R50 subframe drop

tekazgtr1984

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna be the original guinie pig for Alex's SFD lift (I wheel completely differntly than he does). We started talking about everything back in August of '07 & he's been working on one for me since like December of '07 & he's getting fed up working on my sh!t I figure.

I was gonna be the original guinie pig for Alex's SFD lift (I wheel completely differntly than he does). We started talking about everything back in August of '07 & he's been working on one for me since like December of '07 & he's getting fed up working on my sh!t I figure.

Fed up? Isn't it just the same 4" SFD like the rest? :scratchhead:

Well heres the real reason. Its just not worth it to me. Ill explain everything. I have to drive down to the metal mart store like 20 minutes away and get all the metal, then i have to drive to the tear-a-part and find the exact steering joint and dig through all this crap to get it out, then i have to drill the 1/4" blocks which is the biggest pain in the ass its just not worth it anymore. I owe 4 people lifts and im going to finish and deliver those 4 and then im done building lifts for people. 1 its a huge pita, 2 it doesnt work well with my schedule and 3 who the hell would wait a year for a lift? I commend boston for putting up with me so long. I've realized that I cant really do this part time. Its just too much for me at least. Now if you guys want to know how to build one, ill post up a how to thread. I dont see why it should be a monopoly haha. Boston, yours is almost done, andrew yours is half way, and tekaz your blocks are drilled. They will probably all finish around the same time.

SO with all that out of they way, for those who dont feel like reading, im stressing out and cant deal with building lifts. haha. The money I get from it seriously isnt worth the amount of stress i get out of it.

So like i said. Everyone shall receive theres in no more then 2 weeks. I plan on finishing all of them by the weekend and having them out by the first of next week.

SO with all that out of they way, for those who dont feel like reading, im stressing out and cant deal with building lifts. haha. The money I get from it seriously isnt worth the amount of stress i get out of it.

Don't lie, for a good long while, & maybe still I don't know, it wasn't the lift that had you stress-the-hell-out...

Ugh, haha im finding more things to improve with this lift, I figured contracting some of the pieces to different companies with laser table jet machines or whatever is faster and cheaper so I might be going this route. So I might be able to build more. My whole plan is to get all the pieces just shipped to my house, i weld them up and put it all together and then they get shipped to the customer.

Well heres the real reason. Its just not worth it to me. Ill explain everything. I have to drive down to the metal mart store like 20 minutes away and get all the metal, then i have to drive to the tear-a-part and find the exact steering joint and dig through all this crap to get it out, then i have to drill the 1/4" blocks which is the biggest pain in the ass its just not worth it anymore. I owe 4 people lifts and im going to finish and deliver those 4 and then im done building lifts for people. 1 its a huge pita, 2 it doesnt work well with my schedule and 3 who the hell would wait a year for a lift? I commend boston for putting up with me so long. I've realized that I cant really do this part time. Its just too much for me at least. Now if you guys want to know how to build one, ill post up a how to thread. I dont see why it should be a monopoly haha. Boston, yours is almost done, andrew yours is half way, and tekaz your blocks are drilled. They will probably all finish around the same time.

So like i said. Everyone shall receive theres in no more then 2 weeks. I plan on finishing all of them by the weekend and having them out by the first of next week.

Wow, after a busy semester and a lack of time to check NPORA so much stuff happens!

Glad this didn't go the way of pradolifts...haha, but anyway, it would be awesome if you made a how-to thread on your subframe drop! I have been really really close to selling my Pathy (begrudingly) and buying a yota or something for some extra lift. Of course, I would rather spend the extra time and labor (and stress) with a good looking R50...

Now it's time to go look for a new Pathy...(black on black 04...wooooo)

But yea, a how-to/faq/q&a would be great.

Edited by norcalpathy

Yeah I might end up doing that. I worked out a deal with a company that will laser cut all the pieces that are crucial, like the strut spacers and rear spacers so maybe i can sell the complex pieces and you guys can make the more simple ones at home.

That sounds like a good medium, makes it easier for you and more accessible for other Pathy owners. (question, was there any problem with auto pathys vs manuals in the subframe drop?)

Edited by norcalpathy

Nope, my 96 was an automatic and my 02 is a manual. No problems with the different drivetrain. This will work on VG and VQ series with auto/manual trans. The company cutting all the pieces i need for the lifts will be doing that tomorrow then ill get that shipment and then ill be delivering lifts. Right now im actually working on a secondary shock setup for the front. When im done with my suspension i'll probably be running a custom lower control arm, modified strut spacer and a longer axle for more travel which means ill also need to figure something out for steering. I'll be running the stock strut setup, and bilstein 7100 series shocks on the front and rear. 6" travel front and 12-14" travel in the rear depending on if i decided to replace my rear control arms with custom units. After that ill be working on putting air bumpstops in the front and rear to make those landings a little smoother. And im also working on a way to reinforce the strut body, ive bent struts in the past.

oh and some of you guys might think this is cool. uniframe skids, for when just sliders arnt enough...

Edited by nissandoms47

Just some 1/4" x2" strap welded to the bottom of the frame most likely. Nothing too difficult but ive never seen something like that on an r50. Personally I really need it down here since im always up in the rocks.

Sounds like they'll be badass to me dood! :aok:

I rarely find myself up in the rocks but I think sliders are just all-around smart to have on a rig. It provides ample protection to the sides just in case. ;)

K guys. Question for you guys. Depending on how the next week or so goes the price on building these lifts might go down a good bit. But I want your feedback. What would YOU guys pay for a 4" SFD??? Just the SFD, no new struts, AC coils, rear extended shocks. Just the brackets and spacers and steering extension etc. I want to be able to offer this at a price that everyone can afford but not so cheap that im just doing it for free.

I also what your constructive criticism. but not too constructive lol. Feel free to send me a PM too.

also tell me what other products you guys want that could possibly be built. Dont say things like bolt on SAS cuz thats not possible lol. Ive even thought of it.

Edited by nissandoms47

K guys. Question for you guys. Depending on how the next week or so goes the price on building these lifts might go down a good bit. But I want your feedback. What would YOU guys pay for a 4" SFD??? Just the SFD, no new struts, AC coils, rear extended shocks. Just the brackets and spacers and steering extension etc. I want to be able to offer this at a price that everyone can afford but not so cheap that im just doing it for free.

I also what your constructive criticism. but not too constructive lol. Feel free to send me a PM too.

also tell me what other products you guys want that could possibly be built. Dont say things like bolt on SAS cuz thats not possible lol. Ive even thought of it.

To be honest, I have no idea what a subframe drop usually costs or what your costs currently are. Heh.

i gotcha. i just injured my hand big time. cut it trhu the tendon and everything. so i guess ill see how good i am at one handed welding.

Jesus H Christ Alex!... you gotta be more careful than that... I bet your head was somewhere else, wasn't it?... well I hope you're alright & heal quick