HELP with 4WD problem - all-mode 4wd not engaging !

FUELER

HELP

i have the all mode 4wd (on a switch)

will not engage

coincidentally i found this out the day after my QX4 was impounded by a towing company which could have potentially towed it on only 2 wheels (i dont know)

I ran the self-diagnostic for the transfer case and pulled three codes:

Code 5: transfer motor relay circuit

Code 11: 2-4WDshift solenoid valve circuit or 2WD switch of 4WD shift switch is shorted or open

Code 12: Line pressure switch

Now - what do you experts think of this?

Could this have been caused by a bad tow?

Is there any way to "reset" the computer for the 4WD system - erasing the codes?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Oh dude that sux...

It doesn't sound like coincidence to me... Did they tell you whether they flatbedded it ? That's the giveaway...

DSC_0275-1.jpg

:(

Hope it's not that and that it isn't serious. Wish I could be more help.

Good luck, dude.

Edited by GoPathyGo

thanks for the fast reply. They did not use a flatbed but they DID charge me for the use of dollies - however, as a former tow truck driver, I know it is common practice to charge for the use of dollies even when they are not used (to make a few extra bucks) so i cannot rely on what their invoice says....

thanks for the fast reply. They did not use a flatbed but they DID charge me for the use of dollies - however, as a former tow truck driver, I know it is common practice to charge for the use of dollies even when they are not used (to make a few extra bucks) so i cannot rely on what their invoice says....

Dollies ? You mean the kind that still requires 2 wheels to be on the ground ?? Eff that. I don't have my manual handy but I think flatbed is recommended for all true 4x4s, which yours certainly is.

HELP

Code 5: transfer motor relay circuit

Code 11: 2-4WDshift solenoid valve circuit or 2WD switch of 4WD shift switch is shorted or open

Code 12: Line pressure switch

Now - what do you experts think of this?

From the FSM here are the diagnosis procedures for each Code.

Code 5

Code 5

Code 11

Code 11

Code 12

Code 12

Hope this helps.

Jeff

If there's codes, the all-mode probably won't function. Reset all the codes (you'll need a scanner that can access the all-mode, not just engine) and recheck.

Chances are they towed it with 2 wheels on the ground, otherwise there would be no codes set.

If it was a short distance, there shouldn't be any damage, if it was a longer distance, there could be.

Edited by morpheus

Wait. We're missing the big picture here. Fueler - how'd you get your rig impounded?

Secondly, I think you'd better take it to a shop who'll be nice and work with you to diagnose the issue, maybe the stealership? Friggin A-holes should pay if they've torched your rig's gears.