Knife Thread

beavis0076

I love good knives....

here is what stays in my truck at all times...Bark River Bravo 1, Bark River Personal Survival kit knife (the little one), and a leatherman titanium charge.

If you don't know about the Bravo 1 here is a link... its a cool story :clickdalink:http://jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19889 :clickdalink:http://www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com/...iver-bravo1.php

2374321540104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

And here are some that get to come out on occasion a few more Bark Rivers, Columbia river,Spyderco, Kershaw Ken Onion,Benchmade, and my best Knife... a Randall made knife. :takebow: I didn't have to wait the 3 years it takes after you place your order....EDIT... just looked it up.. the wait is now 4 years!!! !!! Here is a link to Randall made knives. :clickdalink:http://www.randallknives.com/history.php

2472539270104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by beavis0076

I just read the Bravo 1 story after seeing the link in the ash tray thread. I have to say it is a pretty cool story, I love it when a manufacturer listens and works with it's customers that well. I'm definitely going to have to start saving for one now though, make a great addition to my hiking gear. Right now I have a couple of Gerber's basic locking blade and multi-tools; a Smith & Wesson Power Glide :clickdalink:http://www.motherboard.cz/spyderco/smithwesson/SWPG.jpg

And a Benchmade 9050 :clickdalink:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_...aspx?model=9050

My favorite multi-tool by far is the S.O.G. Powerlock S60 :clickdalink:

http://sogknives.com/store/S60.html

I used a lot of Multi-Tools while in the Navy working as an electrician. I did like the Gerber's one handed opening, but the tools were brittle, more broken blades and driver's then anything else I've used. Easy to replace but Gerber didn't support selling individual parts. After a while the pliers function of it wore out as well, not able to get a strong clamping force. I think I went through three Gerber's before getting the S.O.G. It's been great for a general purpose mutil-tool. Strong clamping due to the geared joint, still has easy one-handed opening. There are little steel covers over the blades that fell off fairly easily, meant to give you a flat spot to grip when using them as pliers but I never really had trouble without them. Tools are still easily replaceable and S.O.G. supports replacement parts. My one complaint is the locking mechanism, it has a habit of unlocking depending on how you're holding the knife.

Edited by NavyP503

Yes, they are great knives and def worth it.... if you break it they will issue another one no questions asked. I was lucky enough to get a 1st production run laser etched. :laugh:

as far as multi tools.... I dont really like the leatherman charge I have... but it sems bullet proof, so it orks for now. I have the victorinox multi tool at work and it is nice to use, but only has a sheeps foot knife wich is less than ideal for most cutting situations. I will have to check out the S.O.G. those metal covers look like they would keep the tool from digging into your hand when applying alot of pressure on the pliers.

You have good taste in knives, Benchmade is a great knife!

Randalls are great military knives too, made famous during the Vietnam era, here is a quote about them fromanother site. "Randall Made knives are among the most sought-after knives for collectors, or simply for those who will settle for nothing but the best. Each Randall Made knife has been thoroughly field-tested and has proven to be properly shaped and designed for its particular use. "

My next purchase is the Bark River Golok... it is awesome and would be great at camp or on the trail.

Edited by beavis0076

Why does GG's post remind me of this...

" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

They're all so little....

Now I have to go get all of mine out and take a picture for you guys..... :wacko:

Well, now you have peaked my intrest... lets see em' :popcorn:

Why does GG's post remind me of this...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

LMAO!!!!! :laugh:

I have a few. Most of mine got stolen (the irony). Remainng three are a Gerber, a shark (i think) and a good old fun times butterfly knife (single edged, looking for double).

I have a Schrade 3" clip point folding knife that I keep stuck to the edge of my pocket most of the time. Used to have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, one day I dropped it from waist height onto asphalt and chipped a good quarter inch off the tip. It wasn't much use in everyday life anyway, but it was a cool-ass knife! I used to carry a Gerber Multi-plier everywhere in a belt pouch, went through about four or five of 'em before I quit carrying it. Damn blades and attachments kept breaking on me too. I broke probably four of those things simply using the pliers, too. :( One jaw would break off and voila, useless Multi-plier. I still have two Multi-pliers, they just get used when I need pliers, heh.

I used to get catalogs from Smoky Mountain Knife Works...the world's largest cheap knife retailer, lol.

Oh yeah! My favorite knife ever is the out of production Kershaw Blue Mountain (I think) double folder with a locking clip point and a folding sheepsfoot blade. I dropped over $100 on this thing probably 10 years ago and it still cuts paper like a razor blade. :D

i have a Charge TTi Leatherman, like the one pictured in the first post.

i have too many other knives to list, and most aren't that special anyway. i keep a Leatherman Steens (S30V hunting knife with gut hook and bone saw) in my Pathy. on my person, i usually have my 'gentleman's knife,' a Kershaw Nakamura with a VG10-clad blade.

steens-diagram.jpg

nakamura_folder.jpg

i don't recommend the Steens as a hunting knife, btw. it's got a great blade and great features, but it is effectively a folder and that makes it really difficult to clean after a good blood bath.

I used to get catalogs from Smoky Mountain Knife Works...the world's largest cheap knife retailer, lol.

Me too, bought most of my Hibben knives through them. I went to the actual store 2 years ago when I went to Gatlinburg, huge place.

Me too, bought most of my Hibben knives through them. I went to the actual store 2 years ago when I went to Gatlinburg, huge place.

Yes, I have been there many times.. great place! My dad bought me my first sheath knife there when I was a kid.... got it confiscated at school.... would have been arrested these days. I got caught throwing it into the back of the classroom door.... :shiftyeyes:

Greg.... where are these BIG knives????

..so you never tried Opinel ? Innus use it to cut up a whole caribou... simplest knife in the world... but the most effective for the price...

Opinel[/url] :clickdalink:

Edited by Pinip

Dude, those are f'ing daggers and swords...bad ass.

Yep, only about half of my collection. I have sharp pointy things in every room in my house, anyone brakes into my place, they are leaving in pieces.

Greg,

I like em' :popcorn:

alexrex20 very nice kershaw! I like the class. :takebow:

I have been inspired to take some close ups of my finest.

some of my Bark river knives. Notice the Pins. The little one is the KNIFE FORUM knife of the year.

2485845690104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

2649888430104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

2082907710104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

and this is my Randal made knife, my pride and joy. it is a 4 year wait to get one if you order it now. :chairfall: This is a carbon steel blade, so I stained it to prevent corrosion. I used balsamic vinegar and a paper towel. The Bark rivers are carbon steel blades too.. I havn't stained most of them yet.

2625179080104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

Bark river snowy river , stainless.

2477670380104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

Another Bark river.. ( I am a fan if you cant tell.. they are great affordable handmade knives) I call this one " My Hammer" it is ugly.. but highly visable and a beast.. look at the thickness in the 2nd pic. I use this knife hard... it is often passed around the capmsite.. or left lying out at night... it is used and it shows it... but is razor sharp.... it is close in gerth to my Bravo 1. :ar15:

2651904320104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

2633153270104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

I like this little Benchmade. It is the Backpacker Magazine 06 knife of the year. It is very light, VERY sharp and very strong. It is the BLACK CLASS which is Benchmade's best steel/ quality. :happy:

2296375180104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

this is the ugliest and most useful, best knife I have... a Spyderco I love it.

2993721190104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by beavis0076

..so you never tried Opinel ? Innus use it to cut up a whole caribou... simplest knife in the world... but the most effective for the price...

Opinel[/url] :clickdalink:

Hmm,,, I have seen these before but you made me take a 2nd look. I like them. I did a little reading on them... I think i must have one! :sssh:

• 3 months later...

I did a "forced patina" on my Bravo 1 ... I liked how it turned out with the tigerstripping Thought I would share for the Knife people. :takebow:

here it is before

2169972450104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

And after the forced patina

2023521370104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

2088820540104806154S600x600Q85.jpg

I have a Kershaw Ken Onion clipped to my pocket right now (always for that matter). I've owned knives from Gerber, CRKW, Old Timer, Schrade and Boker and the Kershaw is my favorite by far. For a semi-assisted folder the Onion is the best I've ever carried. My second favorite would have to be the Gerber Gator. My Boker ceramic folder broke. When camping I carry the Onion and a Gerber Multi-Tool.

• 9 months later...

You asked for pics, so here you go, some of these are old dirty POS's that I got when I was very young, my favorites are the Spyderco, Emerson, Kershaw, I like name brand knives mostly although I have some cheap copies of more expensive knives like the copy of the Microtech Halo OTF, and the all plastic assisted opening knife is pretty cool supposed to be metal detector proof , don't want to try it !!:

2w56c5x.jpg

28l3ret.jpg

2edv6v6.jpg

1eqpv7.jpg

f1mw5.jpg

125rvoi.jpg

25r1c2x.jpg

4iofop.jpg