R50 subframe drop

tekazgtr1984

Really interested in adding some extra clearance to my '98 and a subframe drop seems to be the most likely option. Still doing the research (i.e. time, cost, etc.) and I'm doubtful on doing the most common 4.5" SF drop.

I've already got the 2" suspension lift, so I'm hoping to add an additional 3" at the most to make room for 33's.

If anyone's got any helpful info or suggestions, holla! I'm still debating on it... :scratchhead:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really interested in adding some extra clearance to my '98 and a subframe drop seems to be the most likely option. Still doing the research (i.e. time, cost, etc.) and I'm doubtful on doing the most common 4.5" SF drop.

I've already got the 2" suspension lift, so I'm hoping to add an additional 3" at the most to make room for 33's.

If anyone's got any helpful info or suggestions, holla! I'm still debating on it... :scratchhead:

make it 3"instead of 4.5"...

Im going to be putting on a 4 inch subframe drop this winter break, I will let yall know how it turns out.

And I always thought that everyone just wanted to go higher. I mean thats what I want at least. Everything is bigger in TEXAS after all :tonguefinger:

Don't tempt me :shiftyeyes:

cant wait to see the pics, i cant afford gettin one :thumbsdown:

Well there are going to be plenty of pics I can promise that. The lift is going on then its going on a wheeling trip with some friends with full size Chevys some SAS'd at a private off road park that was rented out for the weekend :wiggle:

And even if you get a smaller lift, Its still going to cost about the same

Well there are going to be plenty of pics I can promise that. The lift is going on then its going on a wheeling trip with some friends with full size Chevys some SAS'd at a private off road park that was rented out for the weekend :wiggle:

And even if you get a smaller lift, Its still going to cost about the same

i agree with that, I already have the 2" springs and longer ranchos, just dont have the funds during the semester...bad timing for me :itsallgood:

I would give my left nad to lift mine, but with kids..... Are you fabbing the kit yourself? If so, would you be willing to sell some patterns?

No Im getting my lift done by another member, Its a 4 inch subframe lift with a 2 inch suspension for a total of 6 inches of lift, allowing for 33 inch tires. PM me if you want contact info for the member thats making the lift. And im going to post the install so yall can see how it works out, Ill happily be the Guinea Pig lol

The main reason that everyone is dropping the subframe 4.0" and not less is because of the steering. Since the whole rack gets moved down, another universal joint is added to lengthen the steering shaft and make the angles not quite so harsh. Keith deserves the credit for figuring that one out. Less can be done, but I'm not sure of anyone who has tried it.

I'd really like to build a few things for these vehicles once I find some time. Between school, my Pathfinder, building a friend's rolled Land Cruiser, and building a Tacoma long travel setup I have no time anymore. When I get some of these things done I'd like to spend some time building an R50 lift that is bigger than 2" without some of the flaws of the subframe drop kits. The only issue is finding people to buy them, but there is no way to gauge that until it's built. Oh, and the fact that I don't really have a Pathfinder to mock the lift up on anymore. :tongue:

Edited by tmorgan4

If you were working on a 2" sub-frame drop, could you not simply use a 2" block to bolt between parts of the rack (steering gear)?

On the Japanese off-road site that was sperad around here a year ago or so they have a 6" subframe drop that only uses an aluminum block in the steering gear to extend it...of course their kit is $3400 before shipping!! WoW!

Spacing the steering rack off the subframe is an option. I have seen the simple blocks that are used on the Japanese kits as well. These would all work to a certain amount of lift. Nobody that I know of has really researched it enough to know exactly how much. I've got a lot of cool ideas, but most of them would probably cost a lot more than people would want to spend.

Spacing the steering rack off the subframe is an option. I have seen the simple blocks that are used on the Japanese kits as well. These would all work to a certain amount of lift. Nobody that I know of has really researched it enough to know exactly how much. I've got a lot of cool ideas, but most of them would probably cost a lot more than people would want to spend.

I figured time and cost are always the downsides to this type of modification. Damn unibodies! :tonguefinger:

Anyway, I've seen the subframe drop done in Japan and other parts of Asia, varying from 2" to 6" but I doubt I'd like to go that high. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal for me, just enough to give it the badass look.

In any case, I still would need to learn more about this whole process. Maybe if I can get my filthy mitts on a VQ 5-spd at some point this would be do-able.

Honestly...my 5-speed VG did great with 35s on stock 4.6 gearing. I could chirp the tires in second if I tried really hard. Somehow mine was quite a bit faster on 35s than a friends 5-speed 1st generation Xterra with 32s.

If you have an auto there are a few things you can do. If you have a manual...you're good to go.

The only issue is...the fact that I don't really have a Pathfinder to mock the lift up on anymore. :tongue:

since your SAS is just about done, i'll trade you my Pathy so you can mock up the subframe drop, while i drive yours. ;)

yea Chris, are you talking about a block at the rag joint (the rubber piece in the steering shaft that flexes) that would space the rack out just enough for a 2 inch subframe drop? I cant completely remember but i believe it can be done (taking Max's apart so long ago havent seen another r50 up close)

Yeah like Tyler said, the steering extension is an issue theres like a minimum length that you need to have or else it wont work if you're going the route by adding another u joint. The smallest ive been able to get away with is a 3.5" subframe drop. Im running a 4" right now in my black r50. The biggest issue is having people buy them. Ive managed to fix the flaws that ive encountered with lifts ive built.

Hmmm, a 3.5" SFD seems pretty good to me; what of the side effects though? :scratchhead:

I'm debating on form vs. function when considering this type of application. Cost/material and time are also factors worth consideration.

Would it be more feasible to just buy a non-unibody Nissan and give it a BL/SL combo?

Not really more cost effective. With any frame based Nissan, you have to worry about steering after lifting and fitting bigger tires. Stock simply isn't good enough. The costs difference is probably negligible.

Yeah for sure it is not going to be anymore cost effective at all to get another truck and mod that. If anything I imagine that you would lose money. I mean im getting a 6 inch lift for a fraction of what it cost my friend to lift his chevy 6 inches. To me this is a dream come true to do this to a Pathfinder- I love my baby