Quick Release Rear Seats Mod - '90 WD21

SteeevO

Nice! I'll have to see if I can do this to my R50. I usually take my seats out, and go without all summer, because it's a PITA to remove & replace for every trip.

LOL, in a WD21 the seats are mounted by 2 bolts. Quick release is convenient, but 2 bolts (4 total) is a PITA?? :rolleyes:

B

lol yeah.. it honestly is. which is why i haven't even had my rear seats in over over a year. now i don't even need to dig out the tools to pull the seats out.

the lynch pins I used had a cruved wire intead of squre, I put them back the brackets (on the vehicle) after the seats are out and ocassoinaly use curved wire as tide down points.

And sliping a lynch pin in is allot quicker than ligning up a bolt hole.

Edited by MY1PATH

A quality mid-priced, well-designed tent takes less than 15 minutes to completely erect. And doesn't smell like a musty bedroom.....

I should add that sleeping in a tent means you can keep your food in the vehicle (if 'car camping'). That's a consideration in bear country.

Edited by westslope

A quality mid-priced, well-designed tent takes less than 15 minutes to completely erect. And doesn't smell like a musty bedroom.....

This mod is SUPER convinient when it is raining or super cold....when a tent just won't due. Also, it can be nice when you are putting large cargo in the truck....like moving a dresser....

I should add that sleeping in a tent means you can keep your food in the vehicle (if 'car camping'). That's a consideration in bear country

Bears will destroy your car in search of the food you left in it. I have seen it happen and it's not pretty. Your Pathy is the worst place to leave your food (other than next to you in your tent). If there are no food bins, hang it.

I did the mod that I found here years ago......just change out your bolts with wing nuts.

LOL, in a WD21 the seats are mounted by 2 bolts. Quick release is convenient, but 2 bolts (4 total) is a PITA?? :rolleyes:

B

Same with mine.

And yes it is, every other weekend all summer. I usually have enough to think about and do before I go wheeling.

I like the Idea, even though I don't 'camp' in the back of my truck, I still liek to ocasionally lay back there on a nice rainy night.(Something just relaxing about the sound of it off the roof). May have to give this one a try.

I should add that sleeping in a tent means you can keep your food in the vehicle (if 'car camping'). That's a consideration in bear country.

I just simply hate tents :) I was in scouts from age 6 - 18 plus family trips... i've spent my fair share of time in a tent. and i actually most commonly just sleep under the stars these days unless there is bad weather. i hate rolling them up, and cramming them back in the bag. dealing with the poles, stakes, dumb rain-flys, dirt getting tracked in, the zippers that break.

in my mind there are only two tent options.. the big heavy duty canvas waterproof ones. or a tent-cot.

Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Original

and i 2nd that motion of the food in the truck ... a bear will rip open your doors. use a bear bag in a tree or a steel bear box.

Edited by SteeevO

I use an Air Zone tent if I have company, otherwise I crash in the back of the path when solo. I slide the passenger seat forward and throw the rear bottom in the floor space, I'm tall otherwise my feet hang over.

http://www.airzonerecreation.com/catalog/products/1058.htm

lol, bought mine for $30 NIB :sly: I just hook it to my 12v tire pump and crack a beer while it sets it's self up.

Only draw back is that it is a 3 season tent, no winter camping in it.

well, why would you use an inflatable tent in the winter anyways. Nice for the 3 seasons, but who really, truly camps alot in winter. Even then just get a military spec sleep system for like 300 bones from your P/A. That is what my brother did with his TentCot and he can go 30 below. If you have that sleep system with your pathy I bet 40 below would work, and where in the US is it that Temp? But yea, sweet tent, you see another one for 30 bucks, you let me know, I will buy three and sell the others to people on here for the same price, maybe even less cuz I would feel guilty...LOL!

But yea, sweet tent, you see another one for 30 bucks, you let me know, I will buy three and sell the others to people on here for the same price, maybe even less cuz I would feel guilty...LOL!

Big Lots (closeout chain) bought a bunch of them from a Canadian outfitter chain who bought them and couldn't sell them (was like 3 years ago). Had a friend in my wheeling club do just that, he bought about 5 of them and E-bayed 4 of them. A few others in the club went and got some too, so like 5 or 6 of us all have the same tent, lol. They only had 2 left at the store I went to when I bought mine, and the second one looked like it had been run over the box was so tore up.

i do a fair share of primitive camping and backpacking, and prefer the tent to the trunk any day. i have a pair of Marmot Titan tents and a MSR Hubba Hubba (all double-wall 2-person); this is what i use when it's just me and the dog. with company, i have a Bibler Bombshelter (4-person) that's a great 4-season tent, but a bit too hot for most of Texas camping. my Marmot is aging but still a lightweight at 5lbs, and am looking to upgrade to the new Mountain Hardwear Carbon Reflex 2 ultralight (2.5lbs).

like someone already pointed out, camping out of a tent does not require you to rearrange/empty your truck's cargo just to have a good night's sleep. a decent tent should only take one person 5-10min to erect. that, and the tent has much better air circulation and bug/weather protection than a truck with open windows.

alexrex20: Agree 100%. The comfort and aesthetic experience of sleeping in a tent cannot be matched by a trailer, or a vehicle. Our current go-to model is an 8 lb. 3-man Eureka! tent designed for canoe-tripping in eastern Canada. I use it for car camping and short backpacks.

Mickyricky: During self-propelled travel (canoe-tripping, backpacking) one is often required to hang food in high trees.

Car camping? Not necessary. Not if you are well organized, maintain a spotless camp, and keep any fresh food in a tightly sealed quality cooler. Besides, if the bear were to attack the vehicle during the night--unlikely--then you get dressed and simply shoo the bear away.

And yes, I will territorially challenge any bears found near camp just to make sure we know who is boss. Grizzlies are intimidating but it is really the black bears you want to carefully watch.

And in case you were wondering, yeah, I've spent time on dangerous streets in some of the scarciest cities in the world and feel much safer in bear country than I do in parts of downtown Vancouver or Surrey, BC, for example.

i have to agree, bears arent that scary really, just stand up and show them your dominant, even if your not.....now cougars, they scare me

i'm more scared of skunks. they're brave, stubborn, and if you get too aggressive in trying to shoo them away, they'll spray you! :D

How about putting in a large mattress that matches the protruding height of the folded down seats?

That still wouldn't take advantage of the space gained by just taking them out.

the back of the truck is easy, but last time i did that, the girl i was with got cold so i turned on the car and the heat for al ittle while, turned it off. when the started coming up, i woke up soaked in sweat from the car getting heated up and felt like was gonna die, reached over and poped the rear hatch. that was not the most comfortable night....