OUR CRAP AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT.

jadm4x4

THIS REALLY FRIGN SUX. HAVE A READ TO WHAT THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT WANTS TO DO WITH LIFTS.

ACT NOW - FIGHT UNFAIR 4WD MODIFICATION RULES

Fellow 4WD enthusiasts,

Today is the day we must stand up for ourselves as 4WDers.

You have been branded “car hoons†by the NSW Minister for Roads.

I will not accept my fellow 4WDers, readers of 4WD Action magazine, being branded as car hoons simply because we choose to enjoy 4WDing in properly, safely modified 4WDs.

We, as responsible 4WDers have never needed each other’s support as much as we do today. It is time to act now or have our chosen lifestyle unfairly limited by regulations based on false information.

The news

We became aware on Thursday 16th July of a press release issued by the NSW Minister for Roads, Michael Daley describing severe restrictions to suspension lifts. So many of you have publicly displayed your opposition to this on our forums and via email. We share your surprise and disapproval.

Vehicle Standards Information #50 (VSI 50). Please read the attached version of the new regulations here as they will affect every 4WDer, Caravan tourer, and performance car enthusiast.

Here’s what it means in a nutshell.

Any suspension modification up to and including 2 inches of lift, carried out after Saturday 1st August 2009 in NSW must be fully engineered or carry the manufacturer's approval. The total amount you are allowed to lift your 4WD from the ground is 50mm. That is it! This includes any combination of larger diameter tyres, bodylifts and suspension lifts. Any higher lift than this will only be eligible for conditional registration.

For example a 4WD with a 2 inch suspension lift and tyres even 1 inch larger in diameter will not be able to be registered for daily on road use.

Click here to download PDF from RTA website.

4WD Action strongly opposes this regulation.

4WD Action is shocked at the rapid implementation of this regulation and very concerned that no one from the 4WD industry, nor engineering signatories were consulted nor made aware of this move until its surprise release last week. This places question marks over the real motives behind the regulation and doesn’t even give the limited number of engineering signatories the time to approve the hundreds of suspension modifications made every week.

The team at 4WD Action understands, abides by and promotes the need to modify 4WDs in accordance with sensible road regulations to ensure the safety of all road users.

However this new regulation is unfair on responsible road users and based on false information.

4WD Action readers are enthusiasts who modify their 4WDs responsibly for a wide variety of reasons. These include, family touring, weekend camping, towing, volunteer rescue and clean up operations, trade work and driver training to name a few.

VSI 50 affects everyone. Not just NSW based 4WDers.

Please don’t think this regulation doesn’t affect you and your lifestyle.

Even if you don’t live in NSW, if this regulation is accepted in NSW, there is a good chance it may be adopted in other states. If this unjust regulation goes unopposed by you and me, it will open the door for many more restrictions to be placed on how we modify our 4WDs. As 4WDers and taxpayers, it is time to show your opposition today! We will not have our rights as 4WDers trodden on anymore by an uninformed minority. We must band together, let your voice be heard now.

This approach to improving road safety is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. And it won’t show the desired improvement in road safety anyway. The real car hoons aren’t the people getting their suspension modified by professionals or using properly designed components. This is just punishing the responsible, law abiding road users.

The Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA) in consultation with its members, have conducted extensive and appropriate testing using modified and standard 4WDs. This test utilised professional drivers and the latest in data logging technology as used in top level motorsport to prove that a range of 4WDs with 2 insh suspension lift and 2 inch larger diameter tyres, handled as well and in some cases better than the standard vehicles. This is being presented to relevant road authorities as they attempt to get this approved as a new national standard as in a National Code of Practice (NCOP). I agree that this is a more reasonable outcome.

I propose we adopt the far more sensible NCOP approach which is based on fact and real test data using real 4WDs. That is 2inch suspension lift with a further 1 inch increase in tyre radius making a 3 inch increase in ground clearance before you need to seek engineering approval.

this was taken from our local 4x4 monthly magazine website.

it reallysux for us aussies. our first npora member to be affected will be cyril......... hope this doesnt pass.

Edited by jadm4x4

Stuff like this has got to stop, a few bad apples spoils it for everyone. Just because Joe, down the road can't drive anything bigger than a Geo Metro sub-compact mini car, does not mean that everyone else should be punished.

Rules over time have become more strict here too, and I fear the day that we find ourselves fighting similar regulations here!

4WD'ers of Australia, you must band together and stand against this, not only for your own rights but for the rest of the world as well. When something like this passes and remains law, other countries look at it and eventually start to develop similar ideas!

Well, its been put on hold for a period of time, hopefully they will come to their senses.

NSW MINISTER FOR ROADS

MICHAEL DALEY MP

NEWS RELEASE

MINISTER AGREES TO FURTHER CONSULTATION ON

CAR MODIFICATION LAWS

Wednesday 29 July 2009

Minister for Roads Michael Daley today met with representatives from the 4WD community and car industry who asked for the introduction of proposed vehicle modification rules to be delayed and for more time to consult.

Mr Daley said he agreed to put the rule changes on hold and that more consultation was needed following the meeting.

“I’ve listened to feedback from the industry and the community, and have agreed to set up a working party to look more closely at how we are going to address this road safety issue,” he said.

“All of those who attended today’s meeting agreed that safety is paramount and that unsafe modifications of vehicles do need be stamped out.

“The working group will include representatives from the NSW Centre for Road Safety, Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT, Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association, the Australian 4WD Industry Council as well as other agencies and experts,” Mr Daley said.

Executive Director of Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association Stuart Charity said this was a terrific outcome.

“We’re passionate about road safety and we understand the intent of the regulation is to make the roads safer,” he said.

We’re looking forward to working towards a practical solution that meets road safety objectives while also taking industry views into account,” Mr Charity said.

Greg Redfern from Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT also welcomed the outcome and said the working group would have their full support.

“We want to eliminate unsafe practices in the driving community and we’ll work with the government to make sure these new regulations meet those objectives without any adverse consequences for the motoring community at large,” he said.

“We all agree that there is no place for extreme and illegal modifications, but the clubs in our association follow a strict code of conduct and ethics, and we want to make sure they’re not punished,” Mr Redfern said.

To me this seems unbelievable. Australia has some seriously rough terrain (not speaking from experience). You would think that 4X4 mods are a part of life there. In the quote "outback", stock rigs are not only ineffectual but can be dangerous if you become stuck or break down.

Just my opinion.

LOL ironically, most of the modifications you guys do make the truck safer

farkin retarded governments. don't feel bad, we have the same type of jackasses in office here in ontario as well. they really like to ban stuff around here and make outrageous laws. Makes me want to move to Alberta

The total amount you are allowed to lift your 4WD from the ground is 50mm. That is it! This includes any combination of larger diameter tyres, bodylifts and suspension lifts. Any higher lift than this will only be eligible for conditional registration.

This number was obviously reached by painstaking research of the course of years, not pulled out of some desk jockeys oversized arse as a nice round, covenient number...

Good luck guys, that is one of the more stupid things I've have heard in a while...

B

LOL ironically, most of the modifications you guys do make the truck safer

Well this is the problem. 99% of people use approved aftermarket parts better than OEM quality. Any custom work has to be engineered anyway. Not a lot of thought was put into the rules but they have been put on hold to consult with the appropriate bodies.

That sux guys. We tend to have stupid f*ckin laws here in the states to. Luckily we, as human beings, were given the ability at birth to make decissions. Like the decission to not follow a bullsh!t law & to do whats best for you. My vehicle has not passed an inspection here in NC for 4 years but I'm still truckin. Oh & to any LEO's reading if you see me coming you can go a head & pull me over for that bogus seatbelt law thats in place to idiot proof the country & to take away my personal rights & freedoms, cause trust you me I aint wearin' one!

To my Aussies, after my little rant, I hope all goes well for you guys Downunder but remember, just because its a law doesn't make it just or right, sometimes you gotta do watch a gotta do.