STOLEN!

Skwerlb8

Hey all.. just want to put the word out that my Pathy has been stolen. Happened sometime on the night of the 26th, from my parking lot. I shouldn't really be surprised..i live in Surrey. I am, however, seriously pissed.

If i knew how, i'd toss up a pic..however there is one that can be found in the DEC 07 TOTM thread, #7.

IF someone happens to spot the truck please call 911 and report it. Thanks

There is a special place in hell for car theives.

:skull::skull::skull:

I hope so..they deserve something special!

In any case..truck has been recovered..its in the shop now. Bushbar, spare tire and spoiler are gone.

Some interior damage.. front end is toasted. Windshield smashed. Contents were stolen..including my sons booster seat! WTF?!?!?!

Going to take some time to get it back up to good shape again...but i got my buddy back! :)

• 7 months later...
I hope so..they deserve something special!

In any case..truck has been recovered..its in the shop now. Bushbar, spare tire and spoiler are gone.

Some interior damage.. front end is toasted. Windshield smashed. Contents were stolen..including my sons booster seat! WTF?!?!?!

Going to take some time to get it back up to good shape again...but i got my buddy back! :)

Good! Would guess that the child booster seat was in the way and in order to create more room, the thieves threw it out.

Did you install an ignition immobilizer after this experience?

Old pathies are extremely easy to open with approximate key sets according to one Vancouver police officer I talked to after ours was stolen in summer 2007.

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Should check out this sub-forum more often. :)

Would like to notify/remind young guys buying old pathfinders for the first time that the older, beaten up condition of their vehicle offers zero protection against thieves. An ignition immobilizer (circa $200) and/or a kill switch along with a steering column lock are required. Vehicle theft here in British Columbia is still a hand slap.

wow..havent been in here fer a bit. took a lot of work..but the truck is back up to par. Not gonna replace the bushbar. All is well :) And yes..its more secure now. Expensive lesson..but one ill not forget..ever.

Are you kidding?? do the cops ever catch the thievin bastages?? Hell..My wife and i did more to recover my truck than they did. I even had it out of the towing yard and repaired before the cops called to tell me it had been found!!

WTF?? How does that happen??

I'm fixing up my WD21 and part of the plan is the factory alarm, an aftermarket alarm in addition and an imobilizer. We shall see how much full coverage is also.

Overkill?? Maybe, but I'll be damned after all the work I have done that I make it easy for anyone to steal and if it does happen, I want $ for it!!

B

Are you kidding?? do the cops ever catch the thievin bastages?? Hell..My wife and i did more to recover my truck than they did. I even had it out of the towing yard and repaired before the cops called to tell me it had been found!!

Ours was stolen July 2007 right outside the Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) store in downtown Vancouver in the early afternoon. It was towed a week later from where it had been illegally parked. The towing company provided the information for the police report. The thieves had left a packing slip in the vehicle with name and address (Whistler, BC). I forwarded that information but the Vancouver police department never followed up.

Our government-owned insurance company--ICBC--kept the vehicle for over a week despite the lack of damage--because ICBC was having personnel issues and was experiencing a back-log of vehicles. Of course, we had to pay more for the rental vehicle.

But hey, if a 17-year old can get busted with a hand gun, a rifle and a sawed-off shot gun and then is released 24-hours later to constantly violate his release conditions, should we expect anything better when it comes to vehicle theft? :scratchhead:

Edited by westslope

Sometimes you have to take the law into your own hands.

That is often tough to do. Most of us are busy in one capacity or another. Our time is worth something.

Alas, the same cannot be said for our adversaries -- the typical thief of older, low market value vehicles.

But if I'm ever at the wrong place at the wrong time, well, I hope some of you will send me post cards while I languish in jail. Trust me, the end result will NOT be pretty. :D

I'm fixing up my WD21 and part of the plan is the factory alarm, an aftermarket alarm in addition and an imobilizer. We shall see how much full coverage is also.

Overkill?? Maybe, but I'll be damned after all the work I have done that I make it easy for anyone to steal and if it does happen, I want $ for it!!

How about my insurance company won't allow me to put full coverage on my baby...I need to find a new one...

B

I like the overall plan but would simply point out that here nobody where I live pays any attention to vehicle alarms. They are almost universally viewed as a public nuisance. Vehicle alarms are also hidden whereas an ignition immobilzer comes with a blinking light.

Me thinks a steering column lock would be a more effective deterrent given the profile of the typical older pathie thief, although clearly more time consuming to use.

all the crap ya put on yer ride to try and keep it safe is really only a deterent for the petty guys..sadly..the determined thief can always find a way. Hmmm...wonder if i can make the truck electrified..touch a door...ZAP!! Hehe..that'd be fun :)

How about my insurance company won't allow me to put full coverage on my baby...I need to find a new one...

Yes, you do!! You can insure anything you want, you just have to pay for it...

I like the overall plan but would simply point out that here nobody where I live pays any attention to vehicle alarms. They are almost universally viewed as a public nuisance. Vehicle alarms are also hidden whereas an ignition immobilzer comes with a blinking light.

Me thinks a steering column lock would be a more effective deterrent given the profile of the typical older pathie thief, although clearly more time consuming to use.

Same, somewhat about the alarms, but to me that is the first wave of defense. Besides, I know the sound of my alarm, and I will pay attention!! It is more to keep the item thieves away, where the immobilizer would be to frustrate the car thieves... :shrug: I'm still working it out.

all the crap ya put on yer ride to try and keep it safe is really only a deterent for the petty guys..sadly..the determined thief can always find a way. Hmmm...wonder if i can make the truck electrified..touch a door...ZAP!! Hehe..that'd be fun :)

True, hopefully no pro ever wants my $5000 truck... :D

I had a VW baja that was so easy to hotwire, I used to do it myself in seconds when I had a failing ignition switch. What I did was mount a second coil under drivers seat that was wired to a copper mesh under the thin seat cover and grounded to the seat rail. I had a toggle switch set so one position fired the coil back at the motor and the other position fired the coil under the seat. I'd set it for seat when I left the vehicle. As far as I know, it was never set off, and once I nearly tested it on a friend, but decided that was Wrong and didn't. The theory was that when you hotwired the Baja, you were sitting in the seat and 40,000 volts (racing coil). I've been blasted by coil wires and I sure as hell wouldn't want to sit on one!! :D

B

I believe the best way to deter item theft is to leave the vehicle interior empty and clean at all times.

Seems that people who get their vehicles broken into 'smash and grab' style typically leave lots of stuff lying about. Or in some cases, leave the doors unlocked.