WD21 Pathfinders on the top 5 list

dhardison

You may be aware that I recently posted some stuff about my new 370z in this forum. But this post is really about the back-story to my car crazy life. So I’ll start by saying it’s great to have a new car but there really is no magic there. Just buy an 03 Z, keep it for almost 6 years and trade it on a new one. I’ve said for years if you have to have a new car as a daily driver it might as well be a Nissan.

The thing is I’m more proud of my WD21 Pathfinder than a showroom full of new Z’s. All that time I spent searching for a good 90’s pathfinder. Even buying one and finding one better so I bought it too and selling the one I liked the least. Hard to put it into words but the Pathy means as much to me as some guy’s 69 Camaro or something like that.

I got my issue of Nissan Sport mag in the mail today and they had an article called “top Nissan/Datsuns of all time" and finding out that the WD21 Pathy’s made the top 5 list of best Nissan SUV/Crossovers ever. It means more to me to know my trucks on that list than all the accolades and hyperbole the auto mags are going to spew out about the new Z for the rest of the year.

I love nissan i would neve buy anything different. I got my z and liked it so much i wanted a nother nissan and got POS pathy for 500 and ever since really like it and finaly fixed it up and it finally died i got 4 years out if so i just bought my nicer black one for 3500. I am yet to ride in a suv i have liked more then my pathy. only complaint is i wish it was faster lol.

Can you scan and post that page? That's awesome!

If it was up to me I would scan the whole article as a pdf but I think the copyright enforcers would be all over me. About the best I can do is attach a picture of the cover and a link to their website. The article is actually called Ranked! The 51 Best (And Worst) Nissan, Datsun, and Infiniti Vehicles Ever Sold in the US. The vehicles were ranked on design, performance, and historical significance

The Lists were:

Top 10 Sports Cars

Top 5 Trucks

Top 10 Sedans/Coupes

Top 5 SUVS/Crossovers

1. 03-07 Murrano

2. 00-04 Xterra

3. 86.5-95 Pathfinder

4. 62-69 Patrol

5. 03-08 Infiniti FX

Best and the Worst of the Rest

Here is a quote from the Pathfinder caption "In an era before an avalanche of SUV's struck, North American consumers knew they were getting a solid deal with the Pathfinder.

So you see it's not a "the 90 Pathfinder is better than another year Pathfinder" kind of list. It's more of a vehicles that changed the scope of Nissan for the better list.

Nissan Infiniti Datsun Sport

nscover.jpg

Edited by dhardison

yeah no guff, you can't compare crossovers and real suv's together. wd21 should be ranked over the xterra and the r50 should be in there somewhere too.

OK, I just lost my breakfast, Murrano #1, what kind of jack-ass-idiot created that list.

Chill GrimGreg, I didn't want people to start taking this whole thing out of context without seeing the complete article. It's the historical significance, design, performance thing as a whole. The Murrano probably did do more to launch Nissan crossover sales and kick but againist it's other manufacturer competition than any other 4 wheel drive crossover during that time frame. It's one of the reasons Nissan's not bankrupt today. A little French maybe but not bankrupt. I repeat this was not a one-on-one comparison list against Nissan vehicles.

Edited by dhardison

The Murrano and Rogue are pretty good vehicles to be honest... good for your "never really see off-road but need a vehicle able to handle it just in case" kind of guy :)

What surprises me is that the Desiel Terrano isn't in there 0o'

Edited by Kittamaru

I Found my '95 SE on EBAY and won it for $720! I just needed a car and not the payments. It just said "4WD Pathfinder-Fully Functional- NO RESERVE. I had the $$, I just had to go get it, in Boston. I'm in Michigan, so I used some Frequent Flyer miles and had to pay $5 tax. When I touched down in Boston I had to pay 2$ more for a train ride and transferd once. I had Proof of insurace already, and I walked about 5 blocks from the train station to the sellers office. I had a copy of the title and did my own walk around and it did have some body rust just starting. Turns out that the seller had maintained it very well under the hood. I took it for a drive, and I dug it!. New Tires, clean inside, sun roof. Just a couple of quirks, passanger window can go down but not up from the drivers side and the Factory Fog lights didn't turn on, little things, but it ran and drove great! It had just under 150000 miles on it. He showed me all about how to engage the 4wd, and disengage the auto hubs. I had about 850miles to drive, the DMV in Mass didn't recognize Michigan Insurrance! They told me that they didn't have anything like a TEMPORARY PLATE, and that I had to get full MASS Insurrace and a MASS plate that could cost me a lot more $$$. After a little bit of thought I borrowed a Marker and made a sign,"Vehicle In Transit", taped it to the inside of my back window, I sat in the drivers seat and told her--"OK Little Sister, You Take CARE of me and I'll Take of YOU"-- And drove ALL the way home with all the paper work in the glove box. The Seller wished me well and called now and then to make sure I was OK, I just set the cruse at the SPEED LIMIT and tried not to attract attention,Toll Booth after Toll Booth and nobody said a thing! About 2:30am just outside Yongstown OHIO I pulled over and Crashed. A OHIO STATE TROOPER (who mostly go by the 3C's-Cash-Credit Card-or Come With ME-)Woke me up knockin' on my window asking "Where's You PLate BOY?", in the dark I rolled down the window and told him about those MEAN PEOPLE at Boston DMV, and showed him my paper work. He just looked at me and gave me his bosses number and said he wouldn't impound my Car. He said I could sit in the Rest Area for more than just the normal 2hrs allowed. It was just about 3am, I had almost 250miles to go. I called his boss and 1st thanked him for not putting me (a Michigan Man) in jail, and I told him the whole story. He gave me 3 options, call my wife, trailer it or tow it, or...it's about 3am,"Go FOR IT AND I'll DO MY BEST TO MAKE SURE YOU MAKE IT". I felt like I just won the lotto! I lit it up and down the road to the Michigan border I went. The last time I had a 4wd anything was back in '78. Since I got my Pathfinder I have been in some BIG snow just fighting traffic to get to work, last blizzard I was in I had 2wd on at 70mph in the UNPLOWED left lane just ripping around Dodge RAMs and Big Chevys Spining out trying to play Race Car with me. My '95 Pathfinder and me get along like Hot Butter on Popcorn! Best gamble I ever made, and She is PAID FOR! Total cost: $5 tax for the Frequent Flyer miles used, 2$ train Ride, and $720 for my Pathfinder! total Cost---$727.00--That's why I Love My 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 4WD!-GOD BLESS THE OHIO STATE POLICE!