what kind of safari rack do you have?

pathy689

what brand of safari rack do you have?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. what brand of safari rack do you have?

• surco
    • yakima
    • thule
    • other, if so explain

I'm one of the Others... I have a Garvin Wilderness Accessories rack; its solid and sturdy and they sell adapters so you can use Yakima/Thule bars and ski/bike racks and so forth on top of the cargo rack itself...

I had the surco and ended up selling it to Jim ... I liked it and it served its purpose well ... however, if you want something that can handle a lot of weight, go with the yakima ... it is A LOT better constructed, so far as the floor is concerned, and you will not get the rattles that I experienced with the Surco rack ...

If you can get a spare tire carrier for the rear I think that might be a better idea; sure beats having to haul your tire on and off the roof whenever you need to change it. ;) You also kinda lose most of the cargo space on your roof if a tire's up there. As far as something thats designed to hold it, I know the Garvin rack has a bracket and tiedown system for a spare tire, but I think its a ripoff; I'm sure no matter what rack you decide to get you could fabricate / have someone fabricate a spare tire mount.

• 8 months later...

I'm building my own at the moment. It's been constructed of 3rd world building materials. See if you can guess what it is :idea:. It should be done within the next few days. I dunno about throwing a spare ontop of it, but it sure will hold all my camping and fishing crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Yakima rack and it is rock solid, no rattling at all.

Their gear baskets hold a 35" tire and look pretty beefy.

eBay usually has some good deals, the stuff is ridiculously expensive brand new.

Edited by madhatter_xe

• 10 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's to resurrecting a thread... N I know "strong first post", but this thread is useless without pictures... Sure you can look at generic ad shots, but seeing it on a pathy is so much better then having to envision it.

• 1 month later...

I agree. We need pics. I'm about ready buy one myself. I'm looking for a rack more 3/4 length of roof. Something with a light bar or 4 3x3 led pods. I'd like to see what people are using for their WD21. So far the nicest low profile one seems to be the Rola vortex with 18" extension.