I need a new clutch what should i get?

shane

Hey guys i am going to replace my clutch in a week or two and i want to know what would be the best clutch kit i could get that is affordable or even a clutch kit that someone has good experience with i dont want to spend more then 300-400 on a clutch concidering the price it will cost to get it installed Im looking at 800 to 1500 to get it put in so what is a good clutch that is affordable and can handel the off road

x2 on OEM

my first clutch lasted 190k and was still good when it was replaced with the tranny.

My second one is OEM I only have 40 K on it and will prolly be replaced before its time when I eventually do my engine swap.

I asked the same question on N4W and guys that had tried aftermarket clutches for the pathfinder said that the OEM one was better.

x2 on OEM

my first clutch lasted 190k and was still good when it was replaced with the tranny.

My second one is OEM I only have 40 K on it and will prolly be replaced before its time when I eventually do my engine swap.

I asked the same question on N4W and guys that had tried aftermarket clutches for the pathfinder said that the OEM one was better

i would like to have this clutch set but its to pricey, im going to try the oem set do i have to order it or can i pick one up at a auto zone?

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/centerforce-...-v6-p-3806.html

That was actually the exact clutch I enquired about when I asked on N4W. Centerfroce makes good clutches, just not as good as oem for the pathfinder, or so I've been told.

ty and what would be a good front brake pad set i ushally ride the brakes to keep a steady pace

I never had a problem w/ oem pads, ebc greenstuff is good and I've heard good things about HAWK pads tho I've never seen em.

Is it recommended to resurface the flywheel when replacing the clutch? I have replaced clutches in FWD cars in the past and not resurfaced the flywheel, but...it would probably extend the life of the clutch???

Is it recommended to resurface the flywheel when replacing the clutch? I have replaced clutches in FWD cars in the past and not resurfaced the flywheel, but...it would probably extend the life of the clutch???

I know in our rodeo they didn't resurface the flywheel and now the pedal vibrates...You'll see mike, I'll bring it up sometime.

Yes, it is a good idea. I inquired at a machine shop about it (don't have a lathe big enough) and it was cheaper to buy a resurfaced one from Napa using the old one for core charge... about $70 IIRC.

B

I had my flywheel machined at NAPA for something like $30. While you have the flywheel off you should probably replace the rear main seal as well. I installed the Centerforce stage 2 clutch and popped my slave cylinder within two weeks. This was probably due to the stronger pressure plate. I have since replaced the slave and I am planning to change the rubber clutch line over to braided stainless for reliability. I got my Centerforce clutch set on Ebay for $130. Over OEM, the Centerforce is definitely not worth the premium price that Rugged Rocks is asking. I don't know why the price is so high on RR. $500 difference? WTF?

replace with a nissan clutch.

from my local nissan technician. "I have never seen a nissan clutch fail".

worn out, yes.. fail. NO.

I replaced mine at 340K and it was still in working order.

I have seen a Nissan clutch fail. One of the springs in the friction plate broke and lodged in the fingers of the pressure plate. The clutch wouldn't disengage. That was a first for me, but was probably caused by abuse. I would still go with the Nissan OE unit though. I believe most of the Nissan clutches that I have seen were Exedy branded. 1 failure out of 11 Nissan clutches isn't bad.

Edited by KovemaN

Hard shifting, dumping the clutch and engine braking. I think it may have been the pilot bushing wearing out that really brought on the failure. It was severely trashed. The springs in the friction plate appeared to have been rubbing on something before it failed. I don't recall if it was the flywheel bolts or the pressure plate. I think it happened because the whole assembly was not staying centered with the worn out pilot bushing. It was a freak incident in terms of Nissan quality. BTW, it was the original Nissan clutch and it had 120k miles on it.

nissan OEM clutch will take some abuse...even the OE replacement that the parts stores sale will...I'm rough on clutches/flywheels...the last one i changed I put 40k on and when i just parted that truck out it still looked almost new with the exception of a few hot spots on the flywheel. I think i've been the roughest on a clutch here as of lately b/c i've done a lot of 4-lo required offroading and now think I've stretched out the chain in the Tcase b/c something in the driveline slips bad on 4lo steep climbs but we'll keep at it till it breaks

One thing i did notice in the 95 when i changed it from the original one (about 110k on it) was the replacement's spring wasnt as stiff so it was a "soft" pedal which was just like the one in my 87 but incredibly soft compared to what it was prior to the change, enough to make me worry about it until it drove fine

ok just sent my truck in its costing me 850 witch is low cause everyone else wanted 1000+ but i got a oem clutch with a heavier disc plate so it will hold better like the higher more expensive clutchs