Tailgate door switch?

silver97ex

So I have had this weird thing going on for the past month or so. Whenever I hit a fairly large bump or turn right, my car thinks a door is open. The interior lights go on as does the light on the dash saying there is a door open. I have disconected both front and rear door switches hoping it would stop happening, but it didn't. The only thing I can think of before I dig really deep into the wiring, is the tailgate switch but I can't find it. Not the tire carrier switch but the actual tailgate. Hopefully someone can help me out so I can fix this crap. I know somebody on here has an answer.

Thanks.

there's a wire in the rear hatch that goes to the latch...after I did my swap my cargo lights were staying on all the time...i reached in there and moved that wire around and noticed the lights going on and off so i just unhooked it and no more door ajar light or cargo lights on...I really don't need the lights to come on in the cab when i open the hatch and i didnt feel like trying to adjust anything since the hatch closes better now than the 87 hatch ever did

there's a wire in the rear hatch that goes to the latch...after I did my swap my cargo lights were staying on all the time...i reached in there and moved that wire around and noticed the lights going on and off so i just unhooked it and no more door ajar light or cargo lights on...I really don't need the lights to come on in the cab when i open the hatch and i didnt feel like trying to adjust anything since the hatch closes better now than the 87 hatch ever did

I did the same.

Let me just say you folks are just awesome. New to the Pathfinder and this forum, but have been turning wrenches for 20+ years. I have the same "open door light" issue, now I know where to look to fix it. Thanks.

Now that I am hooked on this forum I promise to pass along anything that I think will help.

Let me just say you folks are just awesome. New to the Pathfinder and this forum, but have been turning wrenches for 20+ years. I have the same "open door light" issue, now I know where to look to fix it. Thanks.

Now that I am hooked on this forum I promise to pass along anything that I think will help.

:welcome:

• 1 month later...
Found the wire that went to the latch, unplugged the connector and all is well. Thanks guys.

Hey, I tried moving the latch around and even added spacers and none of them worked. So I'd like to know how you disconnected the sensor in the rear hatch. Did you remove the interior cover on the rear hatch to gain access to it?

yep remove the cover and i reached in from the right side of center and felt blindly until i grabbed the wire that made the light flicker while i had the door closed...once it did i pulled it off...i could never see it...sometimes while offroading i'll sometimes see the lights flash on which tells me that wire is coming into contact with the old contact (or grounding out) but its never more tahn just a quick flahs and i've only noticed it about 2 or 3 times in the past few months

yep remove the cover and i reached in from the right side of center and felt blindly until i grabbed the wire that made the light flicker while i had the door closed...once it did i pulled it off...i could never see it...sometimes while offroading i'll sometimes see the lights flash on which tells me that wire is coming into contact with the old contact (or grounding out) but its never more tahn just a quick flahs and i've only noticed it about 2 or 3 times in the past few months

It was hot.

It was getting dark.

After fidgiting with the back door pin for 20 minutes i finally just grabbed the wire and disconnected it.

That was 3 months ago.

Maybe I will fix it one day, but I dont miss the light as much as I thought I would. If I ever need it, I can just reach up top and turn it on manually.

I just pulled the plug on mine last night. It completely stopped working and drained my battery. I'm looking into a fix, but I will most likely just drill a hole in the tailgate and install a pin switch. I'll post pics if/when I get to fixing it.

Edited by KovemaN