ran very low on gas ***updated***

ac92pathfinder

i ran very low on gas and yes i know thats on me. i ran it to where the gauge pretty much wont go any lower but i didnt ran out of gas. well i had some put in now my car bogs when i take off from a stop while pressig the gas and i hear a loud clicking noise when im tryin to catch up to speed. my next step is to run some seafoam in there. but whats causing this? i drove it a good 10 miles afteri gased up. could it be bad gas?

Edited by ac92pathfinder

Put a new fuel filter on, I do every time I go too low/empty. You tend to suck all the crap off the bottom of the tank and clog it quickly restricting how much you get to the important end of the truck. May not solve the problem completly but will help and is not exactly an expensive start(plus good preventive maintnance anyway).

Don't these things have a pickup screen on the end of the fuel pump to prevent such a thing?

I've never taken mine out, but it would make sense...every fuel pump I've replaced had a screen at the end of it.

sounds like the filter to me. I had to replace that onemy 300zx (same motor) and it made a huge difference. You might also have caused the fuel pump to start to go. isnt it hard on them to run low on gas? Idk just another option

update i put the new filter with the seafoam now it doesnt start i may have flooded it so i'll try again when i get home thanks

It may take a bit to fill the filter. I belive the fsm tells you to turn the engine over several seconds with the injector circut unpluged to fill the filter and lines again.

also running empty can cause some fuel pumps to get exessively hot. I don't know if nissan falls into that category or not but I been run dead 2x and my pump still works so I'm thinking not.

That doesn't sound like bad gas, it is beginning to sound like a stuck/leaking injector or something.

Water=white smoke, oil=blue and to rich=black

Maybe you got some crap past the fuel filter and it's clogging an injector? :shrug:

B

update so i put some heet antifreeze water remover and added a gallon of gas. so it took awhile to keep it running so finally it stays running. but when i reved it up it was like a cloud of smoke like when you run seafoam in the car it was a thibck whitish grey smoke. then it was a grey smoke when you reved it up like it was rich then black smoke came out after that but it wore off. some times it blows out blueish grey smoke but then that wore off to but when i reved it to it back fires through the air filter box cause of the smoke so right now it just sputters when i rev it up then smooths out. when i drive it it sputters then goes away it would back fire through the air box and when i do a under load the car well clatter loud sounds like the injectors. could it be maybe my fuel pump is going out i noticed when i take off to it kinda jerks smoothly to catch up to speed. like how a stick shift will jerk but this is smooth. hope you guys understand what i wrote. thanks for all your reply

so today sunday i went out there tryin to start it up. runs for like a few sewconds and dies then has a hard time tryin to start it up all i hear is a back fire in the air box with smoke coming out of it. but when it did run would burning coloring smoke came out of it (whitish grey) then blueish grey smoke then it went to black powder smoke coming out then stops from there. i dont know whats goin on. im thinking my next step is the fluel pump. i have a new filter in there. im thinking it maybe one of the injector to is clog cause i hear it clattering when i drive it underload. its like when i start it up seams like a clould of smoke comes out then quits after awhile and its thick too.

does anyone think the seafoam is the problem? ive heard a lot of mixed stories about it.

Maybe the water remover you put in cleaned some of the gunk from the bottom of your tank, pulling it through the lines, probably would clog a new filter or injector in your case. was the water remover Ethanol or Methanol? Methanol has a higher octane. its worth checking out. they sell small bottles of 100% methanol at NAPA.

does anyone think the seafoam is the problem? ive heard a lot of mixed stories about it.

Maybe the water remover you put in cleaned some of the gunk from the bottom of your tank, pulling it through the lines, probably would clog a new filter or injector in your case. was the water remover Ethanol or Methanol? Methanol has a higher octane. its worth checking out. they sell small bottles of 100% methanol at NAPA.

heet http://www.drillspot.com/products/462593/H...e_Water_Remover

I am willing to bet that you either accidentally forgot to plug in something you unplugged (or didn't get it tight enough for a good connection) or knocked something else loose while doing the filter. I changed a fuel filter in an old holley once and knocked off a vacuum cap- chased that around for about six hours, after taking everything apart twice!

• 2 weeks later...

Heet is used in winter so your gas dosnt freeze up in the colder area(it will happen)

Its not really a water remover its more of a gas anti freeze.

Wal-mart sells a cool little thing that siphons gas by squeezing it.I have one that I used for my mud truck when gas was 4 bucks agallon(only people that I worked with and where a-holes...most of them I told when I was getting off that I was going to go get some gas from them...they said Oh,yeah,ok.So I wasnt stealing it.)