Replacing studs in wheel

MadManMike

Hey guys...

So after I got my new tires the guy at Discount said that one of my studs was totally stripped (I am pretty sure it was done by les schwab) and so I have been driving with out one lug on my wheel for a few weeks now. Just yesterday I took the tire off and one of the lugs was really hard to take off (another stripped stud)... The guys at these tire places are too air-tool happy :(

Any way, so I call les-schwab and they say it's going to be $100 in labor to get them off (because it's the front tire)... so now I am going to do it my self.

What all is involved?

Is there better aftermarket studs that I can put in while I am in there?

-Mike

Hey guys...

So after I got my new tires the guy at Discount said that one of my studs was totally stripped (I am pretty sure it was done by les schwab) and so I have been driving with out one lug on my wheel for a few weeks now. Just yesterday I took the tire off and one of the lugs was really hard to take off (another stripped stud)... The guys at these tire places are too air-tool happy :(

Any way, so I call les-schwab and they say it's going to be $100 in labor to get them off (because it's the front tire)... so now I am going to do it my self.

What all is involved?

Is there better aftermarket studs that I can put in while I am in there?

-Mike

I just called a local wheel aligment place and they said "$50 per wheel"... So I think I am just going to do that... better than freezing my butt off in the snow/rain..

:D

If they're the ones who ripped the stud off in the first place, they should be the ones to replace it free of charge.

Yes, exactly. If they were the last ones who put them on, they have to deal with it. How long ago was it?

thats why I do my own tires/work ect.

Yep, what if you were on the side of the road and found out 1/2 of your studs were damaged? If I ever have a place put the wheels on, I tell them to snug them, put it in the parking lot and I'll tighten them. They usually argue they can't do that or how they use torque wrenches, etc. I just tell them I don't care and either they do as I say or they lose my business.

B

Yes, exactly. If they were the last ones who put them on, they have to deal with it. How long ago was it?

Yep, what if you were on the side of the road and found out 1/2 of your studs were damaged? If I ever have a place put the wheels on, I tell them to snug them, put it in the parking lot and I'll tighten them. They usually argue they can't do that or how they use torque wrenches, etc. I just tell them I don't care and either they do as I say or they lose my business.

B

The problem is I have no way of proving it was them, I had my old tires rotated about 6 months ago by Les Schwab. I hadn't taken off my front tires until I got new ones put on at discount tire, thats when they discovered the first bad stud. (although I did have some exhaust work done on my car since then and they could have taken off the tires).

I know I haven't taken off my new tires since I got them, and that's when I discovered the 2nd stripped stud... So that stud is definitely Discount tires fault.

And I know it's not me, I put my lugs on hand tight first then give them a tug with the tire iron... I don't use air tools for tires.

So any way, long story short. There is no way to tell who ruined the first one, the shop that I found charges $50 per wheel (both stripped studs are on the same wheel) so it is essentially free to fix the 2nd one.

It just makes me laugh... I mean you work with tires all day, that is YOUR only job and you strip the stud? how stupid can you be..

-Mike

The problem is I have no way of proving it was them, I had my old tires rotated about 6 months ago by Les Schwab. I hadn't taken off my front tires until I got new ones put on at discount tire, thats when they discovered the first bad stud. (although I did have some exhaust work done on my car since then and they could have taken off the tires).

I know I haven't taken off my new tires since I got them, and that's when I discovered the 2nd stripped stud... So that stud is definitely Discount tires fault.

And I know it's not me, I put my lugs on hand tight first then give them a tug with the tire iron... I don't use air tools for tires.

So any way, long story short. There is no way to tell who ruined the first one, the shop that I found charges $50 per wheel (both stripped studs are on the same wheel) so it is essentially free to fix the 2nd one.

It just makes me laugh... I mean you work with tires all day, that is YOUR only job and you strip the stud? how stupid can you be..

-Mike

LOL, dude, they work with tires all day. Tires. Enough said. Those studs are a PITA for an R50. I've messed up a few over the past few years. Can't figure how i do it, but I think i may be over torquing. Anyway, the whole rotor has to come off, which means the wheel bearing retaining nut and all that goes with it. If it's just one i usually wait till a convenient time for me to re-do it. It isn't an emergency thing IMHO. goodluck.

Pete

I witnessed a fairly major screw-up from Les Schwab once...bucket truck went in for tires. Came back and drove around for half a day before both dually tires on one side in the rear came completely off and rolled on down the hill.

They broke 6 out of 8 lugs off completely and it took half a day's driving to break the remaining two studs that were left. It's beyond me how you can break studs off and not notice, but hey...8 broken studs on one wheel says something went wrong at the shop. They paid for towing and repair.

I witnessed a fairly major screw-up from Les Schwab once...bucket truck went in for tires. Came back and drove around for half a day before both dually tires on one side in the rear came completely off and rolled on down the hill.

They broke 6 out of 8 lugs off completely and it took half a day's driving to break the remaining two studs that were left. It's beyond me how you can break studs off and not notice, but hey...8 broken studs on one wheel says something went wrong at the shop. They paid for towing and repair.

I doubt they didn't NOT notice, they probably just left it because they didn't want to deal with it.

I also had a problem with it at Les Schwab (Tumwater, WA) couple days later I went to take a tire off and had to jump up and down on a breaker bar just to make the lug nuts move!! :blink:

I called them up and got nowhere... drove down there and ended up having the raise my voice to near yelling, in a customer packed lobby, before they would do anything about it. And they fixed it in record time! :D

:jacked:

Eric (Mr. Reverse on AC) just posted up a similar issue that he had to fix, wasn't his or his shops fault, but he gets to do the repair on it.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...ge=0#Post590086

Back when I ran summer and winter tires in MT, Les Schwab tore 3 of my beads on the summer tires, telling me they would hook me up with 3 new tires, so I went to get the new ones and they would only give me $135... How I was gonna get 3 new tires for that I had no idea, after a few weeks of going back and forth I finally gave up because school was over and I had to go to and internship, I just told them to give me a free 31x10.5 tire and rim for a spare and cut my losses....

Actually just went through that process last weekend when replacing my tie-rod ends.

Its not super hard or technical, but it does take a bit of time. I was getting really pissed at Pep boys, because i had to replace 6 on just my fronts.... I learned a little bit though, that because the lugs and studs are very old, they get much easier to cross thread. If the lug nut has some small rocks or dirt, it can mess up the threads on the stud or the nut itself which then can mess up and cross thread when putting the lug back on.

I was looking to get a tap/die set to clean up the threads, but instead i just replaced all the ones that were even a little hard to put on. Figured, may as well why i'm at it. Got all new studs and lug nuts, cuz they're about a buck and a half a piece.

All you really have to do is take off your wheels, and remove the hub. The wheel bearings will probably need to be repacked with grease, so do that while you're at it. It's not difficult.

The only tool you'll need other than sockets, screwdrivers, and allen wrenches are some reverse pliers. I didn't have any, so i had to buy them at home depot. 20 bucks, but i know i'll use em a ton.

The reverse pliers are used when you have the hub off, and there is a little "C" shaped thing.... not sure what its called, that you have to remove in order to take off some other pieces. (what is stated below)

There are about 3 or 4 different circular washer shaped pieces inside the hub that you'll need to take out. One of them has threads, and you have to unscrew it.

Make sure though, when you put that piece back in you tighten it down enough. I didn't on one side, and the wheel was a little wobbly so i had to take everything back off and tighten it.

Other than that, once you get the circular piece that holds the studs, hit the trashed ones with a hammer, they come right out.

put the new ones in, and tighten the lug nut on them, so that the teeth will catch, and the new stud will be in.

Put everything back together and you're done!

I luckily did this job in my parents driveway when the Colorado weather was in the low low single digits. Of course it lasted into the night...

so that was fun :)

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

Edited by zeppelindrummer

Oh man! I just got done reading this and had a customer that came in with a vibration on his G sedan. On the test drive he tells me that he just had his 20in rims removed and reinstalled his facotry wheels. He took it back twice and they couldnt figure it out. I put it up on the rack and removed the wheels. I found that Les Schab forgot to remove the centering rings from his 20's. Went ahead and bolted the wheels up and crammed them down, not toqued. The customer is not so happy with them now. Thought it was kind of funny, myself!

The reverse pliers are used when you have the hub off, and there is a little "C" shaped thing....

Other wise known as a C clip and/or snap ring, hence the term 'snap ring pliers'. ;)

Glad you got it done. No it's not hard, just dirty and cold (I just replaced my wheel bearings on Saturday).

No idea what that is... to google I go!

By far the easiest way...

B