WD21 dual steering box - replace IA

helix66

no way did I use a fork or hammer! lol. My box already leaks from the worm gear seal, I dont need another leak from the pitman arm seal.

Good,you keeps the 2 little fingers on the shaft that hold that top screw intact.(pinion height ajuster)

they like to break when ppl try to beat the arms off.viannen_09.gif

Ok guys, I got the hoohaa centerlink and manual box all installed. Feels a lot tighter but I seem to have an issue.

While driving to work I noticed when I turn the wheel it stays pointed in that direction when I let go. I have to physically turn the wheel back to the straight ahead position.

It does not automatically recenter itself straight ahead.

Also, when moving straight forward the wheel is very unstable - as in I have to keep compensating to keep it in the straight position. (alignment maybe? I only did an eyeball, will get a proper one on Monday)

Both of these make it kind of stressful to drive.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I was going to ask last night on the pitman shaft tightness on that manual steering box..Is there an adjustment where it can be torqued to proper tightness?

Is that manual steering box pretty much self adjusting? Did you check the play on the pitman arm spinning it 360 degrees making sure its not binding up before it was connected to the center link? :shrug:

Edited by PATHRIDER

The pitman on the dummy box is easy to turn without the worm gear. You can twist it by hand. It physically wont spin 360 even with the worm shaft out as the gear teeth get in the way.

As for the power steering box I honestly didnt check for binding, but it moves well enough when I turn the wheel - in fact its more responsive than it was.

When I was doing stuff I did loose some power steering fluid when I undid the adjuster nut at the top. Could it be lack of pressure that is making it not turn back to center?

Sounds like air in the system. It should work its way out. The floating feeling could be from the toe being out of adjustment. If you set it neutral the steering will wander. It needs just under 1/4" toe in.

not centering...

how tight did you get the 7/8" bolts? (40-45ftbls, go 40 then turn till the cotter pin will slide in)

the sperical bushings on the hoohaa may need to break in?

aligments are recomended any time a front end part is changed

I cant seem to find this kind of pitman arm remover anymore...You guys have any idea where I can get one

J 6632-01 Pitman Arm Remover

This is the puller I have, it works great on everything I have used it on so far.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10316&group_ID=1245&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Your issue sounds like the pitman arm may be rubbing on the center link. You may have to put a washer in between to space them apart. Also if the two spherical inner races are not touching together they may be binding which will screw them up. Before you put the bolt through did you look inside to see if there was a space between the races?

James

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay guys, so I have hunted all the local yards, and even went as far as checking online, in the immediate area I could not find a late 80's to early 90's manual steering gear box for this mod.

What I was able to come up with, was a 94 HB manual gear box, which has the large shaft/spline pitman. The only drawback is that the box is not that much smaller than the power steering gear box I have already on the pathfinder. So, a little bit of measuring and I believe I can solve the fitment issues, because the way it sits now, even with the 3 inch BL, it won't fit right...

I plan on trimming the case as shown (by the red line) and welding a plate back over the exposed section, after removing the worm gear and other corresponding parts. I will probably drill and tap said plate, and install a plug for adding fluid if necessary.

The good thing about this massive box, is it has the LARGE shaft just like my power steering box, and I already have another power steer pitman arm, from a 94 Pathfinder. So the added strength of having BOTH large shaft boxes, merely increases the chance of NOT failing any time soon...

Here is a pic...

newgearbox1.jpg

Okay, got the whole unit tore down to just an empty case. The pitman (think that's what it is called) seal is leaking, so that will have to be replaced. Just gotta find a daggum place that sells one...before I yank it out, as a last resort and cross numbers over...

Hopefully will will have the case chopped and welded in the next few days, I can literally feel the excitement of having her back on the road...man, the anticipation of this is wicked!

Any suggestions on the seal?

Time for sleep...kids start school tomorrow...

Okay, brief update:

The manual box out of a 1994 2wd HB pickup WILL work without chopping the case. My initial measurements were flawed due to an excess of unnecessary items in the way. (IE body lift bumper relo bracket, trans lines, etc.)

Once those items were moved or removed, the box was test fitted, and then notched out appropriately in order to utilize all four mounting bolts.

The cap was welded, and the box along with the hoohaa, two pitman arms and some TRE adjustment sleeves were sandblasted and are now awaiting powder coating at my buddies shop...

Ready to be sandblasted, the pitman that is colored was rattle canned to see how the blue would look.

readytosandblast.jpg

All sandblasted and ready to powder coat.

sandblasted1.jpg

Still hunting a seal...hopefully today....:shiftyeyes:

Edited by tmoore4512

IF you have a bearing shop in your town like mcguire bearing, they can look one up by the number and brand printed on the seal or by measurement and pull one from stock. thats where I got my seal from, it was only a few bucks and done the same day.

We do, and they couldn't do jack. I called timkin while at AutoZone tonight, and they were no help either. So I rifled through some of the seals we have in the back, and found some that were CLOSE but were either too tight or too loose. Just went ahead and ordered the Nissan part...better safe than sorry...frustrating as hell to be this close and stuck...grrr...

• 1 year later...

So over a year later, and still going strong. The dummy box is awesome, and VERY strong. Anyone thinking of doing this, PM me and I will walk you through it if you don't understand all the mumbo jumbo of MY1PATH and I...

lol

• 3 weeks later...

so, since i have a RHD, i could fit a LHD steering box easily inplace of my IA, right? (since my IA is on the LH side of my frame)

sorry, in a rush, didnt read through all this thread, this may have been covered...

love the idea though...

yes you can and you would not need to slot the holes at all. (read thread later)

But do you wanna pay someone to SHIP you a LHD box or are there some available in your area?

yes, i read through the thread now, i know what your talking about...

no, i probably wouldnt want to pay for shipping, those things are probably a little heavy. i would wait till i found one @ the scrapyard...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...