4 Issues

beastpath

lol, yeah, good point.

so i just got home. didnt run the A/C at all on the way, but when i stopped I measured the temp with my infared gun. now, im sure there is variance with the gun depending on how close to the item you are, but the highest temp i measured around the temp sensor area was at 179*. The thermostat area fluctuated between high 150's and low 170s (seeing as this is a 170* thermo, that makes sense).

The guage in the cab meantime was barely less than the 1/2 way mark. Maybe I should replace my sensor......

I will run the A/C on the way back from school tomorrow and then take a temp measurement too and see how big of a difference it is between 179~ and a bit past the halfway mark on the guage.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember my thermostat thread? lol

Your water pump failed due to the fan clutch being locked all the time before you replaced the fan. I had to replace the fan clutch otherwise the water pump would have been toasted like yours was.

For me the temp is also slightly below the half now but it used to go past the 1/2 way point.

I took it to the shop, they flushed the system and replaced the thermostat and hoses yet it was still going past the 1/2 mark. I took it back and they replaced the radiator too and refilled it again. Finally, it was good. Right now I am on a 180 degree thermostat and the gauge also looks like its a bit off but its still below the 1/2 point. Now this is important, make sure your fan's temp sensor works.

BTW, where is that bleeder screw? What's wrong with just opening the radiator cap when the thermostat opens?

Edited by Tungsten

ok, did the long and tedious process of flushing my cooling system. Cools efficiently at idle, have yet to take her out for a spin as......

The bleeder screw sheared off leaving the rest of the bolt in the intake manifold. I have the worst luck.

ive never drilled and extracted before, is it straightforward?

I've got good drill bits and extractors. I could give you a hand this weekend if you want. PM me or give me a call.

Hey thanks, I actually bought an extractor before I read this, else I would have taken you up on the offer.

As for the flush....it did nothing. The truck runs the same temperatures as before. Got up today and checked the coolant level, was quite low so added to the max level of the resevoir. Drove for about 5 mins and checked the level: It was significantly higher than the max.

Turning on the heat does not cool the truck down, although I cant actually tell if it is hot air coming out, it feels the same temperature as the air inside the truck (90-100*).

Going to replace the rad-cap again to make sure its not just weak pressure(hence the radiator overflow bottle filling up) but otherwise I'm at the end of my knowledge.

Will probably have to take it to someone... :(

i did. But the fact the rad bottle is gaining fluid means the pressure is high, maybe from exhaust gases leaking into the cooling system.

When the waterpump broke off i did overheat slightly, so perhaps the gaskets got damaged.

if you overheated even slightly chances are you baked the head gaskets and you WILL need new hoses

also make sure no bolts or studs have been cracked

when I was overheating with a crap radiator, I did everything possible to not let it go past 3/4 even like pulling over and turning on emergency lights and letting the engine cool

it may have pissed some people off in traffic but at least I didn't do damage

yeah, the entire cooling system has been replaced, so the only other possibility AFAIK is that a HG is crapping out and letting exhaust fumes into the cooling system.

So will be doing that AGAIN next week. lol

did a block test today, to test for exhaust fumes in the coolant. came up nil.

there were some small bubbles coming up fairly often however, like a slow but steady stream of them.....let it run for quite a while to see if I could get them all out, but no go.

what do bubbles like that mean?

the bubbles could mean that there is a slight air/coolant leak in the system

let the bubbles run for about 20-30 minutes (they might go away) and see if theres any coolant loss

letting it run the bubbles out today I noticed

a. temperature is perfect at idle, fan turns on and off as needed. as soon as i drive it goes up

b. bubbles only form if I rev the engine.

c. there is some oily deposits floating on the surface of the coolant - very small, but noticeable.

wiped the deposits away and left her for a while, more deposits formed. wiped the inside of the radiator nozzle with my finger, brown oily stuff.

I would say that confirms a gasket leak wouldnt you? lol

so that begins again tomorrow.

ok, did the long and tedious process of flushing my cooling system. Cools efficiently at idle, have yet to take her out for a spin as......

The bleeder screw sheared off leaving the rest of the bolt in the intake manifold. I have the worst luck.

ive never drilled and extracted before, is it straightforward?

it's never easy but yu have the option of drill and retap if necessary

yeah, the entire cooling system has been replaced, so the only other possibility AFAIK is that a HG is crapping out and letting exhaust fumes into the cooling system.

So will be doing that AGAIN next week. lol

teh opposite would occur. If you breached the HG to the coolant, you would draw on the intake and your truck would blow steam like a train until you shut it down, giving it time to fill and hydrolock the engine.

oil in the coolant... could be a gasket breach between the oil channel and the coolant jacket or... it could be a cracked head or block. Did you check your oil to see if there is coolant in it? I thinkt eh only way to do that is to use a clean pan and pull the drain plug. See if any water beads out at the bottom.

i dont think the block is cracked. how hot would it have to get to do that?

i will have to have the heads checked when I pull them. im thinking its a gasket though as I didnt overheat a huge amount, just a bit past the halfway mark. probably just enough to cause a gasket failure.

i dont think the block is cracked. how hot would it have to get to do that?

i will have to have the heads checked when I pull them. im thinking its a gasket though as I didnt overheat a huge amount, just a bit past the halfway mark. probably just enough to cause a gasket failure.

You seem to have been running it alot at fluctuating temps though... could be possible. I would check the oil as K9 suggested. Man.. if I was in pheonix.. I'd buy you a beer or two... I think you need it! :beer: