Have you checked your bushings?

ILoveMyPatty

I did mine when I did the lift/steering, PB Blaster then MAPP then PB again when it is hot.

they came off like I buttered them and were thinner than a pencil under the bushings.

welded bearing races also.

Crazy how they looked new but under the bushing it was eaten away.

I'll be doing this repair this weekend. I guess I should pick up some bearing races and washers. Anyone have part numbers on the bearing races used?

• 2 years later...

lol... I did those when i first bought my pathy. Had a nasty front end vibration and my rods ended up being a little chewed and the cups squished.. Energy suspension bushings and a coat of powder coat and front end was 50% tighter. HUGE improvement over worns units for people who haven't done this yet... i suggest it.

• 3 years later...

Stoked I can revive an old thread with my first post.

My left side tension rod snapped the other day, so I am debating getting one at a junkyard with everything I need, or buying a new one and all the other shtuff. Junk yard is cheaper obviously, but what are the chances that I will acquire a non worn rod? Should I just suck it up and drop the coin on new stuff?

Pertinent part of the story: I am stranded 300 miles from home, staying at a buddy's house, with none of my tools (stupid, stupid, stupid!), and none to speak of to borrow.

You searched, nothing to be ashamed of :aok:

Personally if there's a yard you can get to with some selection it's worth a try but I would get prices/availability (or just pm Alkorahil on here) as a backup.

Being in CA, you have a chance of finding a serviceable one, but generally speaking, these are hard wear items so new isn't a bad idea if you plan to keep the vehicle.

300 miles, north or south? Might be someone near...

B

Central coast right now, other influences convinced me to buy new. I'll probably even replace the pass side soon enough. Thanks for the help, and knowledge given earlier. Wish I would have read this thread 2 years ago as my d20 is from the salt belt. Damn the luck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Glad to help, that is the main point here. It isn't a pricey part IIRC, but you'll need new bushings as well. Hopefully they cups aren't damaged. Good luck, and call out if you need help/info...

I'm just north of San Francisco myself, but there are members dotted all along the coast.

B

• 2 months later...

I swear (loudly) that I've covered this before, but I could not find it with the search. The bearing race is LM67010. This is from memory that replaced more important things like my father's birthday and Avogadro's number (6.022x1023).

This is thread is weirdly timed as i just replaced my upper trailing arm bushings. Would have done all 4 arms, but man these are a pain to change, so that's all i ended up having time for.

But at any rate, here is the blown mess that was left of my bushing, i was able to push out the collars with my fingers! :lmao::lmao: Pic does not do it justice as to how bad these things were! lol

23458743042_dd0296ace7_c.jpg

-Kyle

• Like 1

Did you have the death wobble? Other than that, unfortunately the OP was talking about the WD21 tension rod bushing, but yes bushings in general... :D

I swear (loudly) that I've covered this before, but I could not find it with the search. The bearing race is LM67010. This is from memory that replaced more important things like my father's birthday and Avogadro's number (6.022x1023).

First off, Avocado's number is just a (guaca)mole, but more importantly "The bearing race I used was LM67010 which is a Timken part #."

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/36792-broken-compression-rod/?p=697589

;)

B

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had a day to myself to climb under my 88 and really look at everything. Most of the rubber in the front end Is just held together with hopes and dreams. Left side tension rod isn't doing anything but looking official. Death wobble in full affect over 45mph.

Don't want to do poly. Anyone make a big kit with a center link and all the steering bushings? Saw one on eBay but that's always suspect.

Get a hold of Alkorahil (aka Rob Lacy), he runs an online dealership parts department out of Texas, knows his stuff, and has just about the best prices you can find for factory Nissan parts. Talk to him and it'll all show up in one big box... ;)

Contact info is in the Classifieds/Services section towards the bottom of the main forum page, and tell him NPORA says Hi!

B