THOSE WITH E-FANS--HELP!

5523Pathfinder

Anyone who has hooked up a electric fan controller on your rig.......

Where did you get the switched power source from???

Everything else is hooked up, just need that info. Location, wire, connector, any extra info would be appreciated!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

i ran a wire through the firewall on the drivers side and hooked into one of the wires coming out of the fuse box. dont remember which one.

make sure it is one that only powers on when you turn the truck on, like fuel pump or something.

Well, I only have about a 1 1/2 foot lead. I dont really want to run it all the way inside.

I did find a switched source on top of the engine hand my harness reaches. Im going to try ther ena see what happens. Im sitll looking for other options if this doesnt work.

Well, it finally got hot enough and ran. I dont have my temp probe here with me at the moment, so I dont know exactly what temp its coming on at. But it is working.

you should see what temp it comes on so you don't run too hot.

Wasn't the pathfinder already equipped with an E-Fan? Or did you just install a more efficient fan?

it had a fan, but the controller went out. The old controller isnt availble anymore and the new one was different. I have a laser thermometer at work Im going to bring home and see what temp it comes on.

What temp do others have thier set at? I know the newer cars with e-fans dont come on until over 200 degrees. right now it comes on with the needle about half way.

Isn't 190ish the good running temp for these motors?? I remember someone (of knowledge) posting this in a thermostat thread...

What does that equate to for the e-fan setting, I'm not sure... :shrug:

B

i ran a wire through the firewall on the drivers side and hooked into one of the wires coming out of the fuse box. dont remember which one.

make sure it is one that only powers on when you turn the truck on, like fuel pump or something.

you should hook it to a thermostat and constant power. so that when you shut the engine off, it continues to cool. but automatically shuts down with either a switch, or thermostat

you should hook it to a thermostat and constant power. so that when you shut the engine off, it continues to cool. but automatically shuts down with either a switch, or thermostat

thats the way it is hooked up now, but I don't agree with having it run when you shut the engine off. Why do that? The fluid is not circulating through the engine as the waterpump is not running, so essentially you are just cooling the fluid in the radiator and wasting some power from the battery.

I mean, the mechanical fan doesnt keep running after the engine is shut off.

just my 2cents

Anyone who has hooked up a electric fan controller on your rig.......

Where did you get the switched power source from???

Everything else is hooked up, just need that info. Location, wire, connector, any extra info would be appreciated!

From the distributor.

thats the way it is hooked up now, but I don't agree with having it run when you shut the engine off. Why do that? The fluid is not circulating through the engine as the waterpump is not running, so essentially you are just cooling the fluid in the radiator and wasting some power from the battery.

I mean, the mechanical fan doesnt keep running after the engine is shut off.

just my 2cents

this will help if you ever have a heating issue, you can turn the truck off and let air circulate through the rad and engine compartment.

this is how ALL new vehicles with electric fans are.

just my .02

i did this a while ago and had an issue with the switch not getting hot enough. engine temp would be at max before the 180C switch kicked on. measured the coolant and it turns out that when my coolant is at 200 my rad is 175-180. but I never got the controllable switch.

On the plus side, it doesn't matter what speed i'm at, just the rad is enough to keep the needle centred; It only starts to overheat if I idle for a while, so i figure i'm just gonna wire the switch to my brake lights and put a manual over-ride in there somewhere. That way, if i forget about the switch, it'll come on while i'm at a red light.

Everybody, put your hand up if you hate electrical too!!

Do you have the temp probe in between the radiator fins snug?

I have an adjustable t'stat and put the probe inside the upper radiator hose. If the probe wire is thin enough, take the hose clamp off at the radiator and slip it in there. You might get a bit of a leak, but simply wrap the radiator neck with some electrical tape before you put the probe in and the hose back on. The tape should make a softer seat so the probe wire sinks in and will seal any gap between the radiator inlet and the hose once you clamp it down.