Thermostat

Tungsten

It looks like my thermostat is stuck halfway somewhere since I almost overheated the other day. I need some advice on buying a replacement thermostat like what brand to buy and where from anyone that ever replaced one. I was thinking about getting one from NAPA but I don't want to get a defective one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to test one, just put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer.

There isn't really a high quality/ low quality issue with them, since they are all pretty much made buy one or two companies out there.

180 degree, whatever brand. Try not to get the lowest end one, sometimes they are made of weaker metal and stick sooner. For the most part a thermostat is a thermostat. :shrug:

Make sure you get the gasket that goes along with it, and some gasket sealer.

and go lightly on the gasket sealer. the last thing you want to do is get goop into your line and plug the bleed hole in the t-stat or worse yet, interfere with the t-stat's operation

Yeah, you should probably try and swap out the little bypass hose while you are in there. As for the gasket, toss it in the trash and just use silicone (hell, the dealer doesn't even sell thermostat gaskets anymore for this reason).

Advice above is good. In an ideal world, if it is time to replace the stat, do the rad hoses, heater hoses, flush and rad cap too if not recently done.

180° is a good all around stat, you may want a 190° if you are in a cold winter climate area.

Yesterday I poked around to see the current thermostat. It looked pretty damn good, but I changed it anyway. One in there was 171F while new one was 170F. Both were German and USA made so no big deal. Ill find out if this new thermostat isnt so good when I get the engine up and running.

I'd get a 180, and no new housing needed.

Is there any specific reason why? The OEM spec is 170 and I would like to keep the engine running cool. I would get the 180 since it is cheaper than the 170 of the same brand but I would rather get one that lasts longer and works better be it the 170 or 180.

It is better to get the 180. I just put in a 175 and after it opens, the coolant keeps heating up to about 185. That may sound fine, but the last 5 degrees before my engine kicks down take a LONG time. The longer your thermo stays closed while warming up..the less time your engine stays in "open loop", and less gas she Chug-a-lugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought a 180 degree STANT SUPERSTAT (along with hoses etc.) and had a shop install it and flush the cooling system. Everything cost around $400 and I will pick it up tomorrow and report the results.

Ok here is an update

While I'm standing still the coolant temp is around 185 F but if I start moving it goes up to the halfway and even a little bit over sometimes. It was hot out today (86 F) and I do not have a transmission cooler yet, could this be one reason? Is this normal behavior?

It is better to get the 180. I just put in a 175 and after it opens, the coolant keeps heating up to about 185. That may sound fine, but the last 5 degrees before my engine kicks down take a LONG time. The longer your thermo stays closed while warming up..the less time your engine stays in "open loop", and less gas she Chug-a-lugs.

That doesnt make any sense. If it is a 175 then it opens at 175. That means the coolant is flowing through your engine cooling it down. Why would it continue to heat up after the thermo opens? Am I misunderstanding something?

Ok here is an update

While I'm standing still the coolant temp is around 185 F but if I start moving it goes up to the halfway and even a little bit over sometimes. It was hot out today (86 F) and I do not have a transmission cooler yet, could this be one reason? Is this normal behavior?

Mine has been doing this too, although, Im in AZ and its been 112F + here the last week or so.

Goes over the halfway if I use my A/C.

Sounds ok, but it shouldn't go up when you are moving (under normal conditions). Makes me wonder if they burped the cooling system...

B

x2. Although I just burped mine and it had no effect. I'm thinking my thermo is not opening all the way. Gonna replace it with a 170 due to the climate here.

As you had the work done at a shop just take it back and tell them to fix it.

ok i will try a burp and go back to the shop if more coolant needs to be added

also the performance is much better with a 180 degree thermostat and the warm up is faster

will definately be better when i get the tranny cooler going im sure

oh and does anyone know when the fan should spin up??

Edited by Tungsten

have them burp it. You paid $400 bucks for them to do your cooling system...which they seem to have not done correctly. Shouldnt cost you a cent more to have them fix what they were supposed to do in the first place. If you mess with it now they could claim that you were the one who screwed it up and may end up charging you. my .02cents

mine does that too but then after a few seconds it shuts off and lets the truck warm up but i don't know when that spring should engage and lock it again