Just finished my AC lift - topping out question...

willray80

Hi everyone, I have really enjoyed reading everyone's contributions to this forum. I have been reading for months now looking for a solution for my shot out springs on a 2004 SE 4x4. I finally decided to do the AC lift and I love the strength of the new springs (although it was scary getting them on). Now when I load up the car with camping or scuba gear it doesn't ride on the bump stops like it did before. I have tons more clearance. I think my springs were sagging so bad my height was negative an inch or two to stock, when I put the lift on it looked like a 4 inch lift! I also needed new tires for off roading and thanks to all the info here on size, width, backspacing, etc... I was able to get Discount Tire to put BFG 31" on 15x8 steel rims. (they didn't want to put anything less than 16 rims on) I know that this post is worthless without pics so I will try to get some soon.

My car is done now, it is just the way I want it except for one thing that is still bugging me, topping out...

I am topping out over everything, tiny speed bumps, uneven pavement, the smallest potholes, etc. Is everyone having this problem? The lift is only about 2 weeks old, will it settle down? It is very loud and violent when I get a big one, it sounds like it is really messing up the car. Do I need to worry about this? Did I do something wrong? I also put on the locking hubs, wow what a difference! Steering just feels free and easy, and the truck seems to roll easier and may be a bit quieter.

Thanks again for all the great info on this site.

Congrats on the liftage :D , I also just installed my lift about a month ago, and yoou will get used to the topping out, you come to expect it actually, and I doubt that anything bad is happening to your truck. And get those pics up ASAP we all want to see :jig:

Hey congrats! Yes, some pics would be nice. I'm still working on the details on getting mine lifted (someone here knows what I'm talking about). Topping out, huh? Like when the struts reach their full length?

Oh I know all about yours silverpathy. Your posts helped me decide what to get. How is the subframe drop coming? I got a price from nissandoms47. I'm just waiting to see if the AC lift does everything I need or If I want more. I really like the way she looks now, I promise pictures soon.

Topping out, huh? Like when the struts reach their full length?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what is happening, unless I put the strut mount together wrong or something...

when you hit a bump it compresses fine, but when the wheel goes down the other side of the bump and the strut extends fully it goes BANG!

To others who have this lift: Does the topping out happen a lot on trails and dirt roads? I haven't gotten a chance to leave the pavement yet. Hopefully I will get to do some wheeling this weekend in the local mountains (so cal).

To others who have this lift: Does the topping out happen a lot on trails and dirt roads? I haven't gotten a chance to leave the pavement yet. Hopefully I will get to do some wheeling this weekend in the local mountains (so cal).

Yep, it's pretty common. You'll grow accustomed to it, though it should reduce in its severity over the next few months as the springs settle.

Oh I know all about yours silverpathy. Your posts helped me decide what to get. How is the subframe drop coming? I got a price from nissandoms47. I'm just waiting to see if the AC lift does everything I need or If I want more. I really like the way she looks now, I promise pictures soon.

Thanks dude I have used the lift at a off road meet and it kept up with many chevys that had 6 inch lifts :new576: It amazing what 2 inches will do for you offroad. The only thing that kept me from doing alot off stuff was my crappy street tires- Michilin Cross Terrains. But yeah I still havent gotten the Sub Frame Drop from Alex yet, but im back at college and I dont have time to put it on untill summer :ar15: But once that goes on so are new steel wheels and 33 inch KM2's so im excited :dance:

The struts topping out will be pretty much commonplace as long as your rig is lifted. It's not so much as it just sounds nasty but you will get used to it over time.

As for the topping out issue itself, I've been told there is a solution: limiting straps. My knowledge is still limited, though. :doh:

As for the topping out issue itself, I've been told there is a solution: limiting straps. My knowledge is still limited, though. :doh:

I had a dog & his name was Bingo! Alex is using straps on the black R50, I think but its more for wear & tear on the CV's though (could be wrong though).

I had a dog & his name was Bingo! Alex is using straps on the black R50, I think but its more for wear & tear on the CV's though (could be wrong though).

Yes this is true that he uses limiting straps and i dont see how that could possibly be more wear on the CV's if anything it should be better for them because the struts are not topping out and banging around

here is a pic

r50susfront.jpg

Yes this is true that he uses limiting straps and i dont see how that could possibly be more wear on the CV's if anything it should be better for them because the struts are not topping out and banging around

here is a pic

r50susfront.jpg

wtf is the secondary shock for?

i'm going to at least try without front sways once i get the new struts/coils. i'll just run them with the end links disconnected. if i don't like it, i'll connect them. if it's not too bad, i'll remove the sway completely.

Yep, it's pretty common. You'll grow accustomed to it, though it should reduce in its severity over the next few months as the springs settle.

Hell when I hear mine top out its almost like music to my ears now. You get really used to after a while, but don't worry its not f*cking anything up.

for the first 2 months mine topped out over everything and now it rarely tops out.

Thanks guys! Sounds like it will get better and I'm sure I'll get used to it. I love this Nissan. It's the first time I have run anything other than stock on any car I have ever owned.

So I'm taking my Pathfinder back to Firestone today, I did the lifetime alignment on Wed and gave them the camber bolts to put in. The tech didn't even look at the bolts which were sitting on the passenger seat. He looked at the struts and told the manager "these need to be heavily modified to adjust camber, bolt's won't do anything." I showed the manager the bolts (for some reason they wouldn't let me talk to the tech, I think he didn't speak english) and showed him how they work and he said they would install one bolt on each side for $118! I took the car home and installed the bolts myself. I didn't adjust them perfect, so I'm having them do it because I paid for lifetime alignment. I'm going to keep coming back until they get it right.

• 1 month later...

I just finished my ac/kyb install 20minutes ago. I noticed while lowering the jack, the suspension did not sag at all with the weight of the vehicle. So the struts are topped out just sitting there. Is that normal? It feels stiff as hell.

Thanks,

James

Young sir, you have much to learn...haha, just kidding. Well, if you just put them on, then you must wait for them to settle down. May take a couple weeks to get it, but they will. Thats for any new suspension.

Jose

I just finished my ac/kyb install 20minutes ago. I noticed while lowering the jack, the suspension did not sag at all with the weight of the vehicle. So the struts are topped out just sitting there. Is that normal? It feels stiff as hell.

Thanks,

James

X2 on what Jose said, mine do the same but they are slowly getting better...