OH NO!

beastpath

ok. I'm pretty sure I want to do a manual swap. That is if they definitely are more reliable.

If I can get away with it for a little while though I'm going to try adding some seal swelling stuff - probably the lucas oil tranny treatment stuff - to make her drivable at least while i get parts etc. (cant shop around If i cant get anywhere).

is the standard gearbox really a better option?

Hey Beastpath... I don't know your financial situation nor your freetime, b ut are you really considering a manual trans swap to your automatic because you have a seal that is leaking ??!!! I mean, You're obviously in for some long hours and surprises as you go along... what is so wrong with your auto tranny that you do not like?

Have alook here : http://www.importdrivetrain.com/autotransp...an_truck_id.htm

get a rebuild kit and be done with it and have a trans like new ....

I have an auto tranny and and would not change an thing on the trail...

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents....

Hey Beastpath... I don't know your financial situation nor your freetime, b ut are you really considering a manual trans swap to your automatic because you have a seal that is leaking ??!!! I mean, You're obviously in for some long hours and surprises as you go along... what is so wrong with your auto tranny that you do not like?

Have alook here : http://www.importdrivetrain.com/autotransp...an_truck_id.htm

get a rebuild kit and be done with it and have a trans like new ....

I have an auto tranny and and would not change an thing on the trail...

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents....

Your 2 cents are welcome any time!

Honestly no, i have never had a problem with my transmission before. A couple of weeks ago after I did the electric fan change over it was revving up slightly at steady speeds, and then would drop back down. I think it wasnt getting enough juice as my alt was going out, and it stopped after I stopped using the A/C. After that I did notice that it was exceptionally hot underneath the parking brake lever though. Like almost scalding hot. (Now the seal is leaking the temp feels normal)

It still shifts fine now even with the leak.

It does have an aftermarket cooler and has been regularly flushed and filled.

I was under the impression that the auto's have a habit of grenading, and that planetary gears and stuff go out, and that manuals are a lot more reliable. Is it just the seals and the clutch plates that go bad?

I would like to spend less than a grand total honestly, and I really would like it done sometime soon.

Do you think I could rebuild it myself, or do you suggest taking it to a pro?

And should I install that "shift kit" that 88 had written about? or is that basically included in those overhaul kits?

I did a few research and if it was the rear seal, I would have tell you to try it out yourself since you do not have to remove the trans... Now according to your description of the problem, it's not the rear but the front. Everywhere, I read, they say you'll have to remove the trans.

Now according to the 94 fsm ( i know you have a 91, but I assumed it would be similar), here's the list of things to do, to remove the trans.:

removal-94-trans.jpg

Now I would say to you, if you are up to these task, then I would suggest you remove the trans, buy the seal kit, then bring it to a trans shop. This would be the best way to save a lot of money and still have a perfect job done. They just won't make any money on parts or remove time....

Do you have the fsm to help you with this ??

If your keen to do the manual swap, change the seal on the Auto(cheap short term fix to keep it going), then scrounge around for a dirt cheap manual, rusted out frame, dead engine, doesnt really matter, as long as its manual and 4x4. You should be able to get an entire parts pathy in the states for under a grand, more than likely running as well.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/1311907900.html

Could be worth having a look, as long as it drives you should be able to check the clutch/box and you get everything you need for the swap & any other part you might want.

Edited by DavefromOZ

If you have no problems with your transmission and you're current on your fluid changes then I see absolutely 100% no point in rebuilding your transmission.

The seal is blown, fix the seal. If the transmission starts slipping or shifting weird, then rebuild it. Until then I wouldn't bother wasting your money.

My first 95 was a 5 speed, my current is a slushbox (auto) and I prefer the auto.

easier to 1 finger salute when passing gear kicks in and I never need to shift in the mud.

Not a big difference in MPG either. Wrong vehicle to worry about MPG's anyhow!-)

Just fix the leaky seal and put some good tranny fluid in there, (Lucas, Amsoil or Purple...)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, seems the shop was right.

Bought a new seal etc, and Koveman was nice enough to offer to help, just needed to figure out a time to drop the tranny.

However on the way home from work last night (was topping up with fluid everyday) there were some funny shifts going on, and once where it wouldnt shift out of 3rd). Then, on the way to my internship today it just refused to shift out of 1st at all.

Tow truck home (the tow guy was a wheeler too, was excited to hear about all the mods) and she is sitting in the garage for now.

So, the question is: should I get this transmission rebuilt, or get one that has already been rebuilt?