4 Issues

beastpath

My temp guage has been hitting the 1/2 mark here in Phoenix with the AC on. 110* does suck, even in the shade. I wouldn't worry unless it gets near 2/3. As for the stalling I would seriously consider the coolant temp sensor to be suspect. If the ECU doesn't get the proper reading from the sensor the air/fuel mixture will be off. I had similar idle issues on my last pathy and replacing the sensor fixed it. If the ecu doesn't like the signal it will return a code 13 in diagnostic mode III.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

burped it and is still running just over 1/2 when A/C is on full blast. Is stable though. I put in a 180 degree thermo, so maybe it just isnt enjoying this weather we are having.

Changed my fan/alt belt out as it had a chunk loose, and didnt tighten it up enough (go figure), so it sqeals a bit. Tomorrow mornings work, lol.

Also ran the codes today and it threw only 2:

21 - ignition signal

33 - Heated oxygen sensor

The 02 sensor is new, but i honestly didnt tighten it down that much, just made it snug. would this be affecting the idle??

^^ and he's in phoenix.. freaking scorch town.

i'd say the temp maybe what it is.. see if it improves once you adjust the belts.

and yeah, 02 not working properly will effect the way the motor runs, especially under load. it's possible that it is bad or is leaking or something.. what does the engine do when you disconnect said 02 sensor?

will disconnect 02 sensor today.

on another note, i had her running while i was doing something in the garage and when i walked around the back i saw a little puddle and some drips.

Looked underneath and I see one of the fuel hoses has cracked and is dripping gas.

Explains the smell of fuel, and probably my dip in gas mileage. Could that also be a reason why it is rough from a coldstart up? Maybe not getting enough fuel pressure until its had a bit of gas?

You're lucky you replaced that Fan/Alternator belt because it also drives the water pump. I had that snap on me doing 70 on the freeway and it was at red line within seconds.

Change the O2 Sensor...

You're lucky you replaced that Fan/Alternator belt because it also drives the water pump. I had that snap on me doing 70 on the freeway and it was at red line within seconds.

Change the O2 Sensor...

even though the o2 sensor is new?

My bad, looked over that... :lol: However defects do happen.

Since cold starts run in open loop the engine requires more fuel by default, so it is possible that it's running rough because it's not getting the required amount of fuel. When it's warmed up and in closed loop, the fuel supply may just be sufficient enough to not cause any problems. Just my guess. :shrug:

Edited by Kingman

kewl, yeah, ill try cleaning the connection on the o2 sensor before i replace it.

anyone know if those hoses connected to the tank at the back are just standard 3/8 fuel hose? or do i need specialty hoses?

cleaned o2 sensor contacts and the code went away.

fuel leak has increased, and I dont have a piece of hose long enough to replace it. To get to it I may have to take the carpet in the back out to access that little door over the tank. Or maybe just take it to a mech.

Does anyone know an easier way to replace these hoses?

Does anyone know an easier way to replace these hoses?

No.

But removing the rear carpet and accessing the fuel sender unit is relatively straightforward. Did it last summer chasing rust.

ok, bought a temp gun today and measured the temperatures at different places.

after driving home for about 20 mins with the AC on setting 2, the temp was just above the halfway mark. This was about half freeway, half street driving, with my speed on the freeway not exceeding 65.

Radiator hump temp: 179

Thermostat housing temp: 185

Water outlet temp (where sensors are): 191

Then i drove to work, again with AC on setting 2. The first part of my journey I was going about 55-65 mph, but the last section of freeway I take is 75mph. Under hard acceleration the temp guage jumped up to beyond the halfway mark. When I got to work I measured the temps again.

Radiator hump: 197

Thermostat housing temp: 198

Water outlet temp: 201

At this point I turned off all my accessories and ran the engine at 2000rpm. This dropped the temp after a couple of mins.

The fan stays on all the time, which means the clutch is bad right? I spun it by hand and it only went about a quarter of the way.

Could it be stuck on, but not spinning at the correct amount so therefore impeding airflow? Or out of balance so not sucking enough air?

It did take quite a beating when my waterpump failed.

Oh and the AC sucks now when at a stop. Its cold when at speed though. Used to be cold all the time. Thats another reason I'm thinking fan. *edited

Edited by beastpath

the saga continues.....

replaced the thermostat with a 170* and did the taurus fan modification. When I refilled the rad i ran it for a while with the "burp" screw open, and then drove it a ways and filled the resevoir up to the max.

A/C comes out colder than its ever been before, but the engine still seems to be overheating slightly.

This increse in temp happens mostly on the freeway and when under acceleration, and especially when I have the A/C on. At idle the temp comes down to just before the halfway.

After getting off the freeway today, with the A/C off, i noticed the temp needle was a bit past the 1/2 mark and when I checked the resevoir there was about 2 more of coolant above the max mark?!?

i am stumped...

when was the last time you replaced the water pump? I have seen impeller blades fail and cause your issues... no one could figure it out until we finally replaced the water pump and it had 2 missing blades! :deadhorse:

there are all sorts of cooling portals that pieces could be caught in... and it sounds to me like that is exactly what you have going on.... You havn't done a flush?? I am not sure if it would work or not... but its wort a try for sure if you havn't! :shrug: Man you have had some bum luck with that reman motor!