AC lift without camber bolts

jimmycapp

Has anyone had theres aligned without the bolts, and were they able to get the camber right?

Also, rear coils, did you need to open the brake line, to get it out of the bracket, to get the axel low enough to remove the springs?

Thanks,

James

I had to use 2 camber alignment bolts per side to get it right. Now that the springs have settled I could probably get away with 1 per side. I have read that some people just enlarge the holes to allow for adjustment, but I am not sure how well that works or how well that holds adjustment. As for the rear springs, it was easy to remove the stock weak springs but a little more tricky to install new ac springs. To install them I took the bumpstop off and installed springs with the bump stop just sitting inside the spring. After the spring was installed i wiggled a ratchet and extension through the spring and reattached the bumpstop. Some people just leave the bumpstop off. I did not have to undo any brake lines or anything else.

Edited by keelhaul

Ditto to Keelhaul's post. You could probably get away with one set of bolts per side. When I had my tires rotated last fall, the mechanic kept both sets installed but mentioned changing to one set with the coils settles wouldn't change anything.

As for the rear coils, same thing as Keelhaul. I kept my bumpstops installed, too. :aok:

• 1 month later...

I just had my AC lift installed. No camber bolts. Both 255s and 235s (which are a good 10 MM NARROWER than stock) have serious positive camber issues. The bolts are clearly critical. I'm going to have to take it back to the shop which put the 235s on. I don't get how they didn't check it. Guy even said,"You know it's creaking a bit ?" Yeah, it's creaking 'cause it's OFF CAMBER and there are no WHEEL SPACERS. *sigh* I was a in rush so I didn't stop to think about or check. Figured they were professionals. Yeah... Right...

Incidentally, had an alignment done at Pep Boys and that didn't help the rub issue. This seems like one of the things where you'll have to tell the mechanic what to look for instead of him figuring it out or being professional and checking his work.

Some people just leave the bumpstop off.

im sorry - come again?? is it ok to drive around without em?!?!

cause the bolt snapped on one of mine so i havent wheeled it.......

tires have nothing to do with camber. neither do wheel spacers. but you obviously know what you're talking about.

My point simply was that the guy should have been tipped off and done a professional job and that camber matters. That I started grumbling a bit is admittedly besides the point.

And grow up. Adults don't spend their time insulting folks on bulletin boards; they try to be helpful. If you can't be civil, don't bother saying anything.

Edited by GoPathyGo

And grow up. Adults don't spend their time insulting folks on bulletin boards; they try to be helpful. If you can't be civil, don't bother saying anything.

I like that rule. Well said! :aok:

I have a question. You have 235's and positive camber, and it rubs??? Whats going on with your vehicle?

An excellent question! When I got back home and saw what was going on I was like," ???? ". Going back to the shop this am.

you're absolutely correct! i should get all huffy puffy about something i know nothing about, and post useless and incorrect information when someone asks for advice. that would have been very helpful.

oh, wait... :scratchhead:

Forget it, kid. I had noticed your attitude earlier, but you had what seemed to be some interesting points so I still read 'em. This kind of immature personal attack confirms I should just skip your posts. Fortunately, for every person like you, there are dozens of mature, helpful folks on here - including many much younger than you. You keep doing your thing and feeling puffy.

:wub: Cheers and have a great day. :wub:

Edited by GoPathyGo

You should install camber bolts anyways, because if you've got it apart, it's not a big deal to put them in. If you don't, put it all together, then try to align it, find out you need them, you have to take all the alignment stuff off, take the front end apart, and put them in anyways. You might as well have put them in the first place to save the agravation.

My rears were very tricky to install.

I did it without removing the bumpstops.

I disconnected the rear shocks, and the rear swaybar. The swaybar gave me another 2-3 inches of drop.

The rear flex hose was at it's max droop, any more and it would have torn the hose. If I had disconnected the hose I probably could have gotten a little more room, but I didn't want to chance breaking bolts or lines.

I ended up having to compress my rear springs, and then installing them compressed, then releasing them once they were in place.

Damn guys lets chill out, argue in PM's.

My 97 only needed one set of camber bolts, but my 01 with the same exact struts and all that is visibly still positive, so I will be getting a second set for them. I would buy at least one set while doing it, if you are the very rare one who does not need it I am sure someone on the board will scoop it up for at least half what you paid.

Damn guys lets chill out, argue in PM's.

My 97 only needed one set of camber bolts, but my 01 with the same exact struts and all that is visibly still positive, so I will be getting a second set for them. I would buy at least one set while doing it, if you are the very rare one who does not need it I am sure someone on the board will scoop it up for at least half what you paid.

well, on my 01, i got away with 1 set. this thing looks very unpredictable to me...

hahaha @ this thread

but seriously.... 235's rubbing?? that makes no sense

Maybe they're 235/85R16's? They might rub, especially if the wheel doesn't have the proper offset.

Ohhhh...well that makes sense that they would rub. Those are pretty tall (and skinny!).

So...get cam bolts. Bottom line. End of discussion and baby babbering.

:ar15::hugs:

Ohhhh...well that makes sense that they would rub. Those are pretty tall (and skinny!).

So...get cam bolts. Bottom line. End of discussion and baby babbering.

:ar15::hugs:

Nice! That's impressive considering you guys are doing the diagnosis remote control.

Took 'em back to the shop, all hot and bothered.

Manager and I looked at the positive camber, heard the rubbing and were like,"Huh ?"

Called out the tech.

Apparently, the combo was a bit wide for comfort. So, to compensate for things, the tech unilaterally decided to put in positive camber "to make them fit". :rofl: But that only goes so far - it still rubbed on turns. But since "he was afraid of upsetting the customer", he didn't tell anyone - leaving me to wonder why I had the only truck on the planet with positive camber, rubbing, creaking and really crummy fit and handling. :rofl:

Fortunately, there are easy fixes for this problem. Wheels with more accommodating backspacing or spacers. I'm doing a cost-benefit on spacers vs el cheapo ebay special steelies/used right now.

Cheers,

J.

Edited by GoPathyGo

If you like the wheels, go with spacers...I run my Xterra S/C rims with 1.5" adapters and love em!

Cool. Just ordered a pair from Rugged Rocks. Can't wait. Right now, between a vacuum pump problem and this rubbing, Armadillo can only move at 40 mph in a straight line... :rofl: I couldn't pass a goat, let alone a car right now.