I did to 2 Pathys that I've had.

Path number 1. I pulled all the vinyl of and then used goop and mineral spirts to clean of all the remaining glue and foam padding. When I was done I had a smooth white plastic panel. I taped it off and used can of gray vinyl dye in a contrasting shade of gray to paint the panel. It looked almost like it came that way from the factory.

Path number 2. I took the dome light assembly loose, pulled the vinyl down slighty in the openings that were exposed from the light removal, and sprayed aerosol trim adhesive in between the vinyl and the plastic panel. As the adhesive dried i used the palm of my hand to press the vinyl back. I got a few air bubbles in there but overall it looks pretty good. Someday when I've got time I'll use the process I did on path 1. because that one came out better but it was more work getting all the old glue off.

this was path1 after I finished

headliner.jpg

Edited by dhardison

reattaching with glue while it's still in isn't happening lol. I'd much rather take the headliner piece out itself. It should just be clips but I've seen some goofy headliners.

My old SL1 headliner I used glue on though and it made a hell of a mess. I'll never use it while it's inside again. But that vinyl bar is separate from the rest of the headliner?

The vinyl part is seperate from the headliner - 2 peieces, one on either side of the interior light- and is held in by little clips. Just pull down. You'll probably have to take the trim pieces above the doors off

yeah I figured i'd have to take those pieces off. I just wasn't sure if it was stuck on with the regular cloth part.

Nope it is clipped in behind the trim abobe the doors and under the dome light. I think they put it there to hide the clips for the frant and rear headliner pieces.

I need to reglue the ones in my 93, they fell down while it was sitting this summer.

Nope it is clipped in behind the trim abobe the doors and under the dome light. I think they put it there to hide the clips for the frant and rear headliner pieces.

I need to reglue the ones in my 93, they fell down while it was sitting this summer.

on the 94 it's screwed on under the trim pieces. But the full bar is 3 pieces.

and I tried finding a pic for the above poster but google didn't give me any images.

What exactly are you guys talking about? I guess mine is off? All I have is metal around the interior light between the headliners.... Anybody have a pic they can show me what I'm missing?

I'm with ya bud. My starting coming apart years ago so I took the whole thing down. Planned on fixing it but decided it wasn't worth it after the pieces sat around for about 2 years. *lol*

I'd like it with a different vinyl on it. Or a more upscale.

But the trim around the door just pops off? After taking the grab handle off I'd assume. Two screws hold the roof panel in under that trim piece.

What exactly are you guys talking about? I guess mine is off? All I have is metal around the interior light between the headliners.... Anybody have a pic they can show me what I'm missing?

Here is my 88, all black headliner, but you can see the seperate pieces to either side of the dome light.

newheadliner.jpg

Mine was peeling off and I tired some of that headliner adhesive but it came out all blotchy looking with air pockets all over the place. I'm thinking about just ripping it off and painting it or putting some other material on.

If you do re glue the vinyl and find you have air pockets left after-wards, simply prick the pocket with a pin as is used for darning and massage the air out. You will not see this hole after the next step.

A small rubber roller as used by artists when doing etching etc is most useful for smoothing this all over.

I used Ados F2 contact adhesive spray on mine, but in my haste I don't think I removed enough of the foam backing from the original, and over the summer with the truck parked outside, it has loosened again. I will do it properly this time and clean both surfaces and use the Ados F2 glue instead of the spray.

Here is how I removed mine;

Remove the center light; pop the lense off and there are two screws under here. The middle section can now be popped off at this stage to expose the ends of the outer two sections.

Remove the trim from around the door A pillar at the windscreen and above the door. This clips off, You will also need to remove the hand grab if one is fitted. Take care when removing this trim that yopu do not over exert it. I used a thin engineers steel ruler to prise it all off.

There are two screws holding the 2 outer sections on under this trim above where the the seat belt attaches. I broke mine off before I figured it was screwed on here.

The outer trims are held on via 4 plugs that pop into the steel roof rib section. Again I used the ruler for this too.

Be aware that your hood lining may sag at this stage and you may have to use a bit of duct tape to temporarily secure it.

If you do re glue the vinyl and find you have air pockets left after-wards, simply prick the pocket with a pin as is used for darning and massage the air out. You will not see this hole after the next step.

A small rubber roller as used by artists when doing etching etc is most useful for smoothing this all over.

I used Ados F2 contact adhesive spray on mine, but in my haste I don't think I removed enough of the foam backing from the original, and over the summer with the truck parked outside, it has loosened again. I will do it properly this time and clean both surfaces and use the Ados F2 glue instead of the spray.

Here is how I removed mine;

Remove the center light; pop the lense off and there are two screws under here. The middle section can now be popped off at this stage to expose the ends of the outer two sections.

Remove the trim from around the door A pillar at the windscreen and above the door. This clips off, You will also need to remove the hand grab if one is fitted. Take care when removing this trim that yopu do not over exert it. I used a thin engineers steel ruler to prise it all off.

There are two screws holding the 2 outer sections on under this trim above where the the seat belt attaches. I broke mine off before I figured it was screwed on here.

The outer trims are held on via 4 plugs that pop into the steel roof rib section. Again I used the ruler for this too.

Be aware that your hood lining may sag at this stage and you may have to use a bit of duct tape to temporarily secure it.

^ lets buy this guy a pizza!

Glad to be of assistance. Hope I got the instructions made clear enough, im recovering from a massive bout of the flue.

I also removed my hood lining and placed a 5mm thick sheet of aluminum from the front light to the center light so i could mount my mini ITX PC to the hood lining. With all the linings and trims removed I future proofed the truck as much as I could by running all manner cables from the dash to the PC. These I made protrude from the forward facing edge of the very center trim that the light attaches too. I had to cut this edge back by about 6mm to allow enough room for all these cables.

One day id like to remove the rear section of the hood lining to see if I can hide my power amp in the boot area somewhere. Mine has the hump in the rear hood lining and it looks like there is enough room for it to fit maybe.

I HATE THAT STUPID PART IT SUCKS BIG FAT......

Yeah just take the light off and then rip that thing off. Mine was not only peeling but cracked in several spots. I ripped off the vinyl and used oven cleaner to clean off the sticky foam. Then I glued the smooth plastic pieces together with krazy glue and used a few pieces of strategically placed double sided tape to re-attach the vinyl. You can also spread some gluey substance over the plastic or just spray paint the plastic black. If you really have some time, find some leather, cut it up, and cover it with that.

FYI, when you are ripping those plastic panels off, when you take out all the top retainers, there are some stuck into the side. Take off the handles if you have them and just yank on the plastic pieces. The side retainers will fly out and you don't have to put them back in as they do absolutely nothing. Just pop the plastic back in when you are done with it.

I HATE THAT STUPID PART IT SUCKS BIG FAT......

Yeah just take the light off and then rip that thing off. Mine was not only peeling but cracked in several spots. I ripped off the vinyl and used oven cleaner to clean off the sticky foam. Then I glued the smooth plastic pieces together with krazy glue and used a few pieces of strategically placed double sided tape to re-attach the vinyl. You can also spread some gluey substance over the plastic or just spray paint the plastic black. If you really have some time, find some leather, cut it up, and cover it with that.

FYI, when you are ripping those plastic panels off, when you take out all the top retainers, there are some stuck into the side. Take off the handles if you have them and just yank on the plastic pieces. The side retainers will fly out and you don't have to put them back in as they do absolutely nothing. Just pop the plastic back in when you are done with it.

they are pretty flat. Recovering them with the same vinyl (or another material) wouldn't be all that hard. Spray glue would be the best bet (it comes in cans). It's pretty easy and i'm sure getting some tiny thin padding wouldn't be as hard either.

I "fixed" the ones in my 93 the other day. I pulled the dome light and center section, then just popped the sections down from the ceiling (so they were hanging by the clipps over the door still) and hit the edges with spray adhesive. Clipped them back in and put the center and dome back up. Not like new, but not sagging and hitting me in the head anymore either.

Edited by GrimGreg

• 1 month later...

Mine just started to fall off today. I was driving with the windows down and about a third of the pass side pleather suddenly dropped down loose off the headliner. Figures. I was just starting to make headway on the projects I already had slated to work on. ;)

• 3 months later...

actually that gray color looks like crap

anyone got any good ideas for other materials? i was thinking redoing them in black leather but idk

Yeah the grey vinyl does look a rather on the cheap side. But to be honest it was about on par with 90's quality. Can't complain.

But i dunno about a black leather. It'd be a bit off with the rest of the interior. Maybe a similar grey to your interior. or a darker grey like what's on the vinyl part of the cloth seats.

actually that gray color looks like crap

anyone got any good ideas for other materials? i was thinking redoing them in black leather but idk

The ones in my picture on page 1 were painted with vinyl paint. But the rest of the headliner was covered in new vinyl I bought at the fabric store out of the bargin bin.