OH NO!

beastpath

Backed the truck into the garage this morning so I can work in the shade, and I noticed a funny smell. Looked under the truck and i have a pool of transmission fluid coming from where the engine meets the transmission!

i just dont know what to do anymore

Obviously a trans seal...You could put some products to help make the seal swell depending of the size of your "pool" of transmission fluid....but It would probably just delayed a more catastrophic failure.... I say time to remove the trans and seal changing.... :-( bummer..

i just had it looked at by a mechanic who is close. he says i need a new transmission too. its the original one, so he said the bushing that holds the seal in place is worn out, and that this is a sure sign the transmission is about to grenade.

Quoted me 2400 for a new transmission

Edited by beastpath

i just had it looked at by a mechanic who is close. he says i need a new transmission too. its the original one, so he said the bushing that holds the seal in place is worn out, and that this is a sure sign the transmission is about to grenade.

I actually just went through and got quotes for transmissions, and I think the MOST expensive was 800 for an auto with 59k on it

Plus, If you feel up to doing the swap yourself, it will save even more $$

They told me my transmission was junk 3 years ago and that it was a matter of months before I would need a new one, I was quoted 1800-2500 depending on what I chose to do, and haven't done it yet. (the repairs they would do would be replacing the entire transmission anyways, so I figured why replace it completely before its completely dead)

I have never changed a trans in my life but for that kind of dough, I would put the thing on jackstands and get to it.... Before taking another trans (with potentially other problems) I would surely check at a transmission rebuild place if rebuild kit exists etc... 2400$ !!! He is out of his mind !

Yeah, swaqpping a tranny isn't that bad, more time consuming than anything else. You will need a garage though. When I changed the clutch on my last Pathy, I borrowed a buddy's garage for a few days...

Also, consider swapping in a manual tranny, it could be cheaper or at least more reliable. :shrug:

B

Just how many ex-wives is that mechanic paying for ???

$2,400... Outrageous. Heck, you could get a whole new Pathy for $2,400!!! $3k is the price for a NEW transmission from factorynissanparts.com

I'd suggest reman or car-part.com (salvage).

Agree with the others on DIY. Anything can be done on these trucks. Ask the guy who didn't know an oil filter from a hole in the ground and is now tearing down his engine! :lol: Hang in there and good luck, man.

Also, maybe Fueler or one of our SoCal members can help you out.

the bushing that hold the seal..

WTF? its a press in seal.. 12 bucks.. from autozone.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like that guy just wants money and is trying to sucker you into replacing the transmission for nothing.

the bushing that hold the seal..

WTF? its a press in seal.. 12 bucks.. from autozone.

so have peoples seals blown before and changing them fixes it? cos I'm not having any issues with shifting etc, even with the leak.

here in australia. probly. but over sea's god knows. i bought a wreck for $800 aus. from that i got a good motor, another man box. hub,s etc etc, and then got rid of the shell, but all the extra parts like lights and stuff i couldn't even give them away, and yeh i tried on here. but it depends on what is out there in pathy hevan. just see whats around first. if a wreck can be sourced then a box, pedals, and all the gear should be able to get secondhand, jut get the fly wheel machined aswell before the install. oh and mine was an 87 pathy though

Edited by jadm4x4

It's what the clutch plate gets traction on. Bad flywheel=chattery/weak/fast wearing clutch.

what price range could I do the swap for? would I have to rebuild a manual transmission to make sure its ok? replace items like the clutch?

could i do it for under a grand?

Yes, if you can get all the parts. As jadm said, best way is to get a wrecked pathy (or someone close by parting out). Yes, I'm sure it can be done for under a grand.

As for the seal, sorry, I have no idea... :shrug:

B

It's what the clutch plate gets traction on. Bad flywheel=chattery/weak/fast wearing clutch.

Yes, if you can get all the parts. As jadm said, best way is to get a wrecked pathy (or someone close by parting out). Yes, I'm sure it can be done for under a grand.

As for the seal, sorry, I have no idea... :shrug:

B

oh, ok. and I'm 4x4, so I have to find a 4x4 tranny too right? or do the ones out of 2x4 work too?