how to bypass daytime running light module(canada)

keelhaul

For years I have had problems with headlights coming and going, mostly the right side high and low beam. Recently both right side lights went out and wouldn't come back on. Being a cheapskate and not wanting to pay $300 for new module I decided to bypass it.

I did not take pictures but I thought i would share what I learned.

The way I did it was break apart the module case for access to circuit board. I de-soldered the circuit board from the plug-in front piece. I then soldered 4 inch covered wires between the contacts on the back side of front piece. After I was done I simply plugged it back in to the 3 plugs and I now have all my lights minus the daytime running lights. Daytime running lights are law in Canada but I dont care. Below is a schematic showing which points to jump.

guidecopymd2.jpg

Sounds like quite a bit of work just to render one's truck technically illegal... I wish it was like some domestic vehicles where you just removed the DRL fuse and that's it. I've been having problems with my '98 and its DRL module: it works half the time... Oh well. :shrug:

youre telling me that every car in canada is driving around with headlights on 24/7????

you can get pulled over for no headlights in the daytime?

wow!

1992 vehicles and up require Daytime Running Lights. It's like super lowbeams... Yes, we all know it's a very stupid law. :scratchhead:

I thought they became law up here for the 1989 model year, but according to Wikipedia, it was 1990 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp ).

Personally, I wouldn't give up my DRL equpped vehicle after having a couple close calls ( oddly enough both times were with US plated vehicles that DIDN'T have DRL's or headlights on !!! ) in the daytime.

Proven to save lives, but if you run around with your low beams on all the time, what the hey eh !! It will technically fail an inspection order !!

Proven to save lives? I wonder just how 'extensively' the research was made in pursuit of this law. That makes me wonder why no other country recognizes or enforces such a law? I still call bullsh*t on this 'law' and I think it's just a money grab for the feds (what else is new?) but I still wouldn't break it for having no DRL's...

Proven to save lives? I wonder just how 'extensively' the research was made in pursuit of this law. That makes me wonder why no other country recognizes or enforces such a law? I still call bullsh*t on this 'law' and I think it's just a money grab for the feds (what else is new?) but I still wouldn't break it for having no DRL's...

Check that link above to get some basic facts before spouting off. Required in several countries, some before Canada. And I would not go without them, they have saved my bacon on a few occasions.

And how would it be a "money grab"? We do not pay a DRL tax, just a bit up front when the vehicle is new. So that would be big bucks I guess, GST on $200 or so maybe?

Check that link above to get some basic facts before spouting off. Required in several countries, some before Canada. And I would not go without them, they have saved my bacon on a few occasions.

And how would it be a "money grab"? We do not pay a DRL tax, just a bit up front when the vehicle is new. So that would be big bucks I guess, GST on $200 or so maybe?

I'm not spouting off though. And besides, Wikipedia isn't the ideal place to get so-called "facts" either. So if you think I'm spouting off, my apologies. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone here for expressing my opinion, and especially if I come across as someone who just shoots his mouth off.

The US doesn't totally enforce that law, and they have 10x more drivers on the road. The truth is the automaker makes the final call stateside anyhow. Japan doesn't have that law either and there are millions of cars on the road there too. And as far as I remember, most of Europe enforces it with several conditions, therefore it isn't totally regulated as it is here in Canada.

And I do understand the law is always being changed and re-interpreted; it is not absolute in any way.

And yeah, I would consider it a money grab for the gov't. If a vehicle doesn't have this equipment, it needs in order to pass safety. Here in Manitoba, that is strictly enforced and ends up costing more than it should. Therefore, in my mind, I consider that a tax grab. Just my opinion. I didn't ask you to agree with it.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I see the benefit in having DRL's from a safety perspective. But I don't think it is worth $300 to replace Nissan's POS module. I have seen this same problem a couple times around the forumss with the DRL's. IMO DRL modules should be warrantied for life just like seatbelts. I will continue to run with my lowbeams on whenever my automatic lights dont turn on(which is seldom under canada's short overcast winter days). DRL are not really enforced in Alberta by police or through safety inspections as far as I know. BTW I didn't mean to start fights just trying to pass on some money saving knowledge.

Nope, you're at liberty to discuss any issue related to vehicles on this forum, so kudos to you for initially addressing it. No need to take the blame for other people having issues with others' opinions.

I was just expressing my thoughts on this DRL controversy, and I did in fact look at Wikipedia before throwing in my 2 cents. Wikipedia isn't always the ideal place to get those kinds of "facts" so I was calling bullsh*t on what I think is not a very pragmatic law in terms of road saftey. That's all it was. An opinion.

Anyways, I'll can the ranting. :tonguefinger:

But for the record, I'm not blaming you for putting this DRL topic on here. :happy:

On my truck, the DRL module must be shot as my DRL's are my high beams at full power. And I discovered that only the drivers side one works and someone just spliced a wire across to the other one. I see tons of vehicles around here, some older some newer, not even nissans, with no DRL's. I only thought they had to work for a safety inspection. My dad drove for 3 years with only 1 drl working on his 93 pathy and the "po" never bothered him about it....

It's common for the DRL module to go in our trucks.

Take the module out, and slide the plastic case off.

You should be looking at a printed circuit board.

Flip it over to the side with all the solder joints (components facing down)

look closely at all the connections (a magnifying glass may be required)

you will find 90% of the time that a joint has gotten hot and come disconnected from the board.

Use a soldering gun and re-solder the connection, put it all back together and it should work.

10% of the time it's an actual component on the board that has failed, but 90% of the time it's just a joint.