No start... just lots of clicks

Hey all... its been a real long time since i had a question about my pathy that i havent been able to read about and find the correct answer. My problem is now when i turn the Key, the engine doesn't turn, it just makes a bunch of really fast clicks, sounds like they are coming from the fuse panel, but i could be mistaken. I pulled the codes and they read 55-no malfunction. Maybe the starter??? I don't know... this is all very new to a truck that has always started just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all... its been a real long time since i had a question about my pathy that i havent been able to read about and find the correct answer. My problem is now when i turn the Key, the engine doesn't turn, it just makes a bunch of really fast clicks, sounds like they are coming from the fuse panel, but i could be mistaken. I pulled the codes and they read 55-no malfunction. Maybe the starter??? I don't know... this is all very new to a truck that has always started just fine.

...Battery is dead ? i mean, low battery voltage ?

Edited by Pinip

starter is fawked

really? @!*%. This happened once before, a few years back... but it just fixed itself after a few minutes. Goddammit i hate fixing things. Could it maybe be a fusible link somewhere along the line???

..yes check your starter and see if you don't have one of the bolts broken which would make your starter crooked and jammed...Happen to me once...i put a new bolt on it...otherwise you can always bang it gently with a hammer...sometimes they jam... to start with !!

When I had troubles with mine, showing the same symptoms, it was the clutch in the starter. They have a habit of doing this. It prevents the starter from engaging properly.

..yes check your starter and see if you don't have one of the bolts broken which would make your starter crooked and jammed...Happen to me once...i put a new bolt on it...otherwise you can always bang it gently with a hammer...sometimes they jam... to start with !!

Ok well its pissing rain right now... so i will try giving it a "gentle" beating and see what happens. Never had to change a starter before, it can't be that difficult right?

Ok well its pissing rain right now... so i will try giving it a "gentle" beating and see what happens. Never had to change a starter before, it can't be that difficult right?

check in the General topics...To Garage...How to's... page 2... if ever, you have to do so...

Edited by Pinip

pull your starter and put it on the ground.

Get a set of jumper cables and put it directly to the starter.

if it spins freely and tries to jump and roll over (make sure you hold it really good or put it in a vice)

then its OK, if not.. check your grounds.

Ok well like I said... it's raining like a muther fukker, so i will get to it tomorrow and let you guys know whats up. It seems like the starter is definitely the problem from what i read in the How to thread.

This is such a pain in the ass, all i wanted to do is take my truck to the tire shop so they could swap on my new BFG MT's, and now i have to get all greasy just to drive it a couple blocks. Thanks for all the info guys, i really appreciate it, and like i said before i will update after at stops raining.

This happened to my pathy last week i had to replace the starter. What you can also check are the relays under the hood. but im pretty sure if u said the battery is fully charged and its still doing it then its the starter. try to hit it with a hammer it might help

...Battery is dead ? i mean, low battery voltage ?

No... i thought so at first, so i threw a new battery in and it just clicks louder.

are you sure the other battery is FULLY charged?

it can't be that difficult right?

pita

are you sure the other battery is FULLY charged?

pita

Yes... i just bought it to replace the other battery that i tried to charge, but wouldn't hold any voltage. So i guess that means yes, in a lot more words.

Is it a manual? If so just push the stupid thing and compression start it.

Unfortunately it is an auto

If you are planning to replace it anyway, check a couple failure points first. Lost of clicking indicated bad voltage NOT bad starter. If the starter was bad, the relay would thunk nice and loud and the starter would not work. Make sure your ground to the block is good. The starter used the block to ground itself and if the ground between battery and block is buggered, you won't have sufficient current to run the starter. Second... make sure you have 12V solid at the big post on the starter (big red wire). This should be 12V positive ALWAYS. IF you don't have a good solid 12V, the problem is not the starter. THird... make sure you have a good solid 12V on the trigger wire (to the solenoid on the starter) when the key is turned to start. Disconnect the plug and throw a meter between it and ground (use clips or jumper cables if you need to). Have someone turn the key to start and check the voltage. Fourth... if you want to check the starter only, turn the key to on (run) and hotwire it by disconnecting the solenoid trigger wire and getting a clip lead on the lug ont he starter and hitting 12V directly from the battery + to the clip lead (jumper cables work great but you will need a small lead to get onto the lug on the starter solenoid. If the starter jumps to life, that's not your problem. All this can be done without frucking around taking the starter out. There have been issues with bad connections in the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter. I have a post out there somewhere detailing the issue. And while you are at it, check the battery voltage under load and check it on both the posts and the cables. you may get great voltage when checking the posts but if your connections are weak, the truck will act like the battery is dead.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Well the rain let up a little, and i got all ready to pull the damn thing out... when low and behold the hammer tapping got it goin. Three times in a row with no problem. I will definitely check all that you posted for me k9sar, but for now its off to the tire shop!!!!!! Thanks again for all the input guys, this site is awesome!!!

takes about 20 min to change the starter. and even easier since you have a body lift

twenty minutes my @$$...of course you have a lifted pathy with different parts and everything on it so sure I bet it is easy, mine wouldn't come out worth a damn, took me several hours, damn stock starters. It still had that little oil divert deal, which did no good the thing was still caked in oil from changes and poor work from past owners. But I guess twenty minutes might be plausible without all the mitigating factors I had.

Oh and check your battery, sometimes they get a bad ground at the connection. Also it could be from your signal wire. Mine had been worn through right at the end, and it did the same thing. But like someone already said, check your grounds.

Edited by 94Pathyman

Aint it great when you can "fix" a car with a hammer!!! :deadhorse:

. it's an old trick, when your stock... :hide: i'm sure it works with an F-150 !! :chairfall::hide: :hide:

Edited by Pinip

Aint it great when you can "fix" a car with a hammer!!! :deadhorse:

Bigger problems, bigger hammer!!! i wonder what weight of sledgehammer would be required for a tranny replacement... LOL

And it still seems to be running strong, so i wont be doing any starter changing until i really need to. Which will be soon probably, but if it aint broke (that bad), dont fix it (unless its just with a hammer )

suggestion... the primary thing that goes wrong is that the brushes get worn and the commutator gets fouled by cabon buildup. Once you start experiencing a dead spor ot have time to screw with it, pull the starter out, open it up and brush all the carbon deposits out of the grooves in the commutator. it would be a good idea to go ahead and acquire a new set of brushes for a couple dollars to have them on hand for when you need to do the rebuild. You should get nearly a full lifespan out of a rebuild as you would anew one unless the solenoid craps out or you burn the windings by running it too long trying to start the truck when something else is wrong.

post-85-1241795695_thumb.jpg

Edited by k9sar