Coolant Flush

92Pathmaker

Is there another plug besides the one on the driver side bottom of the radiator. With the cap off I tried draining through that one and got about 12oz of coolant after 15 min. I'm not sure if I am missing something or if something is plugged up. I've tried searching everywhere and all I can find is directions saying to drain the coolant, no pictures. Thanks for any advice in advance.

you should have gotten more than 12oz from the radiator...

There are also 2 block plugs, one should be behind the alternator and the other should be behind the PS Pump.

Don't forget to move your heater to hot so the heater core gets drained too.(do this with ignition "on" for electronic models)

hope that helpled.

I thought that there would be one on the block, I just didn't know where to look. I'll go try to find those. Thanks. Is it important to use distilled water instead of tap water. Will the minerals build up or something?

Is there any trick for collecting the coolant from the plug behind the alternator? It is a very interesting place to put a drain plug. I got the rest of the anti-freeze out it just ended up all over the place.

there should be a little hose attached to that drain valve. Mine has one.

There are NO HOSES on the ENGINE BLOCK PLUGS only on the radiator plug. but shoving a piece of vaccum line in there quick might give it some direction.

Edited by MY1PATH

Clamp the lower hose with something (not vice grips, as the teeth can damage the hose) then take it off the rad. Stick it in a bucket, then unclamp it.

Clamp the lower hose with something (not vice grips, as the teeth can damage the hose) then take it off the rad. Stick it in a bucket, then unclamp it.

Go to home depot and get a cement mixing pan. I got one that is large enough to almost covers the entire front end of the truck. Then just pour it into suitable contain for recycling (using a funnel). It works great for all kinds of fluids when your not sure where it is going to run off of.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/35-175...aign=googlebase

Mark

Edited by msavides

:scratchhead: Why didn't you do the flush when you replaced them? :shrug:

Well, I had the w'pump, tensioner, t-stat, and all hoses replaced at the same time. Then my t-stat was sticking open so I replaced that myself and didn't use the correct/enough of the liquid gasket so it wanted to leak. So yesterday I pulled it all apart again to fix the leak. The drivers side drain plug didn't want to move, I got the passenger side out so I just drained that....and made a decent sized mess but its all good. So far, no leaks :aok: