rear speaker relocation ?

beastpath

For the rears on the 93+ (in headliner) they added sheet metal under the headliner to mount the speakers up there. Just an FYI you would need more than just the headliner. As for the rear pillars there is some sheet metal behind the plastic.

For the rears on the 93+ (in headliner) they added sheet metal under the headliner to mount the speakers up there. Just an FYI you would need more than just the headliner. As for the rear pillars there is some sheet metal behind the plastic.

ah..thanks greg

I'm about to install new sound and have been pondering this too. What I want to do is move the speakers from their top of the wheel well position to the ceiling around the rear seats. My thinking being to leave the rear cargo area as open as possible. Obviously will take some custom boxes and have to figure out how to blend it in with my headliner.

To me the rear door location is no good since I'll probably have gear piled in front of it most of the time. I will check out the rear pillar idea though next time I walk out there (I had just logged on to start researching speaker wire routing).

I'm not worried about having the speakers deafen passengers as I will rarely have anyone back there. My main goal is to clear out the cargo area (I'm sure I'm going to break those factory rear boxes sooner rather than later) and get my rear speakers in a better position for me to hear them while keeping them clear from all the garbage and dogs I haul around.

As a further thought, chopping up those factory boxes might be a quick way to mock up what I want to do.....

Got all my new stereo stuff in hand and now that the evil timing belt job is done I'm quite ready to do a "fun" project with the Pathy.

Rob

sweet, I was going to ask, but thought your parts truck had been taken away

ha yeah my freind came and took it he also has a 89 he picked up for 100 bucks and mine now. I think hes going to gut the interior so we will see. Ill see if hes willing to part with the headliner for you though

I was at the local pick n pull yesterday and saw two trucks with the rear headliner speaker setup. The headliner was ripped off both trucks. I looked it over pretty carfully and it looks like the sheet meta is a bolt in peice. Not sure if it will bolt in or how hard it would be to bolt in a truck that did not have it. I would have picked one up if i had found one with a good headliner.

It is on my radar next time I go to pick n pull (today if the weather cooperates)

Mark

I'm about to install new sound and have been pondering this too. What I want to do is move the speakers from their top of the wheel well position to the ceiling around the rear seats. My thinking being to leave the rear cargo area as open as possible. Obviously will take some custom boxes and have to figure out how to blend it in with my headliner.

To me the rear door location is no good since I'll probably have gear piled in front of it most of the time. I will check out the rear pillar idea though next time I walk out there (I had just logged on to start researching speaker wire routing).

I'm not worried about having the speakers deafen passengers as I will rarely have anyone back there. My main goal is to clear out the cargo area (I'm sure I'm going to break those factory rear boxes sooner rather than later) and get my rear speakers in a better position for me to hear them while keeping them clear from all the garbage and dogs I haul around.

As a further thought, chopping up those factory boxes might be a quick way to mock up what I want to do.....

Got all my new stereo stuff in hand and now that the evil timing belt job is done I'm quite ready to do a "fun" project with the Pathy.

Rob

ha, i already broke one of the boxes.

im seriously considering putting them in my rear pillars as shouldnt have to extend the speaker wires that much. however, if i did this i think i would put some mids in the rear doors too in order to avoid lack of sound when gear is back there.

still considering the headliner tho.

I was at the local pick n pull yesterday and saw two trucks with the rear headliner speaker setup. The headliner was ripped off both trucks. I looked it over pretty carfully and it looks like the sheet meta is a bolt in peice. Not sure if it will bolt in or how hard it would be to bolt in a truck that did not have it. I would have picked one up if i had found one with a good headliner.

It is on my radar next time I go to pick n pull (today if the weather cooperates)

Mark

Could be like the map lights. My 93 didn't have them, but the place to bolt the bracket and the wiring for them was hidden above my headliner. However, when I took the headliner out of my 88 there was no mount pre-existing to mount the metal bracket to, so I gave up on that upgrade on the 88.

Even if you have to add mount points, if it is bolt on, it should be fairly simple to just unbolt from th donor and figure a way to rig it in place on your's.

• 5 months later...
was raining so I decided not to tear one apart that day. There was a couple out there though.

Oh well Next time.

Dude, my daily driver which i use for work has a slipping tranny, actually that is the reason why my wife bought me the Pathy, from the mechanic so we can have a second vehicle. I have not picked up the Pathy (as I state on every post) since I don't get it until it's paid off (plus part of uspaying for it she is changing the timing belt, even though she did it not long ago, changing the water pump, spark plugs, recharge the air conditioning, oil change, etc etc.

Anyway i am leery of driving the Honda Pilot with the slipping tranny ovet the altamont to Manteca or over the Santa Cruz mountains or up north to Santa Rosa / Petaluma but once I get the Pathy (now it is early August) I want to drive toyour spot and try that winch bumper combo you got and go to some junkyards.... i want a 95 maplight... NO idead why but I am sure it will help. I also want to have a go at those rear speaker head liners and housings... I am sure eventually I would want to get some other things my truck does not have ...

I like customizing and updating my vehicles, for comfort and safety My 98 Jeep TJ Wrangler ended up (before I sold it) with a 2006 soft top (quieter, more durable, has a flip up roof) had 06 mirrors, (lighter, better field of view) had the MOPAR stereo out of an avenger (cd cassette and eq).... had aftermarket window sliders to match the 06 material cloth...changed the headlights to round healights that take those h3 bulbs etc...

so not to get off topic but soon I want to go to a junkyard with you guys and even if I don't buy i want to watch and learn the sublte differences in the model years from our vehicles.