Picky picky

Well when you're 2 degrees off, yeah...

And run 87 octane.

I wonder if you're timing belt slipped a tooth...

Edited by Kingman

Well when you're 2 degrees off, yeah...

And run 87 octane.

I wonder if you're timing belt slipped a tooth...

Brand new belt. Had this problem before the new belt as well. It runs better at 10 TDC but will ping under load. I guess I will try 8* which is low. Is this specific to the VG?

You can damage your engine setting the timing too far off.

Did you try advancing it to 15 degrees?

Any particular reason you're running anything more than 87 octane fuel? The VG30Is are designed to run at 12 degrees using 87 octane fuel. Anything more and you're wasting you're money and possibly lowering performance and economy. You can advance the timing to 15 degrees and get better power.

Edited by Kingman

Ok if I am getting a knock at 10* why would I go to 15*? You guys lost me here.

Also to answer your question about 89 octane fuel. It burns slower than 87 which will help eliminate the knock.

X2 The ECU adjusts it a bit on it's own regardless, IIRC.

Sounds to me like you have something else that is causing the issue.

Run the ECU codes yet?

Want to bet it's knock sensor and something else??

B

If you're experiencing detonation with the timing at 10 degrees, then maybe something in the timing train is off a little. Is it possible that the driver's side cam is one tooth off on the timing belt? That would drop back the base timing for the distributor (because it's driven by the DS cam) a little and might cause what you describe. Has the distributor ever been pulled and dropped back in? It'll run with the dizzy one tooth off but it'll be noticeably low on power.

Stock timing for my 88 VG30i is 12 degrees, for the 93 it should be 15 degrees IIRC.

If you're experiencing detonation with the timing at 10 degrees, then maybe something in the timing train is off a little. Is it possible that the driver's side cam is one tooth off on the timing belt? That would drop back the base timing for the distributor (because it's driven by the DS cam) a little and might cause what you describe. Has the distributor ever been pulled and dropped back in? It'll run with the dizzy one tooth off but it'll be noticeably low on power.

Stock timing for my 88 VG30i is 12 degrees, for the 93 it should be 15 degrees IIRC.

Well I just replaced the timing belt and counted teeth both between the cams and the crank so I think its on. Im sure that if I have enough adjustment on the distributor that if I was off on the cam I would have just retarded cam timing and not the ignition timing, provided I had the adjustment there.

Just to confirm, the marks on the crank are 0-5-10-15* BTDC correct?

The pinging is very slight, alot of people would not notice it but I hear it when under load. If I pull back to 5* it goes away. I'm at 10* and it comes back.

I ran 91 octane and it helped the pinging but the truck did not perform as well as with 89. I think 87 with the timing correct would be the best for this low compression engine but I can't seem to get a full 10* out of it even.

Edited by VegasPathfinder

stick with factory timing.. last time someone here was dicking around with timing, it didn't turn out well.
Yes, that was 18 or 20 degrees and it was actually the injectors that failed. I still run 15 instead of 12 but I wont push it any farther for the time being.

X2 The ECU adjusts it a bit on it's own regardless, IIRC.

one of these days I'm a hook up a dwell tach and find out jus how much it ajusts from a set base timing

• 2 months later...

Everything in this thread describes my car to a T and I can't for the life of me figure it out either. I've replaced the plugs with OEM plugs from the dealer and checked over vacuum lines. I've adjusted my timing with a light from 10 to 15 and everything in between. It seems to ping much worse when it's hotter outside. If I run the premium fuel it doesn't seem to ping hardly at all?? I've run injector cleaner as well and put a new air filter in and did and oil change and put the engine restorer stuff in as per another members advice which by the way did help with the noisy lifter.

Any ideas??

-Colby

edit - I've also replaced my O2 sensor recently and put a new high flow cat in as well.

Edited by colbywan