X-terra

Soccerstudd5

I don't own one, but my Aunt and Uncle have one. It's a 2000 with only 56,000 on it and they haven't had any real problems with it. I've driven it quite a bit and it drives pretty nice, it's got "alright" power and it stops and handles well. My Aunt loves it but my Uncle says that it's gutless and it sucks gas. :shrug:

i always thought my vg33 qx4 was gutless, until i drove an xterra. that thing has no power and terrible on-road handling, but they can be modified pretty good for off-road....

My ex had a 2000 xe. I quite liked it.

He wasnt too thrilled about it when we test drove an automatic. He ended up with a manual transmission, which had a bit more go to it.

There are plenty of Xterra forums if you want to research common issues.

yeah, it's kind of gas guzzler most of the time but there are folks out there that get 20+mpg in theirs..

handling.. i've never driven a completely stock one but they are freaking huge compared to the pathfinder...

get a good mpg car for a DD, man.

get a good mpg car for a DD, man.

Reason for a SUV is that I've got some college left and I need something to get me and my stuff to and fro. MPG isn't my main question on here, I can deal with 15-18. More just curious if anyone had any experience with them, did seem a little gutless driving around the lot (they were about to close), but also felt like it needed a tune up.

Seem to get a lot of good information on this forum so was seeing what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks again and I'll do some research.

Being a college student myself and having to haul stuff back and forth too, I would go with the xterra over the frontier just because most of the stuff you usually carry isn't stuff that can be thrown into the back of a pickup. At least in my case.

Being a college student myself and having to haul stuff back and forth too, I would go with the xterra over the frontier just because most of the stuff you usually carry isn't stuff that can be thrown into the back of a pickup. At least in my case.

pathfinder holds more cases of beer then an xterra.. there was a thread about this long ago.. lol

Agreed. Most of my stuff isn't throw in the back of a truck stuff... and I like being the one that drives when me and my friends go somewhere.... frontier doesn't carry very many people either... thanks for the input though.

What about a X vs a R50?

The X is bigger and isn't a unibody....

I agree with the statement about the S/C wheels, they are &^%*ing sweet! And OSR, the S/C was not available with a manual, but I would still go with that one if I got any Xterra.

to the OP: why don't you just find an 01/02 Pathfinder 5 speed? I went from a 97 auto to an 01 5 speed, it is a blast to drive and never gets less than 17 in my 50/50 mix of driving...also the unibody means superior on road ride and handling...

Edited by laxman0324

May also want to look at Frontiers if your priority is moving stuff back and forth.

See, i too looked at the frontier, but they have the truck pricing, anything in that class is automatically overpriced, whereas in the SUV class you can get a pretty cheap vehicle....and personally, although I LOVE the first gen frontier body styling, and love the truck in general, if im gonna pay for a truck, its gonna have to have a v8 for towing...

Really, it depends on how much $$ you want to spend, you could go grab an r50 for very cheap, whereas if you have a bit more $$, you could get a supercharged X and if you decide you want a new vehicle in the next years, you could use the X for an SAS and as a trail rig, whereas IDK how you would get an R50 or R51 on two full axles....

And correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you get a s/c from a newer X, and put it into a manual older X?

I would personally be happy with just a 3.3L v6 manual, but all I can find locally are the smaller engines with the standards...gah

And in college.. what more do you need??? :unsure:

:D

i'm puzzled.. and he even repeated that his stuff is not for the back of the truck.. what kind of collage student are you? :D :D

a few cases of beer is all you need.. maybe a sleeping bag or something.. good to go.. :beer::D

And correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you get a s/c from a newer X, and put it into a manual older X?

I would personally be happy with just a 3.3L v6 manual, but all I can find locally are the smaller engines with the standards...gah

Can you get a s/c in a manual older x?

Do the standard x's have a bit more guts than the autos?

What about a X vs a R50?

The X is bigger and isn't a unibody....

I believe it is taller. R50 is longer & wider. Interior space is pretty much the same.

Much easier to take out the back seats to make more room for hauling crap (the bottoms come right out -- where as I unbolt my seat bottoms every summer for camping)