Tranfer case 4Low

daopi

I have 1997 automatic pathfinder.

I'm a bit confused: to switch in 4L I have to stop the car (= speed zero), put transmission in N, stop the engine, put carefully transfer case in 4L, and start the engine again. Sometimes worked with transmission in P. Is it normal to stop the engine to switch in / out 4L? If I don't stop the engine I can hear a grinding sound and I can't switch in 4L. Sometimes O/D light blinks for few seconds.

Also yesterday I was with a wheel in air and I had troubles big time to switch in /out 4L, was stuck in neutral even with engine off. Do I have to be with all wheels on ground?

Thank you!

Daniel

You shouldn't have to shut off the engine to put the t-case in 4LO. As long as the tranny is in P or N and the vehicle isn't in motion you should be able to engage 4LO.

Turning off the engine when the transmission isn't engaged seems redundant to me. :shrug:

You shouldn't have to shut off the engine to put the t-case in 4LO. As long as the tranny is in P or N and the vehicle isn't in motion you should be able to engage 4LO.

:shrug:

Anyone has an idea what is wrong with my transfer case?

thks!

It probably grinds. Ive had this happen a few times when i had my white pathy. Its weird. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. You just need to be completely stopped, and stick it in N only. Not P. Idk why but it always seemed like it was smoother shifting when the trans was in N. Are you pushing down when you're going from 4hi-n-4lo and vice versa?

Truck needs to be at idle in N. Shouldn't matter if the trucks upside down so long as the wheels aren't spinning.

I have the same problem once in a while too, I just run it through the gears or turn it off before shifting to 4lo, but it's rare and not consistent.

In my (limited) experience with Nissan's system, you have to essentially be at a dead stop and switch to Neutral before engaging 4Lo.

The Auto tranny and the 4WD system share the same transmission fluid. Have you checked the transmission fluid level recently or flushed it anytime recently ? Just wondering if you're low on fluid and turning the engine on and off is giving it just enough extra startup oomph to engage.

Dunno. Just a wild guess. May be a stupid idea. :shrug:

The Auto tranny and the 4WD system share the same transmission fluid. Have you checked the transmission fluid level recently or flushed it anytime recently ? Just wondering if you're low on fluid and turning the engine on and off is giving it just enough extra startup oomph to engage.

the auto tranny and the transfer case do NOT share the same fluid. Unless the seal between the two is leaking, then they do :)

When shifting between 4H to 4L, first STOP the truck, and shift the transmission to N. Depress the transfer case lever straight down towards the floor and SMOOTHLY, QUICKLY and FIRMLY move it rearwards to 4L. DO NOT PAUSE between 4H and 4L, or you will get the grinding sound. The whole shifting action should take less than 1 second.

When I first started using 4L, I frequently had the grinding sound, and had to shut off the engine, too. Then, I realized that I was shifting too timidly and slowly.

some do some don't. you actually have to check. mine does but i switched T-case to GL.

When shifting between 4H to 4L, first STOP the truck, and shift the transmission to N. Depress the transfer case lever straight down towards the floor and SMOOTHLY, QUICKLY and FIRMLY move it rearwards to 4L. DO NOT PAUSE between 4H and 4L, or you will get the grinding sound. The whole shifting action should take less than 1 second.

When I first started using 4L, I frequently had the grinding sound, and had to shut off the engine, too. Then, I realized that I was shifting too timidly and slowly.

the engine needs not be revving but adle then you shouldn't have any grinding.. quick movement is it though.

and OP, you ought to switch to 4lo way before you need it.. if it looks like you may have to have it.. when you're already stuck or in a bad position.. it's hard to switch the t-c sometimes.. and it could compromise your stance even more.

the auto tranny and the transfer case do NOT share the same fluid. Unless the seal between the two is leaking, then they do :)

I'm going with the Nissan Service Manual on this one. Matic-D fluid for both. Filled from the same spot for both. :shrug: I have the push-button All-Mode.

Checking All-mode 4WD Transfer Fluid

NAMA0047

Check for oil leakage and fluid level.

A/T fluid is used for the all-mode 4WD transfer in the factory.

Never start engine while checking fluid level.

Filler plug:

: 10 - 20 N·m (1.0 - 2.0 kg-m, 87 - 174 in-lb)

SMA444B

Changing All-mode 4WD Transfer Fluid

NAMA0048

When changing all-mode 4WD transfer fluid completely, A/T fluid

may be used.

Fluid grade:

NISSAN Matic “D” (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or

Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid

Refer to “Fluids and Lubricants”, “RECOMMENDED

FLUIDS AND LUBRICANTS”, MA-12.

Fluid capacity:

3.0 (3-1/8 US qt, 2-5/8 Imp qt)

I think, as 94extreme said, it's a bit different on M/T and part-time 4WD

Checking M/T Oil

NAMA0021

Check for oil leakage and oil level.

Never start engine while checking oil level.

Filler plug:

: 25 - 34 N·m (2.5 - 3.5 kg-m, 18 - 25 ft-lb)

Changing M/T Oil

NAMA0022

1. Drain oil from drain plug and refill with new gear oil.

2. Check oil level.

Oil grade and viscosity:

API GL-4. Refer to “Fluids and Lubricants”, “RECOMMENDED

Oil capacity:

5.1 (10-3/4 US pt, 9 Imp pt)

Drain plug:

CHASSIS AND BODY MAINTENANCE

Checking Exhaust System

MA-

SMA439B

Checking Part Time 4WD Transfer Fluid

NAMA0026

Check for fluid leakage and fluid level.

A/T fluid is used for the transfer in the factory.

Never start engine while checking fluid level.

Filler plug:

SMA444B

Changing Part Time 4WD Transfer Fluid

NAMA0027

When changing transfer fluid completely, A/T fluid may be used.

Fluid grade:

NISSAN Matic “D” (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or

Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid or

API GL-4.

Refer to “Fluids and Lubricants”, “RECOMMENDED

Fluid capacity:

2.2 (2-3/8 US qt, 2 Imp qt)

Drain plug:

Edited by GoPathyGo

Filled from the same spot for both.

what??? how is this possible... cause i have a 99.5 with the VG33 engine and auto (pushbutton) transfer case and the transfer case and auto tranny definitely do not fill in the same spot

the auto tranny fills at a spout in the engine bay (where the ATF dipstick is)

the transfer case has a fill bolt on top of the transfer case itself.

my nissan manual does in fact say they use the same fluid but 2 pages later it shows the 2 seperate fill locations.....

Edited by FUELER

also in the fluid specs, mine says the AT takes 9 quarts while the transfer case gets 3 1/8 quarts,

Oh yeah, mine was def thirsty. I actually need to go get 3 more quarts of the stuff.

Might be a VQ35 thing. My SM's for an 03 and it doesn't always have VG-specific stuff. It's like there are sections where they forgot to delete or include the VG33 info...

Here's a pic for informational purposes:

4WDFluid.jpg

Oh yeah, mine was def thirsty. I actually need to go get 3 more quarts of the stuff.

Might be a VQ35 thing. My SM's for an 03 and it doesn't always have VG-specific stuff. It's like there are sections where they forgot to delete or include the VG33 info...

The diagram above shows only the fill/drain plugs for the transfer case. It's nearly the same as the TX10A lever-operated transfer case. You cannot fill the automatic transmission using the transfer case fill plug. As mentioned by FUELER, the A/T is filled via the A/T fluid dipstick tube.

Edited by XPLORx4

The diagram above shows only the fill/drain plugs for the transfer case. It's nearly the same as the TX10A lever-operated transfer case. You cannot fill the automatic transmission using the transfer case fill plug. As mentioned by FUELER, the A/T is filled via the A/T fluid dipstick tube.

Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I did refill the A/T via the dipstick tube. Think we're good on that. :aok:

I may be confusing things on the transfer case. Gonna go back, open the hood and check everything to make sure I'm actually remembering everything and didn't just screw it up massively. :)

the confusion is this:

they can use the same FLUID, but the fluid goes in different COMPARTMENTS.

right

FROM the same spot.. fueler

QUOTE(GoPathyGo @ Jun 15 2009, 04:31 PM) *

Filled from the same spot for both.

back to the original topic... Dean is right about shifting it FIRMLY and QUICKLY into and out of 4LO. you don't necessarily have to be fully stopped to do it, but the transmission should definitely be in neutral, with your foot off the gas. if you shift it slowly, it will grind. just push hard and quick and the shifter, and it will go into gear.

when i shift into and out of 4LO, i just put the transmission in neutral, slow to at least ~5mph and then shift.

I'm surprised so many answered my question and I'm also surprised that shifting in 4LO requires some "skills". So looks like is nothing really wrong with my transfer case, just the driver's technique... I didn't check the oil level yet, but I tried today this thing: before the car stopped, for the last feet, I put transmission in N and let roll. After the stop I moved fast in 4LO (without stopping the engine) and everything worked fine. I applied same technique to move out of 4LO. All fine.

About the oil: automatic transmission and transfer case are using same type of oil. I'm 100% sure that in 97 automatic models have separate oil fill/drain plugs for transfer case (TX10A) then transmission. Looks like later models are different...

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Aight, so I did what I HOPE was the right thing.

After scraping off some crap and using a flashlight (apparently my eyes are the latest thing to be going), I found what I believe are the t-case drain and fill plugs. The drain plug was on the driver's side, facing the front of the truck. The refill plug was also driver's side but facing the rear of the truck. Both were basically right at the edge of the t-case. Far left if you were sitting in the driver's seat. Both opened up with a 1/4" drive.

The stuff that came out of the drain plug was so dark brown as to be almost black. There also was far less than I expected. I refilled up to the level of the fill plug, per the service manual. But even that wasn't much. Maybe half a quart, including spillage etc. :scratchhead: I had to use a freaking siphon pump to get the fluid in. Used Castrol ATF instead of Nissan Matic-D.

After filling and closing everything, I started the truck and went through all the locations in all modes. P/R/N/D/2/1 in 4HI, 4LOW, 2HI etc. Nothing screamed at me from the instrument panel and nothing seemed to catch fire. :lol::shrug: Couldn't actually drive it since it's up on jack stands right now, waiting for a new brake line.

Do the location of the plugs and the amount I used sound right ? Did I miss another set of plugs ? Did I just fill something completely different with ATF ? :rofl:

Edited by GoPathyGo

i don't remember if you have manual shift or All-Mode 4WD, but what you described is correct for the manual shift tcase. the drain plug faces forward, the fill plug faces rearward, and they are both on the driver's side. the capacity should be 2-3/8 quarts, so 1/2qt does sound a bit low. but if you filled it up to the brim of the fill hole, then i wouldn't worry about it. all it means is that you weren't able to drain out all of it; but at least you filled it back up to spec.